goldz April 17th, 2016 4:30am

Just took the political compass test and found that on a left-right scale, I am exactly in the middle. If you've taken the political compass test, did your results surprise you? (If not link attached)

04/17/16 10:36 pm

What other crazy stuff do Jews get blamed for?

04/17/16 10:38 pm

We're plotting to take over the world. We're the socialists. We're the capitalists. We're the greedy bankers that destroy the economy. We manipulate the media.

04/17/16 10:46 pm

I thought the Muslims were the ones trying to take over the world. Is this jewish-takeover conspiracy less popular than the Muslim one?

04/17/16 10:51 pm

Probably less popular. It was pretty popular in the 19th and 20th centuries.

04/17/16 10:51 pm

But it's ridiculous, and with Islam too.

04/17/16 10:52 pm

There are people who think that my two year old sister is already a socialist plotting to overthrow the government as she makes her millions being a rich banker. They actually believe that.

04/17/16 10:59 pm

A two year old? How absurd! But there'd be no complaint from me if Jews were socialists πŸ˜‰

04/17/16 11:00 pm

Actually historically we have been- Marx and Engels both were, Noam Chomsky is.

04/17/16 11:02 pm

Oh I didn't know Marx was Jewish. I guess Luft is right that Jews must be revolutionaries!

/s

04/17/16 11:04 pm

Haha he's right on that! Oh and I forgot to mention Bernie and his political revolution.

04/17/16 11:07 pm

You're right! And I believe Obama's SCOTUS nominee is Jewish. Marick Garland or something like that

04/17/16 11:10 pm

Yeah he is! Luft was pretty upset about that.....and you'll like the fact that in the Torah there are lots of egalitarian ideals. For example it was the first system of government to regard all people as equal before the law and deserving of rights regardless of birth. I guess that's why all the European Jews who studied Torah were socialists...😊

04/17/16 11:13 pm

Is there more to the Torah than the first five books of the OT? I must admit, I'm not too knowledgeable about other religions, but I know the Bible and its history like the back of my hand.

04/17/16 11:15 pm

The OT is just the beginning. There's thousands of years worth of commentaries and the there's the Oral Torah which was written down when the Jews started to separate. And there's five books of Chumash, but then there's another nineteen of Prophets.

You used to be Christian? You mentioned you rejected religion.

04/17/16 11:22 pm

Yes, I rejected it around the same time I adopted libertarian socialism. It actually started from the same source, when I was first learning about abolishing hierarchy. It sent me on a quest about religion. I concluded that there is no current scientific proof for a deity. From there I went on to study the texts. Not only did I find parts to be terribly immoral, a lot of it seemed to me to be mythology like the Greeks'. The Greeks didn't believe their mythology literally, but that it could teach a moral lesson. Basically I concluded that biblical texts can't suffice for historical accuracy.

04/17/16 11:29 pm

Right, I get you because I went through a while when I kind of rejected religion. Christianity never made sense to me for many reasons, all of which I'm sure you know.
It's really hard for science-minded people to come to terms with religion and many don't and that's okay. But evolution has plenty of holes in it. If you want I can explain in depth. So I figure, so far we don't have a theory for how the world came into existence besides for a Supreme Being. And that idea works and can explain everything. So if you think about it it's the most scientific idea out there, as strange as that sounds.

But I don't expect everyone to convert, and in fact Judaism specifies not to go around converting people.

04/17/16 11:30 pm

Judaism specifies that we shouldn't go around attempting to convert people. We're very open to concerts but we don't believe in attempting to convert people ourself.

04/17/16 11:38 pm

From my research, evolution seems pretty rock solid. And when I first rejected religion, I listened to a lot of theoretical physicists debate with religious people to hear both sides. User firefly is a physicist and a Christian. I talked with him and he explained that while our understanding of the quantum world is quite limited, what we know so far is that it is hypothetically possible for something to come from nothing. A talk I listened to by Professor Lawrence Krauss and he showed that the net energy in the universe is 0, which is another piece of evidence for how the universe could come from nothing. He has a book called "A Universe from Nothing" that I've been intending to read.

04/17/16 11:39 pm

And the whole conversion thing about Christianity (in retrospect) really bothers me, because it seems really imperialistic, and as you know based on my foreign policy, I don't support.

04/18/16 4:17 am

I've never heard the quantum physics perspective, only the traditional science perspective. I'll look it up.

What part of Christianity is imperialistic?

04/18/16 4:17 am

Oh I misread your post. Conversion.

04/18/16 4:19 am

It was imperialistic - they instituted policies against Jews and Muslims for the sake of conversion. For example the Spanish Inquisition where all Jews and Muslims were told get out of Spain, convert, or die.

04/18/16 4:31 am

And on evolution, the main holes in it are
1. For the first life form to develop, the world would have to have a sort of "soup" of all possible nutrients. But it's paradoxical because such a soup would require an oxygen free environment and no ozone layer, so any life that came would be irradiated.
2. They found that yes, animals can mutate and evolve, but it only lasts a few generations and then snaps back or breaks. Ernst Mayr, a geneticist, was able to breed flies with between 25 and 56 bristles, but any more or less the samples died out. Francis Hitching found that when mutant genes created eyeless flies, it continued for a few generations creating eyeless flies, and then suddenly flies with eyes began to appear.
And even if the earth had been covered in amino acids six miles deep and reactions took place in every micron, then there is a 1/10^39950 (so a 1 with 39951 zeroes) that a single bacterium ever evolved.

04/18/16 7:11 am

As for the original spark, no one knows how it happened. Scientists are looking into it. I personally just think it's not wise to assume that since we don't know how it happened that god must have done it.

The proof for evolution is pretty simple. Basically changes in the genetic code over long periods of time would result in a lot of changes. And we have 'transitional' fossils like the Archaeopteryx and many others which support the idea that large changes in the genetic code can result in significant physical changes.

04/18/16 7:17 am

Right, but when they tried to replicate evolution in a lab by breeding animals with the same genetic mutations, when they mutations went too far the animals simply became sterile. The next time they tried it with a different mutation. The animals produced mutated children for a few generations and then - against all odds - a few non-mutated animals were born. When hey studied the genetic code it seemed to have snapped back.

04/18/16 7:39 am

But actually the main reason I'm religious is not because I believe in god (though I do.) The main reason is because even if I wouldn't be religious I would still be Jewish by ethnicity. And the religious way of living has kept my people going, and it's created a society structure that works, and it's given us a strong moral code. Basically it's worked.

04/19/16 9:41 am

What about domestic dogs? They don't revert back to wild wolves.

04/19/16 12:22 pm

Right - that isn't as much of a genetic change. Actually most Jewish commentators believe that the Big Bang and evolution occurred in some form, only that it was G-d that controlled it. We don't deny what's been scientifically proven. The Ramban for instance writes that it is impossible to understand Genesis without reading it symbolically.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/17/16 4:43 am

(-10, 0) Rounded to the nearest .2.

GreenBean17 Serious green bean
04/17/16 4:28 am

Go to isidewith.com and answer every question to get a very accurate reading

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/17/16 4:21 am

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15

Not surprising to me.

TierasPet
04/17/16 3:30 am

They didn't surprise me. I score zero every time.

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/17/16 2:20 am

-7.75 left/ right
-6.62 libertarian/ authoritarian

JohnBoy47 Jacksonville, FL
04/17/16 1:11 am

Slightly right and slightly libertarian. Described me just right though I think some of the questions are designed to bias people into going to the left.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/17/16 1:59 am

I actually hoped for cross hairs - dead center every which way. That's what I'm aiming at.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
04/17/16 12:21 am

Oh wow I just took it again as that score was from a few months back, it came out to -9.13 economic and -10 social.

Brilliant10 Ioway
04/16/16 11:06 pm

Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77
Not too shocking

gow488 Wisconsin
04/16/16 10:58 pm

Economic: 1.13
Social: -3.95
I think I'm more fiscally conservative then the test put me.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
04/16/16 10:56 pm

I take this every now and then. My results haven't changed much in the last few years. The latest:
Economic left/right -2.45
Social libertarian/authoritarian -8.76

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/16/16 10:36 pm

Yes. I was surprised that on this British test that everyone's been putting so much stock in, I didn't score nearly as far right as I actually am. That's what you get when you try to put the square peg of American Conservativism into the round hole of a British political scale test. πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Nik
04/16/16 10:44 pm

I think American conservatives have nothing like them in the world.
I'm sure you'd be surprised I landed as far left as possible

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/16/16 10:48 pm

Aren't European countries generally more left than America? What they see as center should be left in America. Given that, shouldn't you fall off the right boundary in a British poll?

04/16/16 11:09 pm

American conservatives are classical liberals. Europe has nothing like us.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/16/16 11:24 pm

Good points, all of you. Actually, IMO, as a Constitutionalist, I should be dead center in America, but the Progressive left has succeeded in their attempt to paint Constitutionalists as "Right-wing extremists."

04/16/16 11:27 pm

You're not just a constitutionalist though. From what I know, correct me if I'm wrong, you believe in trickle-down economics, less welfare. Nothing constitutional about that. I don't know what your foreign policy is but foreign policy has nothing to do with the constitution.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/17/16 12:16 am

I believe in a tiny, stripped-down federal government that takes the Tenth Amendment seriously and leaves most of the "governing" to states and municipalities, and leaves welfare to the churches and parachurch organizations. That's about as Constitutionalist as you can get.

04/17/16 12:18 am

Leaving welfare to the churches isn't Tenth Amendment. It isn't anything. It's an economic ideal.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/17/16 1:20 am

@Tom: in general, do you think only the federal government should be tiny, or does that extend to the state and municipal government? In other words, is it federal vs local or big vs small government?

Ritter97 St. Louis, MO
04/16/16 10:26 pm

4.13, -0.77. Very conservative, slightly libertarian

nib
04/16/16 10:02 pm

Slightly right (1.5), slightly Libertarian (1.85), but I found many of the questions to be vague.

04/16/16 10:05 pm

And very few policy questions too. More philosophy than politics.

04/17/16 10:35 pm

Philosophy is more important than specific policies because many worldviews don't fit in two a two answer dichotomy for policy positions.

JulieB The Lake House
04/16/16 9:54 pm

Very middle of the road, but slightly right and Libertarian. Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/16/16 9:50 pm

Not surprised at being pegged center Libertarian but only moderately (some authoritarian issues):

www.politicalcompass.org/yourpoliticalcompass?ec=-1.38&soc=-4.21

PrinceOberyn Vive LEmpereur
04/16/16 9:49 pm

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.31

Not at all.

susanr Colorado
04/16/16 9:45 pm

Only in that I didn't fall off the left side of the scale entirely. But basically, no, it wasn't surprising.

susanr Colorado
04/16/16 9:47 pm

I usually put the word "flaming" in front of "liberal" when describing myself.

04/16/16 9:48 pm

Really? I always assumed you were centrist. Not sure why come to think of it.....but I've never really discussed politics with you and you just seemed to me the kind to be moderate.

Nik
04/16/16 9:56 pm

Susan is an old hippie like meπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰

susanr Colorado
04/16/16 10:03 pm

Exactly, Nik.

goldz, I spent some years living in a commune, among a network of communes with unusual economic & social systems. I rejoined the "normal" world eventually, but I'm forever warped, er, influenced, by that thinking. I'm not naive enough to think that the whole US is interested in the radically different type of society I'd like to see (hell, most of us can't imagine life with Bernie Sanders as President, and he's a relative softie) so I "settle" for a more realistic future, but my *heart* is way off the left end of the scale, and I'm usually happy about any move in that direction.

04/16/16 10:04 pm

Really, Susan? Where did you live?

susanr Colorado
04/16/16 10:04 pm

San Francisco, in the late 60s and the first half of the 70s.

04/16/16 10:05 pm

Interesting. Commune meaning a libertarian socialist kind of living?

susanr Colorado
04/16/16 10:06 pm

Also we had a piece of land on a mountain in Oregon, from about 1970 on. We went back & forth between the city house and the country land, not all of us at once, but each of us just whenever we wanted a change.

susanr Colorado
04/16/16 10:10 pm

Like communal. Combined finances & resources, worked together (my commune ran a free print shop, and published a weekly artsy newsletter, hand delivered to any commune in the Bay Area that wanted it), daily meetings, all decisions made by consensus, group marriage. Emphasis on work, "karma yoga" (work without hope of reward).

Nik
04/16/16 9:43 pm

I was as far left as it allowed, didn't surprise me.

04/16/16 9:44 pm

What about the libertarian-authoritarian scale?

Nik
04/16/16 9:55 pm

-9 and -8.41, I make Gandhi look conservative πŸ˜ƒ

sydwel
04/16/16 9:38 pm

Right in the middle of the left-libertarian quadrant.

sydwel
04/16/16 9:43 pm

Not surprising really

sydwel
04/16/16 10:02 pm

I took it again to see- I've moved down. I'm about -5 L/R and -7.5 libertarian/authoritarian

veritas1 Panda
04/16/16 9:37 pm

I was somewhat left but pretty centrist economically (which I think is the left-right scale) and very libertarian on the up-down scale.

04/16/16 9:39 pm

Very close to my results!! I think you were on my SOH I agree with a few times too.

veritas1 Panda
04/16/16 9:40 pm

Nice! I haven't taken it in a while, but I think I was like -1 or -2 on the left right and -6 on the up-down.

Do you remember your numbers?

04/16/16 9:42 pm

I'm down 3 on the up down, exactly centrist on the right left. Last time I took it though I was something like 3 to the left.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/16/16 9:35 pm

I'm pretty deep in quadrant III.

04/16/16 9:36 pm

Funny enough is that last time I took the test, I was in quadrant three. I'm not sure what changed.