gjb2779
12/29/12 9:01 pm

I personally wouldn't give one as a gift to a child I know, but I have no issue ei those who do give the, to kids

Rocker saved by grace
12/29/12 5:14 pm

children won't lose respect for real guns if they use squirt guns.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/29/12 3:32 pm

Well then, obviously, it wasn't the gun(s) at all; the problem was the idiot who put those guns in the hands of those other idiots.

23 Texas
12/29/12 2:30 pm

Generally, but not with a majority of AU kids I know; they don't quite grasp the difference of a Nerf gun and a pellet gun and a real gun. Almost got shot once.

july475
12/29/12 9:07 am

What's the point of a squirt gun if you don't point it at someone

maverick11
12/27/12 10:31 pm

I think that introducing a toy gun in a child's life can help teach them respect for firearms. I was raised that way. Never point the squirt gun at anyone, even though it's a toy, that type of thing. That transfers over to real guns which I grew up around.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/27/12 2:31 pm

and I'm one of the least violent people you may ever meet.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/27/12 2:30 pm

just because a child has a toy gun doesn't mean they're going to graduate to real guns or get the wrong message. if you're a good parent, they'll be learning from you and not from their toys. I had a fake rifle when I was 8 and had to write a biography on and dress up as Annie Oakley

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/27/12 6:35 am

Damn straight. I didn't get nearly the ass-beatings that I deserved, but the ones that I did get helped me turn out alright.

partyrocker Ohio
12/26/12 8:14 pm

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!" ;-)

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/26/12 4:16 pm

I suggest you teach them Honor, Courage, Commitment, and Love; the greatest of those being REAL, GENUINE Love.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/26/12 12:51 pm

Susanr, you come across as an ignorant jackass. Yes, men kill animals for the thrill. It's called hunting, and it's kept the human race alive for a great many years. That little boy was demonstrating that he is becoming a capable, skillful, and daring man. That's men, like it or not.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 12:47 pm

Oh, sorry, pinky, I see now that you already told TopsQueen that the boy wasn't bragging about killing for fun. I guess that means you know more about what a child you've never met meant, than the person who takes care of him.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 12:43 pm

pinky, that's what a *man* does? Kill things for the fun of it? I must not know many *men* then.

susanr Colorado
12/26/12 12:40 pm

pinky - I can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

aph514
12/26/12 2:08 am

I grew up playing with toy guns and playing duck hunt and contra on nes. I only actually shot at ppl in Afghanistan. Idk, id prefer my 5 yr old not have to learn how to handle a gun. Certainly don't want him to see desensitizing violence in video games and on tv. Toys are one thing...

Herm31812 Pennsylvania
12/25/12 11:21 pm

All my brothers including me have had toy guns and we'd play forever and haven't killed anyone yet. So if I have to listen to another one of these annoying " it causes violence" I'm going to freak. You know what, be a real parent. If he was bad, beat him! It worked on me. Hell, parents are worse.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/25/12 9:45 pm

Real guns are ok. You just have to practice proper gun safety.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/25/12 9:44 pm

He wasn't bragging about killing the bird for the fun of it. He was pointing out that he has started down the road to manhood (i.e. providing for himself and his family). He should be congratulated!

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/25/12 9:40 pm

@susan, all of those other things may as well have been Barbies for the interest I had in them if the choice was between Legos, etc. or a toy gun. Guns won every time.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/25/12 9:34 pm

As long as it dies, it is cool because it means BAR-B-Q!!!
Although I must say, 20 yards with a .270? That marksmanship needs a little work if it wasn't a quick kill.

RepTexIan
12/25/12 9:32 pm

Hes by brother not my kid

RepTexIan
12/25/12 9:31 pm

I am 14 and "cops and robbers" with my 4year old he always picks the robber and holds his gun at an angle like a Gansta

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/25/12 9:28 pm

I always wanted to be the cop/cowboy/good guy over the robber/indian/bad guy, for sure.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/25/12 9:25 pm

Boys WILL HAVE toy guns whether they're made of plastic, and look like an AR, or whether they're made of a curved stick and some imagination. I know, I was one.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/25/12 7:09 pm

Just be firm, but fair.

parislondon22 Pennsylvania
12/25/12 5:39 pm

I never thought about things that way ! Which is a good idea .... But the world we live In today is just so crazy you just don't know what to tell your children anymore

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/25/12 4:09 pm

Instead of being all, "Oh my God, guns! So scary!", take the practical approach and teach them gun safety. Much less chance of a mishap. And, if you think the kid's a little "off", don't teach them about guns; get them help. Simple.

sauncon
12/25/12 3:16 pm

I didn't allow any toy guns but my son just made them with duplos, Legos, alpha blocks, sticks, or whatever else he could find. We gave up and bought him a cap gun.

besmart
12/25/12 2:52 pm

Now as they are young adults, we go to the shooting range.

besmart
12/25/12 2:51 pm

When my kids were little, I didn't want them to have toy guns... Not even water guns. Then they made leggos into guns and cardboard into guns and I realized it was more important to discuss safety and how dangerous a gun could be in the wrong hands.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/25/12 11:02 am

"I triple-dog dare ya!"

buzzyboy
12/25/12 10:18 am

"You'll shoot your eye out kid"

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/25/12 5:12 am

Not that I ever would, but because I taught them the importance of gun safety and how dangerous guns could be, I could probably leave my firearm on the table and not worry about my kids playing with it.
If they want to play some sort of 'shooting' game when you're not around, they will.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/25/12 5:07 am

Mr. Spock, your Vulcan logic escapes me on this one.
Would you allow your children to play with any kind of shooting video game? Army action figures? Sticks resembling a firearm?
As a gun owner with children, I started teaching proper protocol as soon as they understood what a gun was.

blockfisher Clinton, CT
12/25/12 4:06 am

So where are these 1,000 year old guns you speak of? You don't need a gun to be active outdoors.

hapiotter3
12/24/12 8:25 pm

I didn't want my preschooler son to play with guns to keep him away from violence. When he turned a piece of toast into a toy gun, I gave up and bought him one. Today he is a well behaved, honors high school student. :)

commonman1 Peace
12/24/12 5:49 pm

Did you see when they gave a Barbie doll to a little boy he used it like it was gun. At least when they're playing with toy guns they take on the role of the good guy. The main thing is to always choose good over evil.

JP007
12/24/12 2:38 pm

Kids with guns Kids with guns! takin over, it won't be long.

Christian1
12/24/12 2:04 pm

Toy guns are fine for kids. They have to be taught to have proper respect and fear for real guns, but toy guns are not a problem.

truth1 Florida
12/24/12 1:47 pm

Almost all kids are fascinated by toy trains growing up, how many of them still play with trains?

- Adam corolla

mjohn620
12/24/12 11:08 am

You'll shoot your eye out! :)

Merry Christmas, all!

JennaF sunflower state of mind
12/24/12 9:58 am

Hey, if youre gonna give your kid a toy gun, you had better teach them that it's only ok to shoot someone if youre in danger.

EnginE3r Texas
12/24/12 9:24 am

I'd say its fine. I'd allow some nerf guns. But not any air soft or BB guns since those can actually cause damage. Well, not until they are older anyways.

tjm120 TARDIS
12/24/12 7:37 am

I think he meant guys getting pedis. He's probably a guy so I don't think he realizes the difference between getting and doing pedis. But I agree with the sentiment, giving pedis is a job, getting pedis is a girl thing.