JennaB April 15th, 2016 6:46pm

Have you ever been to San Francisco? If so what are some fun things to do and places to visit. The less touristy the better.

DavidB5356 West Hollywood
04/16/16 12:54 pm

If you like to smoke I'd suggest checking out the sutra bath ruins and adjacent parks. Great way to spend the day.

www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/cliff-house-sutro-baths.htm

fredd TrumpLand
04/15/16 5:52 pm

Depends on what kind of stuff you like. Personally, I loved the cable car museum. It's the power hub of the world's last operational cable car system, I love geeking out on stuff like that, but it depends on what else you like.

Like chocolate and ice cream? Stop at the Ghirardelli Soda fountain and get a giant cone to eat while you walk about the area.

Personally I just enjoyed wandering the neighborhoods and seeing what the areas are like. The roads are steep though, something to keep in mind. You might want to get a day ticket for the cable cars to ease your roaming.

fredd TrumpLand
04/15/16 5:59 pm

If you're also getting out of the city a bit (probably need a car) and have an interest in computers, also check out the Computer History museum in Mountain View. You can kinda skim through it in a few hours, but if you're an info-maniac like myself it will take at least a whole day to check out and read everything.

Also worth a stop, the Moffat Field museum next to Hanger One, an old airship hanger which was one of the world's largest freestanding buildings. Currently more of a structure as all the building panels have been removed. The museum is mainly about the history of airships in the US military, again kind of a niche interest.

Like nature? Really big trees? Muir Woods national monument has some giant redwoods a little north of SF. It's one of the few remaining areas of primary forest with some trees thought to be over 1000 years old. Traffic gets seriously congested though, go on a quiet day if you can. Again car is easiest but I heard there is a bus tour that goes there.

fredd TrumpLand
04/15/16 6:03 pm

I forgot, definitely go to Chinatown for food and just to roam. It actually reminded me a little of some parts of Hong Kong. To get an idea of how "unique" the area is, a community development guy told me that only about half of homes in the area have western-style flushing toilets. Yeah, finding a loo is tough but make sure you eat there at least once, best Chinese I've had in the USA so far.

HenryJRoberts Hmmm
04/15/16 4:49 pm

It was the absolute worst place I've ever visited. A complete lawless city with everyone walking around like zombies. The traffic is totally confusing and the roads are extremely steep . I suggest you visit some other place.

fredd TrumpLand
04/15/16 5:53 pm

Lol, can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

badattitude no place like home
04/16/16 3:59 pm

The beggars are really aggressive. Be careful. I've seen them drop their pants and poop right on the sidewalk in front of everyone. Liberal government won't lift a finger for fear of being labeled as... Something. But other than that a beautiful city with lots of great restaurants and fun things to do. Top of the Mark is a bar that is a stroll back in time. 1930's. Beautiful view. Have a crab dinner on fisherman's wharf. Ride a trolley car.

RJ1969 SoCal
04/15/16 4:33 pm

Just eat everywhere! Every place is great. Best food city I've ever visited.

fredd TrumpLand
04/15/16 5:59 pm

Definitely go to Chinatown for food.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
04/15/16 4:00 pm

I've been to SFO more times than I can count. I love going there for work or pleasure. It can be a gritty place though if you deviate too far from the 'tourist' areas. I'm not sure what you are into...but I would encourage you to do 'tourist' things. @Nik has great suggestions below, I would consider all those. It's a walking city...I like going up and down the hills. Get a transit pass so you can hop on and off cable cars. You can take a bus to Golden Gate Park or Haight Ashbury. Fishermans wharf is hard to avoid, tacky and harmless, just don't eat there. North Beach generally has the best restaurant choices. I love Alcatraz....add on the visit to 'Angel Island' totally worth it. If you like baseball, catch a Giants game.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/15/16 3:43 pm

I hear pillow biting is quite a popular thing the locals do there.

ozzy
04/15/16 3:42 pm

Haight-asbury hippie area near the park
Muir Woods
Alcatraz

ozzy
04/15/16 3:43 pm

Chinatown
Napa valley is not far
The bay bridge
Good seafood may the pier

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/15/16 3:35 pm

I haven't, but I just arrived in LA

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/15/16 4:11 pm

We just drove to Oxnard where my great aunt and uncle have a beach house they're letting us use. It's very nice.

ADLK1996 New York
04/15/16 3:00 pm

Try riding a bike up and down all the hills

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
04/15/16 2:47 pm

Japan town has a peace pagoda you should check that out. The Japanese and Chinese gardens are great.

Nik
04/15/16 2:17 pm

Stay away from the wharf, total tourist trap. Lombard St is kinda cool but honestly a waist of time. You can spend days in Golden Gate park, the art museums, Coit tower is cool, North Beach, If you have time head south to San Jose and tour the Winchester House.

ClayTownR California
04/15/16 12:59 pm

San Francisco in general is touristy. If you want to find more interesting things (and cheaper ones) head south to San Jose and the surrounding area.

sydwel
04/15/16 12:53 pm

I enjoyed going to Mount Tam and Muir Woods. We also drove a couple hours to
Monterey to check out the aquarium and the beach.

applechicken101 NY
04/15/16 12:02 pm

I'd rather be ubiquitously advertised as raping monkeys than go to that purgatorial wasteland