Korosensei April 15th, 2016 3:20am

Many anime have plots that are far more down to earth than most American tv shows (e.g. a show about a calligrapher who goes to the country to cool off after getting in a fight). Could these kind of shows sell well in a western market?

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/15/16 6:53 am

Sometimes. Some people from around here enjoy this kind of thing

Loxx I Love Foxes
04/14/16 10:45 pm

Yah, I'd say kind of. Or if we made western tv shows actually follow a plot and story line rather than just a random thing each episode

squishsquash23
04/14/16 10:24 pm

The fact is, anime or "Japanese Cartoons" have already flourished to small communities around America. Although I'm not a huge fan I still will watch it with my friends and it's just as exciting/interesting as an American tv show. They both have their pros and cons.

bethanyq Ess Eff
04/14/16 9:53 pm

I don't know that I agree that anime plots are more down-to-earth than traditional western plots. One thing I have noticed anime is that it is much more explicative, which I personally find incredibly off-putting. If I had to put my finger on one big difference between anime and western writing, that'd be it. Anime storytelling methodology is more "tell" whereas western methodology is more "show."

sydwel
04/14/16 9:24 pm

Unless there's still a way to incorporate scantily clad women and people getting shot in the show, probably not.

Ellock Perpetually Tired
04/15/16 1:34 am

You must not watch anime. There is a whole genre for that...

noveena Outer Space
04/14/16 9:08 pm

Barakamon was a very good show too. I hope shows more like this could potentially do well in America, after all I know I enjoy them.

Korosensei Maine
04/14/16 8:22 pm

To be clear these are shows with little to no conflict and a plot that is merely "main characters interact"

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/14/16 8:36 pm

The stories could definitely sell. You would have to convert it to live action and cast western actors or use digital animation. It would all have to be in English.