suppressedID April 13th, 2016 4:05pm

I'm late to the emoji game. Turns out I was right in the first place, as many are misconstrued (see link). Even the 😂 is confusing. Do you ever find emojis confusing in SOH posts?

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
04/16/16 11:21 pm

I don't use them, but I'd like to know more about these aubergine farms, please.

TierasPet
04/14/16 4:57 am

Yes, there are some I just don't get but I haven't spent much time trying either. If I don't understand the point, I move on. I hope professional communications never accept them because then I would need to care.

sydwel
04/13/16 8:14 pm

Yes. Sometimes they can help give a hint to the tone of the comment, but there can still be confusion. I texted someone with a different device yesterday and the emoji got changed so "That really stinks 😁" became "That really stinks 😄" They were confused as to why I was so happy about their problem.

DonWichita Kansas
04/13/16 6:39 pm

Confusing, yes, too small to read, yes, silly, yes.

JHawk3205 MD
04/13/16 5:36 pm

Emojis are dumber than hell. I'm ASCII or bust..

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/13/16 12:08 pm

Several of them are (probably intentionally) ambiguous in meaning and I actually prefer it that way.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/13/16 11:59 am

"tears of joy"? whatever.
In my circle of friends it is "laughing so hard you cry"

iBakes California
04/13/16 12:06 pm

That seems to be how everyone I know uses it too

MrMilkdud
04/13/16 11:37 am

I did a series on this a while back. IIRC, people generally agreed on whether emojis had a positive or negative sentiment, but had wide ranging ideas about their meanings.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
04/14/16 5:09 am

Which brings up an interesting point. I find a lot of acronyms confusing. I had to look up the meaning of IIRC, from your comment.

jvc1133 61535
04/13/16 11:06 am

Yeah, but it adds confusion to my confusing comments. ; )

susanr Colorado
04/13/16 10:48 am

I pretty much hate emojis, except for the most simple of them. The issue of them appearing differently on different platforms is beyond absurd - totally unhelpful. But even if they all appeared the same universally, people still interpret them differently. Honestly, I can never tell what people mean by the one described as "tears of joy." It just looks like tears to me. So I see it as negative (and I'll bet I'm not alone in that), while it might have been meant as a positive thing, so I have to account for that. But how?

How does this enhance communication, and clear up issues of not being able to detect emotion, sarcasm, not seeing body language, etc.? It just makes it way worse, to me.

And then there's the issue of not being able to even see what the expressions are supposed to be, on some of the little faces, or what object a picture is supposed to depict.

I just want to scream, Use your words!

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/13/16 1:16 pm

Words, while useful, cannot convey the nuances of emotion quite the same way images can.

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Why do we watch movies instead of simply reading the script? There is some inherent value to imagery, something that we don't get from textual media. I think it has a great deal to do with empathy. It's easier to relate to someone with a face and a name. It's easier to connect. It's easier to understand.

While emojis may not work for you because they're subject to interpretation, the same is true when we try to read people's emotions in person. Part of the fun and challenge in life is finding a way to connect to the people around us, and I think emojis are just the Internet's way of translating emotion into text.

jlong105 Indiana
04/13/16 2:52 pm

Why do we watch movies instead of simply reading the script?

Really??

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/13/16 10:04 am

A purple dildo? Man they have an emoji for everything

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/13/16 10:04 am

I can't say dilldo???

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/13/16 10:44 am

You're half eggplant

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/13/16 10:46 am

I should probably source that

m.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM

It's long but one of the greatest scenes ever

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
04/15/16 4:49 am

GREAT movie. Now I have to see it. 😊

iBakes California
04/13/16 9:15 am

Occasionally, IRL too, but I ended up picking the not answer because I couldn't pass up the opportunity to respond to something with unicorn eggplant tractor.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
04/13/16 9:21 am

I have to confess that I was selective in composing that option.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/13/16 9:13 am

It hasn't seemed confusing yet. Everyone on here seems to have the same ones that are on my iPad. For other devices that change the symbol - that would be confusing.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
04/13/16 9:23 am

I think the overall confusion the authors are highlighting isn't device-specific.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/13/16 12:36 pm

Ok. It's just that they showed someone sending this 😀 and ending up with this 😁