MJSeals April 13th, 2016 1:10am

"The problem with how people protest laws, like the religious freedom laws in North Carolina, is flawed because it hurts the people of that state, people who may not agree with the bill. Only more people end up suffering."

celloVirtuoso buried in sheet music
04/13/16 6:30 am

No matter what, someone gets the short end of the stick. Religious freedom laws allow certain groups to be denied service, but without them, religious people are forced to do things they don't agree with. I personally support the religious freedom laws simply because I believe anyone should be allowed to deny anyone else service for any reason. Morally, I don't agree with denying someone service, but politically I don't believe the government should mandate that sort of thing. If I walk into a sub shop and they don't want to serve me for whatever reason, I can just go to a different sub shop. I'm not gonna force them to conform to my beliefs or accommodate me.

Bobnpt The Ocean State
04/13/16 4:37 am

This is no different than the government putting economic sanctions on a country whose political policies are troubling. That hurts the people, too.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/13/16 4:13 am

The national news on this is so ignorant or blatantly malicious. The bill they're whining about *strengthens* existing "anti-discrimination" laws. It's just because there isn't much going on in the news right now and people are tired of the federal primaries.

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
04/13/16 1:38 am

Only the voters can change gov't. It brings it to their attention and makes it their problem too.
But just like its that states right to enact that law, it's other states right to ban travel or it's the businesses right to not do business there. It's the exact same thing.

GeneralDevin MN
04/13/16 12:24 am

I support the religious freedom laws of North Carolina and Mississippi. I also support the banning of men into women bathrooms and vice versa. I would instead suggest a third bathroom. One is men's only, the other is women only, and the third is a genderless option available for both sexes.

GeneralDevin MN
04/13/16 12:32 am

Keep in mind my support for this is after NC rolled back on some aspects of the anti-LGBT bill.

getupbaby South City
04/13/16 7:12 am

Get ready to see some dresses in the men's room and some beards in the women's. Do you even know what you're calling for?

jvc1133 61535
04/12/16 9:34 pm

Omg, I don't believe you.

Wino I need a drink
04/12/16 9:15 pm

It is in the business's best interest to not do business in states with laws that are anti-equality. They can't hire the best candidates when the candidates aren't willing to move there. Those businesses have the right to protect themselves from states that have ridiculous laws.

kscott516 EB rules
04/13/16 5:55 am

This is not an "anti-equality" law. You should probably read it before misspelling next time.

Wino I need a drink
04/13/16 12:11 pm

The "religious freedom" law is about anti-equality. You can try to reword and disguise it, but that's ultimately what it is.

kscott516 EB rules
04/13/16 12:51 pm

So the Christian bakers can't express their 1st amendment right?. Got it! You're a wonderful example of tolerance. Smh

Wino I need a drink
04/13/16 2:39 pm

Religion is a choice. Build a compound if you are only willing to serve people just like yourself. If you want to be part of society at large then realize your rights end where others' rights begin. If you serve, you serve all equally. Anything less is anti-equality.

kscott516 EB rules
04/13/16 4:27 pm

I guess you better write a letter to Shapes gym, Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, etc. You have NO rights to force anyone to do your bidding. Private business owners enjoy their freedom of religion too. So sorry that it breaks your heart but it's true.

Wino I need a drink
04/13/16 4:37 pm

Well, luckily, these businesses are just doing the same and not putting jobs where ignorance breeds. Pretty simple.

kscott516 EB rules
04/13/16 5:06 pm

Let them go away. Boycotting goes both ways, kiddo.

allswel Minnesota
04/12/16 8:05 pm

Obviously that is not being said by the same people who believe that everyone should have the right to do business with whoever they chooses to do business, like bake a wedding cake or anything like that. I believe their argument is that this is the most effective way to show your displeasure with abhorrent behavior.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/12/16 7:24 pm

Big business bullies

JDoe Its a gift
04/12/16 7:14 pm

Isn't it the people of the state that elect these clowns?

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 7:21 pm

Only 20.4% voted for him.

JDoe Its a gift
04/12/16 7:27 pm

Plus the 32% that didn't vote at all. It isn't "We the people..." for no reason.

Using your reasoning, no boycott makes sense. An organized boycott of any business, movie, organization, etc will hurt the employees or others within the organization.

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 8:11 pm

Yes, I believe no outside organization, whether big business or government, should really boycott another state's decision. That's for the people to decide this November when their governor is up for re-election. (Note: not saying they don't have the right to, I disagree with them doing so, aka my private opinion)

JDoe Its a gift
04/12/16 8:22 pm

If there's no pain or discomfort, there is little motivation to change.

If I think the government of China treats its people poorly, my company has every right to avoid doing business with them.

If I think the government of Saudi Arabia treats women poorly, my company has every right to avoid doing business with them.

If I think the government of North Carolina is treating people poorly, my company has every rich to avoid doing business with them.

Aren't all of these statements correct?

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 8:35 pm

No, because many of the companies boycotting North Carolina do a lot of work in China, and other nations where it is common knowledge they treat their people poorly. Here, they just see a publicity stunt and are putting people into poverty over it, even if those people voted against the people who made this bill into law.

JDoe Its a gift
04/12/16 8:44 pm

When you say "no", you mean it isn't right and they should not be allowed to make these kinds of decisions?

You keep talking about the people that didn't vote for him. This is the government that was voted in by the citizens of NC. They can, as a group stand by their elected officials or say that they don't properly represent the citizens. That's how it's suppose to work.

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 9:04 pm

Your argument holds the water of a colander. These groups work with nations and literal sweat shops, so no they logically can't protest or boycott that which they support.

Also, the whole point of our government is be able to reflect the *change* in people. Elected officials rarely are able to say they represent the majority of people in their district, state etc., but the majority who vote. The whole point of terms and term limits is to separate one election from defining a group of people. It's the same reason you can't say that the this is a Republican Nation because they hold the US house, Senate and the majority of Upper and Lower state houses. Or why we are not a democratic nation with a democrat as president.

JDoe Its a gift
04/12/16 9:09 pm

So you're standing up for the people that didn't even vote?

truspec Texas
04/12/16 6:35 pm

Disagree. What other way would send such a big statement? The protesting businesses hope that they either reverse the decision, or the voters who are hurt by this decision show up to vote people out

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 6:45 pm

A company promises 250 people jobs they need. They have, for months, planed their lives around the idea they are getting these jobs. Now, they aren't coming. Now, more people are without a steady livelihood. (Deutsche Bank)

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/12/16 7:22 pm

That's shameful.

truspec Texas
04/12/16 9:00 pm

Well then I bet those people won't vote for the idiots that passed the law, which puts a lot of pressure on the politicians as intended. What other forms of protest would be as effective?

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 9:06 pm

Other than forcing people into poverty? Um, a lot. News interviews, letters, campaign donations, endorsements, public statements etc. there's a whole department that is supposed to specialize in stuff like this.

Wino I need a drink
04/12/16 9:09 pm

There were warnings and statements made stating that if a law like this were passed, businesses would leave and/or no build. The execs made it known to top lawmakers. Calls were made and ignored.

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 6:15 pm

Population of North Carolina - 9.944 Million
Votes Governor McCrory received in 2012 - 2,440,707

MJSeals J.D.
04/12/16 6:17 pm

Some 2,030,000 voted against him. (Libertarian + Democrat)