ShawPPM1214 April 11th, 2016 4:26pm

Is it hypocritical for singer Bryan Adams to cancel his show in Mississippi over their religious liberty law regarding homosexuals, but still perform in Qatar where there is the death penalty for being gay?

TheSocialist INTJ
04/11/16 11:40 am

He is protesting domestic problems. He doesn't need to care about foreign allies' laws.

ndull Minnesota
04/11/16 3:58 pm

"He doesn't need to care?" Why's that? If he truly cares about "gay rights" he should care about their law in Qatar.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/12/16 9:15 am

No, he is from the US so he only needs to care about domestic moral issues.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
04/11/16 11:13 am

Oh it totally is. I do not care. Still sends a message to Mississippi. He'd prefer to play for slavers and barbarians than for the fucking people of Mississippi. Here's another difference between Qatar and MS. He can help cause change there. Qatar is not going to buckle to economic and external pressure any time soon. Mississippi is our poorest, fattest, stupidest and most dependent state. In enough time we can strangle these motherfuckers into submission. I hope we do. Mississippi and states like it need to stop acting like this is the 1950s and get their heads out of Jim Crow's asshole.

JHawk3205 MD
04/11/16 10:42 am

Mississippi ain't rich like Qatar tho..

JHawk3205 MD
04/11/16 3:57 pm

Not in the least bit. But when a rich public figure wants to maximize revenue, they're probably willing to make one small sacrifice, count on people not knowing about the hypocrisy, then make it up in a more

JHawk3205 MD
04/11/16 3:58 pm

Profitable venue, all while under the pretense of actually caring. It's how much of capitalist America and globalized industries work, although it doesn't necessarily include the sacrifice part.

susanr Colorado
04/11/16 9:59 am

After doing some poking around, I see that he did a concert in Qatar on Dec. 16, 2010, but I don't see any upcoming concerts scheduled there (although it's a little hard to tell the way the concerts are listed on his web site). Maybe he had a change of conscience between 2010 and now; maybe, as scotty suggests below, he sees an opportunity to influence change in the US. At any rate, it doesn't seem fair to call him hypocritical especially because of something in the *past*, without knowing if there's any reason for a seeming discrepancy.

ShawPPM1214 Washington
04/11/16 10:54 am

I think it is fair game to call people into question based on past actions..I do that about every candidate or people who've taken up causes that I support. It just makes him look bad for him to be ok going into Qatar and then not go to Mississippi.

scottymcgee Nebraska
04/11/16 9:52 am

Not hypocritical because his refusal to play in America might actually create some political change, or at least people take notice of the issue. If he refuses to play in Qatar, no one in Qatar is going to give a shit about why.

ShawPPM1214 Washington
04/11/16 10:49 am

Wouldn't it still make a statement though? It just doesn't look right to me..taking money from a country who kills gays..vs not taking money because someone doesn't wanna make a cake? Seems fishy to me.

GlockMan1 Alabama
04/11/16 9:32 am

BIG TIME HYPOCRITICAL

ShawPPM1214 Washington
04/11/16 9:28 am

I'm not here to debate the legislation passed in Mississippi. Whether the legislation is right or wrong..it seems hypocritical to protest a US state...but still have a concert in a country where gays are executed.