Show Of Hands April 11th, 2016 3:11pm

You wake up tomorrow in the year 1816. Will you attempt to dramatically reshape history using your knowledge of future events, science, etc.?

dlee1776 Virginia
04/22/16 6:26 am

I'd have to wait 50 years, but I'd be sure that pickets charge at Gettysburg worked, causing the South to win Gettysburg. Which in turn would cause a huge swing for the South, British help offered to the South, Southern victory, and a much better world to live in today.

BatmansParents Monarch Theater
04/20/16 3:32 pm

Tell the south to protect its generals and teach them modern ways to fight so they will win

ryrypsho75
04/16/16 12:50 pm

You can't cheat history. The citizens of our great nation need to learn from mistakes we have made in the past to make us the powerhouse of the modern day

Wert A picture of my junk
04/15/16 3:19 pm

Stop the development of the rail system.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
04/13/16 8:06 pm

Damnit, George Washington would already be dead. I would make a beeline to Washington to warn Madison how corrupt Republicans and Democrats can get in the 21st century. How good ole George was right

mememaster earth
04/13/16 4:49 pm

Possibly change a few small things, but I would definitely try to meet and learn from Marx directly.

tdaddy Kentucky
04/13/16 1:25 am

Yes! And I'll be able to fund my ideas with good investments based on info almost as good or better than insider tips.

bowtiedbuffalo The TARDIS
04/12/16 7:30 pm

No way, never!
*cough* Weeping Angels *cough cough*

SonofThunder peace
04/12/16 7:29 pm

They'd burn me as a witch. So no

tdaddy Kentucky
04/13/16 1:29 am

Ahhhh, I read a lifehack recently that said Doritos make great kindling, but better yet you could redeem yourself simply by creating the first Doritos!

BadLogic101 I commit fallacies.
04/12/16 7:18 pm

Id try to prevent WWI.

jonboyjenkins
04/16/16 2:11 pm

Are you fu**ing stupid. WW1 was in the 1900s

smoothboy1982 Lexington Ky
04/12/16 5:15 pm

If I woke up in 1816. I would shot myself with an arrow or whatever primitive weapon they had and hopefully wake up to the year 3000.

FrySir jersey village, Texas
04/12/16 3:07 pm

I wouldn't be able to. I'm black. Lol 😂

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
04/12/16 8:59 am

I would enjoy the experience learning how to live in that time period, I wouldn't try to change the world.

Pres55555 Gone.
04/12/16 6:23 am

Show them how the combustion engine works. Drill for oil in Texas and the Midwest. Become rich. Explain and prove that microbes and pathogens exist, and help develop vaccines and better medicine. Create single cartridge bullets. Create a blowback rifle, and after that create a belt- fed machine gun. Mass produce and sell to the military. Demonstrate how heavier-than-air flight is possible. Then create the Jet engine. Watch the US Civil war play out with fighter jets, bombers, tanks, AAA, machine guns and assault rifles, and tanks. Afterwards, prove the existence of atoms. Use this to create the first fission reaction. Make the first atomic weapon. Sell blueprints to the US military. 1870's; US is the most powerful country in the world. Build the first computer. Simple programming (I'm not too good at it), but still functional. Use these to save all of my ideas and blueprints for everything I know. Hide it and only tell my eldest grandson where it is, where he will use it at s later.

Pres55555 Gone.
04/12/16 6:23 am

And that's how I'll change the world

AllyKinz
04/12/16 5:29 am

Also that Donald Trump never ran for president.

AllyKinz
04/12/16 5:27 am

I would invent a back to there future hooverboard.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
04/11/16 11:50 pm

No. "The consequences could be disastrous."

susanr Colorado
04/11/16 9:24 pm

No, I wouldn't. Law of Unintended Consequences. Although, of course, even small changes I didn't even plan might have a long-term effect too.

hemikid1993
04/11/16 9:04 pm

FIND OBAMA'S BIOLOGICAL ANCESTOR. KILL HIM.
FIND HILLARY'S BIOLOGICAL ANCESTOR. KILL.
FIND BIN LADEN'S ANCESTOR. TELL STORIES. KILL HIM.
Break for lunch.
CASTRATE TED CRUZ'S ANCESTOR.

FriedRice
04/11/16 6:49 pm

Assassinate Lincon before he starts the civil war

borny33
04/11/16 7:19 pm

Well the US (or confederate states) wouldn't exist then...good call!

GeneralDevin MN
04/11/16 9:57 pm

The south started the war by trying to swede. Learn your history.

JohnnyGuitar
04/12/16 7:19 pm

It was going towards civil war regardless. He just had the courage to address the issue. What is wrong with people?

BatmansParents Monarch Theater
04/20/16 3:35 pm

The north started the war, the south peacefully seceded and didn't fire a shot, the north fired first. Lincoln also was not a good pres. Don't get me wrong, he freed the slaves which is good, but he suspended a lot of unalienable rights.

dlee1776 Virginia
04/22/16 6:31 am

About time somebody understands that Lincoln was a tyrant

dudley northern Virginia woods
04/11/16 6:39 pm

I will attempt to live. That will be hard enough.

logicalphallus Minnesota
04/11/16 6:37 pm

I'd be fucked without the internet

Teakeh A Happy Nihilist
04/11/16 6:05 pm

I wouldn't have the faintest idea what I could or would do to change anything.

DMBfan40
04/11/16 5:20 pm

I see to it that Margaret Sanger never established Planned Parenthood, the most racist organization in the history of the United States.

Jsd789 Centrist
04/11/16 5:25 pm

Priorities 😂

smulawyer
04/11/16 5:47 pm

I've heard many charges leveled at PP, but never that. Please don't take this as a challenge; I'm genuinely asking: how are they racist?

BatmansParents Monarch Theater
04/20/16 3:36 pm

Margret Sanger said that black peoples were like weeds and needed to be exterminated and founded planned parenthood in order to accomplish that goal

LegionOfTruth Deport Islam 2017
04/11/16 5:12 pm

Create policies to return slaves to Africa. This prevents civil war and all future racial conflicts and criminality. The 1965 immigration act to allow Non-Europeans access to America would have had no support.

truspec Texas
04/11/16 4:38 pm

Of course I'd wake up in a boring part of history. I guess if I were in America I would try to stop the Kansas-Nebraska Act, but I don't know how I could successfully stop the Civil War and keep America unified. I guess seeing the rise of Andrew Jackson and the Democratic party would be interesting

truspec Texas
04/11/16 4:50 pm

I also guess I would advocate for better treatment of Native Americans and be an abolitionist, hopefully using my knowledge of the future to influence people (without getting killed). Maybe I'd try to influence some fields of science though I wouldn't be able to create anything

PresWK Minnesota
04/11/16 4:28 pm

I'd make sure the German advantage after the Franco-Prussian War is permanent

hoosierwisdom inner voice
04/11/16 4:26 pm

That is the year Indiana became a state. I would buy all the acreage around what is now Indianapolis, which was then a trading post

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
04/11/16 4:23 pm

I'm an Asian teen, not sure how well they may be willing to listen to me but I'll give it a try.

bethanyq Ess Eff
04/11/16 4:10 pm

Dramatically? No. Not only am I vanishingly unlikely to succeed (or, given my gender, even taken seriously), but who knows what kind of unforeseen consequences there could be?

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
04/11/16 4:06 pm

I would be so happy to have lived back then, I would destroy the technology I brought and just live a happy simple life as a logger near Canada.

Cagedbird
04/11/16 4:05 pm

Only if I can go as far back as the late 14th to early 15th century. Instead of welcoming the intruders with meat, honey, milk, and wild grains I'd make sure we welcome them with Spears, Clubs, and blowguns.

Cagedbird
04/20/16 3:52 pm

Whatever it would have taken. I'm pretty sure you'd have a different opinion if you were of the other side.

BatmansParents Monarch Theater
04/20/16 4:01 pm

While it would have been longer, and harder for the Europeans, they would most likely still win. Evidence- Zulu uprisings, they got crushed every time

Cagedbird
04/20/16 4:45 pm

See, you're missing my point. Firstly, I'm not claiming who would or wouldn't have won. Secondly, the Zulu war took place in 1878-1879 centuries after the intruders settled.

Dominicano New York
04/11/16 3:04 pm

I'm a colored person... I can't go back earlier than the 1960's 😩

kywrite augusta, ga
04/11/16 3:21 pm

Maybe in France? It didn't specify WHERE you arrived, only when. You could start the information revolution in Egypt, or become a renowned doctor in Brazil.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 4:00 pm

Brazil is 10x safer back then than it is today

Congressman Louisiana
04/11/16 5:10 pm

You could be a free man of color and own and trade slaves.

DonWichita Kansas
04/11/16 2:54 pm

If I were in 1816 I likely wouldn't survive. Not tough enough!

dontmakemeover
04/11/16 3:03 pm

I have some applicable skills, but the fact of the matter is that your demographics will help or inhibit you. I'm white and can fake accents well, but I'm still a woman at that brings its own challenges. People all "I'm gonna get all the money", I'd like to know how. First, you have no family and no connections. Second, basically every modern American accent will mark you as "foreign". And people talking about forging tools, do you excel in metalwork? I can knit clothing, but I don't know how to spin fiber into yarn. Etc... Etc...

kywrite augusta, ga
04/11/16 3:26 pm

Your demographics would make a difference, but the amount and quality of your knowledge could make you rich. For instance, you know gold was found near San Francisco - you may be minimally conversant with E=mc squared - and you know a certain young boy in Illinois will become a great president. All these sorts of things can be leveraged with hard work and creative thinking.

NK257 Rural Iowa
04/11/16 3:52 pm

You took this question way too seriously

kywrite augusta, ga
04/11/16 4:15 pm

I'm a writer. It's what I do.

dontmakemeover
04/11/16 7:08 pm

I can know all the math and science I want. I'm still a woman and most people won't listen to me or will be actively mad I'm stepping out of bounds.

moonshot More often I know nothing
04/11/16 2:29 pm

I would stay right where I am now, in Western Washington. In those days it was a paradise. Food was plentiful, the natives were generally friendly, and the weather is tolerable. I'd build a cabin and make friends with a local tribe and live out my days.

camlop San Diego, CA
04/11/16 2:22 pm

Anything to get rich and famous. But I will be pissed I am in the past.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/11/16 2:16 pm

No. I'll be busy trying to keep my head down, avoid anyone who looks even remotely sick, and trying to avoid the sun and stay looking as white as possible. If I did try to change anything it would be to give the indigenous population a heads up about who never to trust, treaty or no treaty.

613dimples New York
04/11/16 2:05 pm

Two scary thoughts:
1- I need acceptable currency
2- I NEED INDOOR PLUMBING!!!!!!

TrustyShellback Latveria
04/11/16 1:47 pm

i think my initial reaction would be sheer panic followed by the spontaneous utterance, "WTF!"

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/11/16 1:45 pm

I would use my knowledge of medicine period it would be too late to get a ride home with Sir Francis Drake he was here in 1580. Maybe I would make it up the coast to head back to East with the Lewis and Clarke. Or down the coast to head out in San Francisco under Spain. Far too lazy to look up dates

centexken Republic of Texas
04/11/16 1:36 pm

I would be in trouble! How do I explain being there in the first place? What would I do for a living? I don't have skills to survive in the world of 1816. I couldn't even cut firewood without my chainsaw. How would I get food? No money or a firearm to even shoot my food. Even if I could get a long gun I wouldn't know how to use a 1816 version. I would be in deep chit....

owl9
04/11/16 1:48 pm

I feel like there were definitely stores of some kind then lol

centexken Republic of Texas
04/11/16 11:35 pm

There were stores but if you wake up in 1816 with no money....

USAIsThePeoples Maple Grove Minnesota
04/11/16 1:33 pm

Stop everything bad that's happened to our country, make the civil right movement earlier, and murder hitler.

TiredofIt Texas
04/11/16 4:45 pm

"Stop everything bad" lmao

ARadioactiveBev
04/11/16 1:30 pm

If you were you can't be too radical about it. Small steps would be key, introducing small concepts as time goes on. Preferably having a week to a month of knowing in advance would allow you to study the subjects of which you plan on introducing in enough depth to get the very basics down. Such as being able to introducing medications and more complex electronics. Oh god, this is something that has so much potential to benefit the world, but also to do immense amounts of harm. I absolutely lobe this question, this is one of the better ones that have been posted as od late.

TheAdvocate
04/11/16 1:30 pm

Since any impact I would make would change my existent a and have other negative impacts I would just make a "cash" cash for my future self to make a impact then.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/11/16 1:22 pm

I will attempt to stop all of the progressive steps that have taken our nation backwards. The 14th Amendment will not grant citizenship to everyone born in this country, the 16th, 17th, and 18th Amendments will never pass, and I would steal Hitler's wallet to severely ruin his day (idea from @MJSeals). World War 2 was a very important part of history, so I would not want to change that despite the tragedy of the Holocaust. I would help try and save as many Jews as possible, but the events of WW2 need to take place. I will also lead the charge to Constitutionally ban judicial review with Jefferson as the face of my campaign.

centexken Republic of Texas
04/11/16 1:25 pm

It said 1816, not 1916.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/11/16 1:40 pm

Income tax and popular election of Senators.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/11/16 1:47 pm

It strips a huge amount of power from the States. Senators are no longer accountable to the best interests of the States. For example, in 2009, both Virginia Senators voted for Obamacare when the VA State Legislature wanted them to vote against it. An incumbent who is voted in by the entire voting populous of the State is damn near impossible because of the edge they have. The Legislatures, on the other hand, have a much easier time replacing a Senator, and will be held accountable by the people of their districts should they vote to keep a Senator that the small district doesn't want. It was designed that way on purpose. Our Framers wanted the States to have a say in Congress via the Senate and let the People have a say via the House. It's separation of powers and gives the States a huge check on the Senate. That check no longer exists.

kywrite augusta, ga
04/11/16 3:31 pm

Not to mention it damages the original Republic concept of our forefathers, shifting massive power to the more radical direct democracy. Like our two parties today, one was designed to act as a brake on the other. Now there's hardly any difference, and since states can't really recall Senators like they could before the 17th, it's far too easy for a politician to shift his allegiances to the corrupt Washington insider system.

truspec Texas
04/11/16 4:42 pm

You wouldn't live long enough to see the 16-17th amendments. The populists who made the first big push for the income tax didn't rise until the 1890's

smulawyer
04/11/16 5:54 pm

Which WWII "events" NEED to happen badly enough to be worth the Holocaust?

kywrite augusta, ga
04/11/16 9:42 pm

Halting the rise of Russia. If Hitler had not moved on Europe the way he did, Stalin would have eaten Europe bite by bite, then started on the rest of the world, and it's unlikely anyone would have tried or been able to stop him.

SwedishBeast Honor the roots
04/11/16 1:19 pm

Not a place in time I would like to go.

mikeyDe Marine Corps
04/11/16 1:07 pm

Nobody in this scenario is reaching Hitler. You are already your current age when you reach 1816 and with your new found quality of life and medical care you would never get to him. Your best bet would be to kill his grandfather. But if you stop him he's the guy we know losses and causes the war the propels the US to the top. Kill him and a whole other WW2 would happen that the "good guys" might not win. Just pointing out the obvious.

Volt Florida
04/11/16 1:01 pm

I would only change it by assuming power myself. I would make hefty wagers and amass large sums of money to begin my life.

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/11/16 12:56 pm

I doubt the bourgeois uppity ruling class of Victorian Britain would pay any attention to a non Eton/ Oxbridge educated person brought up in Wales, but in the unlikely event that they did i would advocate ending colonialism earlier and providing the colonies with the knowledge and resources they needed to make it as independent nations, rather than just leaving them to their own devices

shygal47 Florida east coast
04/11/16 2:44 pm

I don't think my forebears had it easy, but I doubt they would ever revolted if everything had been given to them. I'm kind as biased in my opinion but I like the USA just like it is. If freedom is important then you have to fight for it.

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/11/16 4:38 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, America was independent already in 1816. My comment was aimed more at former colonies like Kenya, Sudan, Pakistan, Somalia, Bangladesh and Burma that have suffered terribly since independence (as well as before) not really successful ones like Canada, USA, Ireland or Australia