MJSeals April 11th, 2016 2:04pm

Because I have joined a political party, my views are often interpreted by others, sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly. Due to this, if you would like to post an issue in the comments, I will clarify my own opinion. Joining?

jvc1133 61535
04/11/16 2:30 pm

Not interested in your opinion

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/11/16 11:54 am

What are your thoughts on the following:

Labeling GMOs
Free Trade
NASA
Global Warming
Death Penalty
Cyber Security
Encryption

04/11/16 4:29 pm

GMOs - not particularly concerned about. We've been consuming altered foods and medicine for years.

Free trade - see below

NASA - I agree with the increase in funding, but the private industry is catching up. Right now NASA has a distinct advantage so I say go for it.

Death Penalty - I believe it would be legalized but only used in extreme cases where rehabilitation isn't possible especially when sentences are 3/4/5 life sentences.

Cyber - leaning towards Favorable on Net Neutrality, I want to study this issue further (and hope to focus on this in law school) but currently believe Apple had a rightful claim to not develop a software to open all iPhones, but if warranted, and with the ability to open that one phone, they should have.

I'll get back to others. Sorry. Forgot I had a lecture today!

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/11/16 4:37 pm

Oh. A big point I forgot to ask on was having a living wage as a minimum wage.

04/11/16 8:24 pm

Global warming - I've had a hard time separating what is actual scientific fact/statistics vs. what is opinion now. I agree the climate is changing, it always has been to a degree. What I haven't seen is what measures can humanity, or more specifically the US take to do about it. I believe I saw that even if acting to the full ability we cannot reverse the changes and this is a global issue, not just the US. I think we need to find more efficient eagerly sources, I believe in nuclear, but it takes time to develop and switch, so I also support the creation of the Keystone, take the jobs and $$$ then slowly move away, especially because the keystone oil will be burned regardless if the new pipeline is built. If the scientific community can say a measure will have a positive effect on stopping the effects, go for it. If it only sounds good, and in reality has no other effect than hurting US industries, no. They could go to China and pollute even more.

04/11/16 8:40 pm

Minimum wage does have a link to unemployment. CBO projected a federal $10.10 would kill 500,000 Jobs. I think we can attach it to inflation we'd be good, but not set it straight to $15. The problem with even having the "big businesses" pay is workers will work at a McDonalds for $15, not McGregor's Irish Shoppe for $10.10 (I swear this is a real place). Small businesses will need to raise their prices and wages as well as some larger companies that produce small net revenues or are looking to expand and need more Cash. Due to inflation I do not believe minimum wage will ever be "live able" more money out there will mean companies can expect more for the same products and it's a constant cycle. It's complicated.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/12/16 5:38 am

Sensible views. One item that seems fairly partisan right now that I can't quite understand on why it's partisan is that the Republicans I've talked to seem to understand that GMOs are fine while the Democrats I've talked to vary from thinking they're evil to thinking they might be evil and should be labeled, regardless of the overwhelming scientific evidence saying that commercially available GMOs are safe.

04/12/16 11:03 am

I think in general Republicans are more accepting of Industry and believe they will be good if not free market etc. you know the speech. Likewise, Democrats are not as trusting and government intervention etc. same as above. Human nature can be predictable at times, this is one of them. Without looking into the issue, most are just going to apply that which they always know (or think they know), to a new situation.

pkurt88 Las Vegas, NV
04/11/16 10:24 am

Is free trade mostly a good thing or a bad thing?

04/11/16 11:15 am

As in most aspects of economics, it depends. In a well established market were a developed nation has a product advantage it is beneficial, but like the auto industry in the 1980s, or cheap manufacturing now, it isn't beneficial for the US. Japanese made cars would almost putting is car industry out of business and many jobs have gone overseas to China for cheaper labor and a free trade pact only helps to make it even cheaper for businesses to move, and stay abroad. I'm in support of Free Trade, but not the elimination of implementing tariffs in certain cases were a US industry may need protection.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/11/16 8:39 am

Why do you root for the lesser of the two NYC hockey teams?

04/11/16 8:51 am

Because they aren't an NYC team.

04/11/16 8:59 am

It's on Long Island. Which is the population my team represents.

m.imgur.com/7nW2b50

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/11/16 10:17 am

Be that as it may, I doubt Brooklyn represents the rest of Long Island. Why'd they move?

04/11/16 11:08 am

Because the residence of Nassau County didn't want a tax payer funded arena and the county rejected a proposal to build a new private coliseum on land across the street of the currently (Nassau Vet. Memorial) Coliseum

pauldabb85 Orlando
04/11/16 7:14 am

How would you like to see the next president deal with undocumented immigrants? Would you support mass deportations or amnesty with a path to legalization?

04/11/16 7:24 am

I believe that the issue that is not brought up during the illegal immigration debate is legal immigration. People spend thousands of dollars and wait years to get into this country, and they prove they are willing to follow our laws, but our country ignores them on a national stage to talk about those who do not follow our laws. I believe we need to secure the southern boarder so drug cartels can't smuggle, but a wall doesn't solve that. Patrolling the boarder does a much better (and cheaper) job of that. For those already in the country, however, they broke the law. I believe that they would still need to apply for citizenship and go through the process. I also believe in a work/fine program where those who entered our nation illegally perform a public service if they would like to stay, especially of their is (for lack of better word) an anchor baby in the mix. Otherwise, we do have laws that need to be followed. We need to also simplify the legal immigration process.

political Georgia
04/11/16 7:46 am

Undocumented *democrats*

04/11/16 7:54 am

Yeah and calling them "undocumented immigrants" to me is like calling drug dealers "undocumented pharmacist"

pauldabb85 Orlando
04/11/16 7:57 am

It's the more direct term, you're referring to these human beings as illegals, but how can a human being be illegal? You don't call murders "illegal killers" so why would you do the same with immigration laws?

pauldabb85 Orlando
04/11/16 7:59 am

And yes, over 80% of minorities vote democrat because the liberal and progressive establishment actually gives a damn about their wellbeing. Republicans say stuff like this and wonder why they lose the minority vote in every election.

political Georgia
04/11/16 8:07 am

Lol...if you think promoting dependency is helping, you are delusional.

pauldabb85 Orlando
04/11/16 8:08 am

Not dependency, decency. Treating them like actual human beings.

political Georgia
04/11/16 8:17 am

That's not what democrats promote

04/11/16 8:51 am

A person can't be "white" or "black" but we still group them as such because their skin color more closely aligns that way. Human or not they are immigrants who are here illegally, or Illegal Immigrants. Which is all I said, I never named them as "illegals"

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/11/16 9:00 am

If someone breaks the law by entering into another country without the right to do so, that is illegal. It is straightforward - they are immigrating to the country illegally.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 12:12 pm

"how can a human being be illegal"

By being in a country without following the immigration laws. Pretty simple huh?

pauldabb85 Orlando
04/11/16 12:48 pm

Their actions are illegal, but the actual human being is still a human being. You don't call jaywalkers "illegal pedestrians" do you?

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 1:08 pm

Semantics. You could call them illegal pedestrians.

political Georgia
04/11/16 7:10 am

Why does the GOP talk conservatively, but they vote similar to liberals?

04/11/16 7:14 am

In some areas liberals run as republicans to try to win elections. This happens in some areas of NY where people are "Republican" historically but ideologically more liberal. Other times it's because we elect people who "promise to be conservative" even though they are only saying that to get elected. See: Chris Collins NY - 27

pauldabb85 Orlando
04/11/16 7:07 am

First of all, exactly what political party do you align with the most?

04/11/16 7:11 am

I am a registered member of the Republican Party of New York.