PamGH April 11th, 2016 12:52am

Would enjoy hearing about a position you stood strong for say 5 years ago and now have a totally new view of the issue. What changed your mind?

Torfin Never Behind
04/17/16 2:06 am

Nothing to tell..they are the same

user321 Indiana
04/12/16 5:15 pm

It's been more than 5 years, but I used to be pro death penalty. Then so many people were exonerated when DNA testing came around that I changed my stance.

Rosebud Ohio
04/12/16 5:24 am

I walked the conservative stereotype line.

Now I'm for equal rights rather than against. Marijuana legalization, and there's considerable merit to decriminalizing all drug use. I'm not Christian anymore. Pro war to anti. Anti immigration, refugees ect to pro. Deportation to amnesty. Anti abortion to pro choice. For death penalty to against.

I'm sure there's more too.

photon
04/12/16 5:44 pm

Wow ... What motivated the change?

Rosebud Ohio
04/12/16 5:49 pm

I moved out of my parents house and started forming my own unique opinions as well as supporting myself. I was finally free to consider my own ideas outside of what my parents believed.

TheZodiacKiller definitely not Ted Cruz
04/11/16 4:14 pm

Feminism. Well meant, but nowadays I see it more as supremacy than equality.

CAKE is good for the soul.
04/11/16 3:26 pm

I never thought I'd call myself an atheist. Growing up, I think my family would rather me have become a rapist than an atheist.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/11/16 1:59 pm

I was sort of a fan of GW Bush, even went to two of his rallies. Now I consider him, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al, as war criminals. I'm no longer a Republican...just a man without a party.

burdman Nowhere
04/11/16 1:46 pm

Changed my stance on marijuana. After trying it and reading why it was originally outlawed I decided it should be 100% legal

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/11/16 1:24 pm

Welsh Devolution, used to hate it, now I'm not bothered at all by it

jayblake22
04/11/16 1:18 pm

Used to not care about gay marriage not against it because I'm tired of having it shoved down my throat.

jayblake22
04/11/16 1:18 pm

****now against****

burdman Nowhere
04/11/16 1:45 pm

That's what he said

MrsCrayonWax
04/11/16 1:01 pm

I was staunchly against gay marriage until I realized that there is a legality for it. My husband actually was responsible for my change of mind. So now, I'm legally for it and as a Catholic still believe that within the church, traditional marriage stands.

leilu SoCal
04/11/16 1:08 pm

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 12:26 pm

I used to think the Star Wars prequels were the only bad Star Wars movies. But then I saw the force awakens and realized that sucked too

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
04/11/16 12:57 pm

But still, I have significant doubt that any movie character will be as stupid, bad, and utterly annoying as jar jar Binks

MrsCrayonWax
04/11/16 2:44 pm

Truth. Adam Driver? Blech

ronderman North Carolina
04/11/16 12:03 pm

I've changed my stance on gay marriage. I realized that my stance was based on my faith and not the law. The law allowed it and now there is nothing to stop it. Marry away!

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 12:23 pm

Why wasn't it based on the law 5 years ago? Wasn't it illegal 5 years ago?

ronderman North Carolina
04/11/16 12:29 pm

It was illegal 5 years ago so I felt comfortable saying that I didn't want the law changed. I was ok with unions, I just wanted marriage to be husband and wife.

The law has been changed and there is nothing I can stand on legally.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 12:32 pm

So don't you still feel that way based on faith? I mean I assume if the law made God illegal you'd still believe in God right?

I'm pro gay marriage btw, just trying to clarify your stance

ronderman North Carolina
04/11/16 2:43 pm

I compare it to someone who has heated on his wife getting remarried. Is it legal? Yes. Is it sinful? Yes. Will I still show the person love and support? Yes.

The difference in my stance isn't whether I would not support a gay couple, I would have always done that. The difference is in how I discuss the subject and that I don't expect to hear it brought up. It's a settled issue. If anyone brings it up, my response is that the argument is a moot point. The issue is settled.

myob
04/11/16 11:51 am

Lethally protecting my family. I never thought it would be necessary in my life time.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/11/16 11:45 am

I used to trust the media and the US government. I used to believe that the US was the good guys but then they obviously lied and covered up the truth about the attacks on 9/11 among other things.

Wino I need a drink
04/11/16 11:10 am

I used to be absolutely against gun ownership. Now I'm open to common sense gun ownership. I became friends with a lot of hunters in MN (most of whom are currently anti-NRA). It opened my eyes to the responsible gun owners.

phen nebraska
04/11/16 8:50 am

Used to be supportive of the current child welfare system in Nebraska. Although they weren't prefect, they were attempting to get better.
Now, after being a family advocate, i see how dirty and untrustworthy the system actually is

PamGH Washington
04/11/16 9:51 am

In Washington too

phen nebraska
04/11/16 1:13 pm

Families, and kids, get the raw end of the deal no matter what they want

chinito Florida
04/11/16 7:00 am

I really didn't care about gay marriage. Nobody close to me is openly gay so I figured that why should I care if it doesn't affect me.
I realized that it is horrible discrimination and I am extremely pro same rights now.

I didn't care about marijuana and abortion. Again, that didn't affect me. Now I am extremely against legislation of pot and with few exceptions pro-life.

chinito Florida
04/11/16 7:02 am

Ok, I should be pro double checking my comments before posting.
I'm pro equal rights for gays.
Against legalization (not legislation) of pot.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/11/16 5:40 am

I was raised with Republican beliefs. Then I learned more and adopted libertarian socialism.

leilu SoCal
04/10/16 10:31 pm

Gay marriage. I didn't feel right being against it (as a Christian), so I thought and thought and thought about it and I'm not so against it anymore. I'm not a rainbow wearing advocate, but I want the government/laws to recognize the rights of gay married couples.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
04/10/16 9:09 pm

I used to be very moderate in regards to gun control. I was (and still am) a rifle coach for kids teams.

I was all for allowing people to own just about any type and amount of any firearm, I just wanted universal background checks. I wouldn't have looked twice at open carry advocates, and likely would have supporters them.

fredd TrumpLand
04/10/16 9:30 pm

That's interesting. What's your view now and why did you change?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
04/10/16 8:18 pm

Grew up with guns. Had no issues whatsoever with people with guns.

Sandy Hook changed that. Even more so to hear the smokescreen the NRA has put up around it INSTEAD of working on education (I won't even touch the conspiracy theories which are vile).

And the growing crazy gun culture now...nothing like the sensible gun culture I grew up with.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/11/16 12:36 pm

Sandy hook changed your opinion on guns? Surely you knew that a crazy could kill people with guns before sandy hook right? I mean what if the sandy hook killer stabbed the same number of kids to death instead? Would that have changed your stance on knives?

pkurt88 Las Vegas, NV
04/10/16 7:48 pm

I used to be a Republican, so I believed all the standard Republican talking points on gay marriage, marijuana legalization, and illegal immigration. Now, I'm Independent, but I hold very liberal views on those three issues. I don't think the Republican views on those issues are very realistic anymore.

PamGH Washington
04/10/16 8:12 pm

A similar story for me, but I went Libertarian. I don't agree with their entire platform, but they are the closest to my beliefs.

pkurt88 Las Vegas, NV
04/10/16 8:31 pm

I can't decide whether I'm Liberal or Libertarian. That's why I'm Independent :) When, I did the isidewith quiz, the Democrats and Libertarians were at the top, and the Republicans were at the bottom.

Senate101 San Diego
04/10/16 7:42 pm

Supported Affirmative Action. Now oppose it.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/10/16 7:21 pm

Gay rights. And author I was reading pointed out that Jesus Himself never said anything against that population. Instead of believing what I was told through from the pulpit I did my own thinking

yeagermeister Toledo, OH
04/11/16 12:15 pm

Jesus actually did speak about homosexuality. The words sexual immorality that he uses means sex outside of marriage and homosexuality in its original language.

CDUBS Dallas, Tx
04/11/16 11:44 pm

It's just a book, nobody said any such thing.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/10/16 7:02 pm

Realizing now how much I've learned in the past few years.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/10/16 7:00 pm

Five years ago, I was just getting into marriage equality when I previously didn't care. I now care a great deal.

I thought liberals were idiots. I'm fairly liberal now.

I thought climate change was greatly exaggerated. I'm greatly concerned these days.

I was pretty sex negative, I guess. I was comparing my own experience to others' and felt mine was better. My own preferences haven't changed but I'm very sex positive now. I'm all for consensual sex as long as I'm not the one having it!

I was no-ifs-ands-or-buts about abortion. Now I'm somewhere in the middle ground and believe in exceptions.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/10/16 6:54 pm

Extremely pro-life to more like loosely pro-choice.

Democrats are evil and Republicans are awesome to Democrats are okay and Republicans are weird.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/10/16 7:23 pm

you've also matured a great deal. You were more a little boy than a man. Now you're more man than boy

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/11/16 4:18 am

Thanks @TopsQueen! Although those original positions can still be held by other adults too. It's a matter of what they value and how they think.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/11/16 6:36 am

Your General altitudes is more what I was talking about. You are more tolerant of others. I've gone back-and-forth on abortion I think it's a terrible terrible thing I think a woman should be fully informed how developed the fetus is

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/11/16 6:49 am

Ah yes, attitudes. The more you know you don't know, the less stubborn you become. Or at least, that's how it was for me. It also helped that I have made more distinctions between matters of fact and matters of opinion while understanding that not every disagreement has to be a win or die argument.

I agree that it is not preferable to kill a fetus, but I still don't know where in the first trimester to make the distinction between wannabe human and definite human with associated change in human rights status.

PamGH Washington
04/12/16 8:15 am

There is some fairly famous study, that I can't think of the name, shows that more intelligent people can understand that they don't know what they don't know. This is great, but it also showed how higher intelligence is associated with anxiety.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/12/16 9:29 am

I'd be curious to see that study if you find it again.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/12/16 10:00 am

Ah yes. I recall reading about that somewhere now myself.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/12/16 10:01 am

Google Scholar recognizes 659 times it's been cited in other papers. Wow.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/12/16 10:02 am

That was actually a follow up. The original has been cited 2742 times.

caboose2050 Blood Gulch
04/10/16 6:30 pm

I changed my position on gun control, I no longer support banning assault rifles.

bringstheeagle Colorado
04/10/16 6:22 pm

I was against legalizing Marijuana. Now I don't see it as an issue.

bringstheeagle Colorado
04/10/16 9:22 pm

You're just a cool person that's all. Lol.

goldz oh this world
04/10/16 6:04 pm

Syrian refugee crisis, single-payer healthcare.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/10/16 7:01 pm

Oh! I went a total 180 on healthcare.

goldz oh this world
04/10/16 7:01 pm

From where to where?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/10/16 7:06 pm

I was very much against single-payer. I thought it was ridiculous, not achievable in the US at this time, and wrong. Now I'd like to see us develop a single-payer system. What about you?

rons screw politicians
04/10/16 5:59 pm

Gay marriage. Got tired of hearing about it.

PamGH Washington
04/10/16 5:57 pm

Death penalty. I was a big believer. I now know that we kill to many innocents, out justice system is too corrupt, and it is too hard to get a new trial. Very much anti-death penalty and besides it is more expensive.

bringstheeagle Colorado