rlands April 10th, 2016 8:02pm

"We should stop calling feminists 'feminists' and just start calling people who aren't feminist 'sexist'. You are either a normal person or a sexist."

cw10 okla
04/16/16 11:56 am

We should just call feminist sexist

geoag02 Dallas, TX
04/10/16 10:34 pm

Depends on your definition of the word feminist. I have seen that word used to mean everything from "allowing women to seek the same types of jobs as men and receive equal pay for equal work" to "most men should be killed and the few that are allowed to live should be kept in cages and milked for sperm".

I am strongly against the second one for obvious reasons. I like my job... And my life.

rlands
04/11/16 6:10 pm

Lol
Since you're answering the question, what do you think according to your definition! ? :)

geoag02 Dallas, TX
04/11/16 6:15 pm

I have a tendency to assume the second definition whenever I hear the word feminist.

rlands
04/11/16 6:22 pm

So based on that you'd agree to the quote in question or not?

Also, if you support the first type of feminism you described, you should definitely start thinking about it in those terms! :)

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 4:42 pm

No. That dilutes the actual meaning of the word "sexist," and is an obvious attempt to make the claim that modern feminism is normal when, in reality, the need for feminist activism in our country has largely come and gone.
It's like calling everyone who opposes "gay marriage" a homophobe, or everyone who wants to strengthen our borders a racist.

Teakeh A Happy Nihilist
04/10/16 3:07 pm

I always enjoy identity politics and false dichotomies.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 1:23 pm

No, it should be "egalitarian." It's much better

rlands
04/10/16 2:25 pm

Indeed, that is descriptive and true. Do you think we've reached the point where we can call feminists that, without specifically acknowledging the oppression that women specifically have faced fir so long? Id draw a comparison with black lives matter vs all lives matter - at this point it's necessary to put emphasis on black lives because of the oppression they have and still do face.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 3:50 pm

I say all do. Black people are people too.

sydwel
04/10/16 1:10 pm

No, I'm strongly feminist, but there are those who avoid the term who aren't necessarily sexist.

rlands
04/10/16 2:10 pm

Sure but I think that's kind of the point. To embrace those kind of people who don't wanna be called feminist for whatever reason. So that we just have normal, egalitarian people who don't believe gendered oppression is right, and then those who do and are therefore "not normal" and "sexist".

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
04/10/16 5:19 pm

For whatever reason? Have you heard the strong (and incredibly disgusting) reactions people have on here simply to the word "feminist?" It's totally logical to want to avoid the term. It has a bad reputation and immediately generates a negative response.

rlands
04/10/16 7:34 pm

For whatever reason meaning there are plenty of reasons someone wouldn't wanna associate with that term.

Also in my life, aside from soh, feminist has never had a bad connotation. It's always been a positive trait - and almost everyone I know would identify as a feminist if asked. People here surprise me in that regard.

political Georgia
04/10/16 1:04 pm

I think it's appropriate to call people a feminazi.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
04/10/16 1:56 pm

South of the Manson-Nixon Line I'm sure that is appropriate.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 2:02 pm

It's always appropriate

iBakes California
04/10/16 2:26 pm

I would guess Jewish people don't appreciate the term being used just so people have an excuse to be a sexist asshat.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 3:50 pm

Oh, come on now. We know that they want to install their sexist and facist matriarchal regime. it makes sense