TheZodiacKiller April 10th, 2016 4:58pm

Throughout the world, (including the Middle East where infidels are often punished) which religion is the most persecuted? (If other, vote Islam and post which in the comments)

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
04/10/16 2:48 pm

Depends on how you measure it. Christians and Muslims are roughly neck and neck for number of countries in which they face social or governmental harassment or restrictions for their religion, with Christians leading by about 2 or 3 countries. By body count or displacement, it's Muslims. Of these two, the first does not account for severity of persecution, and the second doesn't account for population density of given religions.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
04/10/16 3:01 pm

Such data is difficult to quantify, but it should probably involve some sort of severity factor calculated for each manner persecution, and another factor adjusting for population size of persecuted groups and their proportion of the country's general population.
Eg., a country where wearing a hijab or kipah is punishable by fine is a bit different than a country where drinking sacramental wine is punishable by death. But if the first country is 100M people who are 45% Jewish and Muslim, and the second country is 100 people who are all Baha'i... well, it's a bit complicated.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
04/10/16 2:41 pm

Sunni & Shiite hate each other, both Moslem. They both hate Christians....but Christians are a minority. So it depends on how you look at it. Assuming that all these dipshits hate everyone else that don't adhere to the exact same variation of religion that they do.....Christians will have the most enemies and a greater statistical amount of persecution. However....in terms of sheer volume of deaths....Moslem deaths far outnumber Christians.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/10/16 3:26 pm

Hey! I think you should change your name or location to "Squid Pro Quo!"

jlong105 Indiana
04/10/16 12:50 pm

Persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another individual or group.

Some people will need the definition to answer this.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
04/10/16 11:47 am

Looking at the heads on the floor in the Middle East and the innocent people in jail in America it's quiet obvious to me that it is Christians who receive the worst persecution in the world. Shame some people are blind to it.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/10/16 1:53 pm

JEDI - you do realize the number of Muslims that have been killed out number Christians by about 1,000 to every one?

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 11:45 am

Atheists. Everywhere we go people are saying "If there's one thing I can't stand, it is someone who doesn't follow any religion."

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 1:01 pm

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.. I'm genuinely curious as to a couple things.

1. How many people have you heard say this? It's ridiculous.. but I'm not surprised.

2. Do you live in the bible belt?

Chukar retired police officer
04/10/16 1:48 pm

I'm 80 years old and this is the first time I have heard this statement. Must have to do with who a person associates with.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 2:59 pm

1. Most people who are mildly religious say they hate atheists more than anything.

2. No

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 3:47 pm

I don't think most religious people hate atheists more than anything. where'd you come up with that?

If you don't live in the bible belt then that's .. odd

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 4:10 pm

People telling me they hate atheists.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/10/16 4:12 pm

I live in south Texas and I don't hear that. I guess it just depends on the people that are where you live.. But I'm pretty sure most religious people don't hate atheists the most

liam2013 iowa
04/10/16 10:07 am

Religious groups of all stripes and nonreligious groups are persecuted all over the world. It's wrong whomever and wherever it happens. It doesn't matter to me which group suffer the most.

goldz oh this world
04/10/16 10:04 am

In America by far the most hate crimes are committed against Jews. Not sure about the rest of the world.

goldz oh this world
04/10/16 12:19 pm

Because hate crimes come from live and benevolence right?

TheZodiacKiller definitely not Ted Cruz
04/10/16 10:00 am

I know the question is a little biased but I wanted to help people to make a more informed decision.