political April 10th, 2016 2:09pm

Christians: Second Bible Study question - Is hell real?

evoecon nearest binary system
04/11/16 5:49 pm

I believe a place of eternal torment does not exist. The end of the Lord's day will see a final judgement where the Fallen Angels and their followers will be consumed by fire and suffer the death of the soul, the second death. After this, the Earth and Universe will be restored to how it was before the original fall from grace.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/11/16 12:50 am

Absolutely. Both Danté Alighieri, in his Divine Comedy, and John Milton, in Paradise Lost, locate it in the center of the Earth, and this is difficult to just dismiss out-of-hand as unscriptural, because it fits the metaphorical description of Hell as "Gehenna." Wherever it's located, it's indeed real, as is Heaven.

thomas12266
04/10/16 7:24 pm

Yes. Jesus speaks of Gehenna in the Gospels.

screename1 Alaska
04/10/16 12:56 pm

You obviously have never met my mother in law if you don't believe in Hell. 😈 I'm kidding.

ronderman North Carolina
04/10/16 10:45 am

Hell is described in the Bible in two ways. One is a place of eternal darkness/loneliness and separation from God. This is referenced in several comments below. At that point, is it a physical place or is it just no entry into Heaven and communion with God? I don't know.

The other description of Hell was done in referencing Gehenna. Gehenna was a place outside ancient Jerusalem where followers of other gods (like Baal) went to sacrifice their children. It was also a place where much of the city's trash went and is also the place where the bodies of the poor were thrown after death if they could not afford tombs. It was seen as cursed and the fire there never went out. This is the place where Christ was referencing in Mark 9:43-48.

Many times in our modern translations when the word Hell is used, it has been translated from Ghenna.

That said, it appears that Christ believed in such a place. In Matthew 25:41 for instance, he referenced a place of eternal fire prepared

ronderman North Carolina
04/10/16 10:49 am

for the Devil and his angels.

Other people have also referenced such a place in some "near death experiences". In the book A Day In Hell, Matthew Botsford writes about his experience when he was in a coma for 27 days after being shot. He describes if as "Utter darkness" that enveloped him as if a "thick, black ink had been poured over his eyes".

Another account is written about by Professor Howard Storm in My Descent Into Death.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
04/10/16 10:41 am

I believe hell as a place of eternal regret; not a place of fire and brimstone.
One day all will know God, and all will have a bright recollection of guilt. The guilt of making choices contrary to the will of God.

ikeurban21 B L C
04/10/16 10:11 am

It's separation from God for eternity

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 9:05 am

Yes. God won't violate our free will.

cowboy Doors of Perception
04/10/16 8:59 am

Only if you let it be real.

MrsCrayonWax
04/10/16 8:50 am

I think it is.

KingMilo Earth
04/10/16 8:31 am

Very real, glad I won't be there, thanks to Jesus' blood πŸ™πŸ»

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/10/16 8:29 am

I think so. I just don't know what it is really like and I'd rather not think about it.

Bev
04/10/16 7:31 am

I think Hell is real but not like most people believe. I don't think it's actually somewhere "down" and souls "burn" for eternity. I believe Hell means separation from love.

If you believe Heaven is real then you know that God's promise is that you are happy. Well, what if you go to Heaven but your SO, children etc aren't there? Would you be happy? Of course not. So, IMO Heaven and Hell are personal. They are simply the presence and absence of love.

I am not talking about romantic love aka the movies, but love that is all encompassing like a parent's. Hope that makes some form of sense. I am trying hard not to offend anyone. Religion is a touchy subject.

leilu SoCal
04/10/16 7:30 am

Yes, it's a place reserved for the Beast.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/10/16 7:14 am

You could at least give me credit for the question. 😜

political Georgia
04/10/16 7:24 am

I'm sorry. My thinking was that I didn't want to single you out. I realize that your opinion would be in the minority, so I didn't want to make you feel obligated to defend your position. I should have asked you. I didn't think it through. Sorry.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/10/16 7:27 am

I'm totally joking with you! Yes, my opinion will be in the minority. Honestly, I probably won't try to defend it. But, I will come in here often to read what other people say. I'm open to trying to better understand the parts of Christianity that I'm in conflict with.

political Georgia
04/10/16 7:48 am

I'm just relieved that you are joking. ☺️

political Georgia
04/10/16 7:11 am

Yes - it is a place we all deserve to go, but God saved his children from going to such a dreadful place.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/10/16 8:30 am

And I disagree with that whole heartedly. I don't believe deserve it.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:48 am

Why not?

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/10/16 8:52 am

God gives us this life, He wants good for us.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:53 am

Yes, but why don't we deserve Hell?

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:53 am

Are we not sinners that miss the mark?

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/10/16 8:59 am

Yes we all sin, but God gives us forgiveness

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 9:09 am

Why does God have to forgive us if we don't deserve to go to hell in the first place?