Praetorianus April 10th, 2016 6:57am

Hypothetical: The government enacts a new tax law. Aside from a basic income tax which keeps the government running, you can determine where your taxes go on your 1040 (or similar) form by distributing points to various sectors.

lendluke iowa
04/11/16 9:31 am

The General public is too easily swayed by individual events and the media. I doubt most people would be more knowledgeable about monetary needs of the many sections government than congress. Only the parts of government that we hear about would get any funding.

TheCameron UCF
04/10/16 12:50 pm

The constitution clearly gives the power of the purse to the Congress, whom we elect, if you don't like how Congress allocates our tax dollars, vote differently.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/10/16 7:11 pm

The problem is you have to take the whole package. You may like some things one party finances, and some the other does. More power to the people!

TheRealHunter Evangelical Atheist
04/10/16 12:45 pm

While I do think this would be awesome, the problem is that the government needs money where it needs it, not where Americans want to give it.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 11:29 am

You couldn't let rednecks allocate their tax money.

Ronto God Bless America
04/10/16 9:49 am

This would be a good way to determine public opinion. Maybe not literally taking that person's taxes and putting them towards a certain purpose, but Congress could realize that nobody wants to fund a certain program and drop it as a result

evoecon nearest binary system
04/10/16 6:03 am

It is called Charity. You can practice it every day without a government.

liam2013 iowa
04/10/16 8:37 am

Like that's going to work. Charities now fall drastically short in taking care of all the people in need.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:50 am

Wouldn't be that way if taxes were less of a burden

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:50 am

The government fails worse at taking care of people.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/10/16 8:52 am

Nothing like abrogating our moral obligations on an amoral entity, government.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/10/16 5:23 am

Any consent that can be introduced is superior to the lack thereof but as stated below, a slave that gets to choose who whips him is still a slave being whipped.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/10/16 5:22 am

I'll assume social security/Medicare are a guarantee. I'll give nothing to the military and probably most of it to social programs which help the poor.

dandamanx23 ca
04/10/16 10:31 am

I like where your head's at. I'd place most my points in education (seems like everything else stems off of this) and scientific research/space exploration. Seems like there are infinitely better ways to spend money rather than on the newest, most creative, most effective ways to annihilate each other..

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/10/16 5:21 am

If the choices were limited to 20 categories or so I think it could work.

ButchBrewBaker Pennsyltuckey
04/10/16 4:44 am

I have always thought that would be a good idea. Is someone actually proposing it?

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
04/10/16 12:12 am

I worry the average American wouldn't have even the most basic knowledge required to practically and effectively allocate government revenue.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/10/16 12:39 am

It would probably even out though. Some would allocate a lot to education, others to the military or infrastructure etc. I suspect the eventual budget wouldn't look all that different from what we have now - except people would feel better about paying taxes.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
04/10/16 12:58 am

The budget is too complicated, things would be neglected when they shouldn't be.

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
04/10/16 12:10 am

I'd like if people thought they had the choice, but in the end the division of tax money is left to those are trained and know what they are doing. Leaving our government's funding to the mob? I shudder at the thought.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/10/16 12:17 am

I'm for meritocracy or in general technocracy anyway 😏 Let those who know how to govern a country govern it. Hoi polloi won't.

Fjolsvin Midgard
04/10/16 12:03 am

Woo Hoo, I get to choose part of where the money extorted from me may get spent so that agency will grow and demand more extortion money. It is no different than a slave being privileged to choose who whips him today, after all it's democratic so it must be good.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/10/16 12:08 am

I agree taxes ARE extortion. We exchange liberty for safety. On the other hand, anarchy looks worse. I choose the lesser of two evils.

Fjolsvin Midgard
04/10/16 11:27 am

You confuse existing in a voluntary society with lawlessness. It is very common because government tells us that they are the ONLY way to prevent absolute chaos (mad max style). But an observant man can see spontaneous order without government in all of his interactions. For example I do not rob my neighbor or ravish his wife, not because there is some law prohibiting it, but because I respect them and I understand they have a right to use any force to protect life and property. No government involved. This interaction repeats itself innumerable times each day with every person we encounter.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/09/16 11:59 pm

I always wondered why this isn't implemented. Very democratic.