FacePalm April 10th, 2016 6:44am

Do you know the difference between Ice-cream, Gelato, Sorbet, and Sherbet?

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/11/16 7:42 am

I have never had, or made, Italian ice 8) So I don't know. BUT, I was challenged by the question so I looked it up. And I still don't know 😂

It sounds like an icy-er type of sorbetish treat. Still churned though, so not a shave ice. I need to find some for comparison!

fredd TrumpLand
04/10/16 10:15 pm

Where I'm from, sherbet is a powder that you dip a lollipop into and lick off. It fizzes on your tongue.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbet_(powder)

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/10/16 4:40 pm

Icecream is basically a frozen custard: sugar, cream, sometimes eggs, sometimes cooked before freezing, with fruit or other flavoring and a milk fat content of at least 10%. Very creamy, may be icy, and is fluffier due to fast churn speeds. *note that some consider anything over 4% to be "icecream" but that is not always correct - see below.

Gelato is made with whole milk, not cream, so it has a lower fat% (more like 4-8) it is also denser than ice cream because it is slow-churned, and softer. It is served at warmer temperatures as well which contributes to its softness. It is less caloric and has less sugar.

Sherbet is made with fruit juice, but has some milk as well. Sometimes it has gelatin. Much less heavy than ice-cream or gelato with a milkfat content around 1-3%. It is churned like ice-cream.

Sorbet has no dairy. It is made with juice/ crushed or puréed fruit, wine, tea, and sugar. churning is what makes it creamy.
It is not flavored frozen water - that is a Popsicle.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/10/16 4:42 pm

sorbet should have an "or" between wine and tea.

shygal47 Florida east coast
04/10/16 5:59 pm

Thx! I've never known the difference before. I'm not really into desserts like these, but it's good to understand.

bluefish empiricism and love
04/14/16 5:47 am

I followed you for your supreme frozen dessert knowledge

tdyakker lost
04/10/16 4:53 pm

I know the differences as my wife fancies herself an expert on any type of ice cream. She loves the stuff so I've learned about it so I wasn't punished for bringing her the wrong thing.😊🍨

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/10/16 5:21 pm

Yeah, we wife-types can be hard on the spouse for making mistakes, can't we? 8)

tdyakker lost
04/10/16 5:24 pm

She's pretty good about it. Like all husbands I forget things but as long as I get the right type of ice cream I'm usually pretty safe.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/10/16 7:13 am

Ice cream and gelato are the same thing. Sorbet is water-based, like similar to a sno-cone. And I believe sherbet is a hybrid between ice cream and sorbet.

CzarCastic
04/10/16 12:35 am

I was actually serving ice cream and sorbet this evening

CzarCastic
04/10/16 10:26 pm

I did. Mango

Tariq88 Utah
04/09/16 11:54 pm

I can tell the difference, not sure if I could explain the difference.