gow488 April 10th, 2016 4:30am

Will fully electric self driving cars most likely become the dominate type of car in the future?

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
04/11/16 10:07 am

I think they'll develop flex powered cars... The drivetrain and whatnot will be electrified and powered off of batteries, I think there will be a power generation module that could easily be swapped out and use gas or natural gas as a range extender.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
04/11/16 10:09 am

I think it's foolish to think the ICE is dead, they're incredibly reliable and very efficient when you decouple them from the drivetrain and use it as a generator.

MadCow True GOP
04/11/16 6:34 am

You'd have to be dumb to not see it coming.

fredd TrumpLand
04/10/16 10:17 pm

Yes, in urban areas. Only a maybe for large rural areas, depends on how batteries and alternatives develop.

Ailuro49 Just MY own opinion
04/10/16 5:10 pm

Not until they can travel enough miles in a day without a charge to take on vacation. Say a minimum of 600 miles without a charge.

fredd TrumpLand
04/10/16 10:23 pm

Not likely I reckon, at least for passenger cars. Even if it was an option, most people will probably decide that 300 miles is enough, with fast recharging taking say 20 minutes. A 600 mile battery will be costly, heavier and bulkier, compromising the car in day to day use with little utility.

deletedacct
04/10/16 9:44 am

It depends on how far in the future? I figure mine most likely not.

vastmiles
04/10/16 8:22 am

Will the self driving car kill you or the Old lady? These kind of questions will make it hard for that to start up.

phen nebraska
04/10/16 7:24 am

At some point in time in the future I think so...maybe 100 years or so. Not anytime in my lifetime

OldPoop
04/10/16 6:59 am

they are indeed electric cars. they run on battery power. and when the batteries go low, the car must be plugged in to an electrical outlet. the electricity to which is supplied by burning oil or coal. Electric car my . . . err. . . donkey!

fredd TrumpLand
04/10/16 10:31 pm

1. The grid is getting cleaner and will continue to do so. Only electric cars will become less polluting over their lifespan.

2. Large power plants run at much higher efficiencies than Internal Combustion Engines, so it CAN be more efficient and cleaner to burn fossil fuels in the power plant and distribute it to the electric car than burn your fossil fuel directly in your car.

3. Refining and distribution of gasoline uses significant power in itself, the associated emissions are typically not included when comparing ICE to electric cars. When you add those emissions to the tailpipe emissions, electric cars come out on top overall.

OldPoop
04/11/16 5:51 am

You've made 3 assumptions; all three of which are hotly contested or refuted by both the auto industry itself as well the power production people. And you have failed to address miserable battery technology and replacement cost.

fredd TrumpLand
04/15/16 4:50 pm

Contested by interested parties, yes. Refuted, nope. Because they're true.

rons WOKE is sick
04/10/16 5:48 am

Can't wait to get that windmill run SUV.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/10/16 5:33 am

Electric cars will once they're competitive in cost relative to function, which they will likely be within a couple decades.

Self-driving cars will be mandated once 5G connectivity becomes standard in vehicles. Large corporations will have the federal government mandated them and the government will use them to track and control its subjects.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/10/16 5:19 am

Hope so. I care more about the electric part though.

jvc1133 61535
04/10/16 5:00 am

Idk, we may not have a future ?

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/10/16 12:47 am

Wouldn't want one. Self driving means controlled by someone or something else...I am not one to trust that sort of thing. For exa

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/10/16 12:48 am

Supposed to be "for example"...but I'll just stop now.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/09/16 10:34 pm

*dominant. "Dominate" is a verb.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/10/16 2:07 am

The Grammar Police never take a day off! 😃

PoOtiUs SoCal
04/09/16 9:56 pm

I think so. I also think they'll probably be a requirement on all new vehicles sometime in the future just like air bags are today.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/09/16 9:36 pm

I hope so. Clean energy with no emissions (provided electricity is supplied by nuclear and renewables not coal or oil) and far fewer accidents. It will take time for people to accept it but they eventually will.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
04/10/16 10:49 am

Well as 70% of the country burns fossil fuel for electricity generation; and nuclear, hydroelectric and other alternative forms of energy generation can take decades to permit if they are even allowed..... I would say it has little immediate benefit.

gow488 Korea
04/09/16 9:36 pm

I hope so. I'm just worried that unnecessary government regulations will stifle self driving technology.