Cole12 April 10th, 2016 12:00am

I'm an atheist. Do you believe that I'm going to be eternally punished for this?

fredd TrumpLand
04/10/16 11:04 pm

Also an atheist. (In other words, no.)

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/10/16 9:39 pm

If anything it will help you avoid the weekly torture the publicly pious endure, not to mention the torment actual believers suffer regularly by not meeting arbitrary standards. You don't suffer consequences for breaking rules that do not apply to you. Treasure the freedom to live a good and happy life on your own terms, insulated from the self-imposed pressure that constrains so many.

Preox Earth
04/10/16 8:56 pm

I'm an Atheist also so nope.

badattitude no place like home
04/10/16 6:48 pm

I'm a pagan and believe in gods and goddesses. I also don't believe in hell.

actualleviathan
04/10/16 1:36 pm

think of religion like a contract when buying a car: when you decide on it, you know what obligations you're being put under, and you accept them. forcing your religious ideals on someone else is like telling a stranger that they should pay for the car you just bought.
okay, maybe this isn't the best analogy, but hopefully i got the point across: unless you join a certain religion, you're not obligated to obey their laws. not believing in a god just means you don't have an extra contract to obey, it says nothing about the afterlife.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 11:40 am

You will live a much better life than people who pay the tithe. Then die and not face any consequences (positive or negative). Or you could use the superior intellect that goes along with being atheist (www.medicaldaily.com/proved-atheists-more-intelligent-religious-people-250727) to put your brain in a mechanized body and become immortal. Either way, atheists win.

GMBelial Spiritist Conservative
04/10/16 11:23 am

If you lived tour life promoting and doing good for others then not at all. The eternal part never meshed with me with all the examples of forgiveness.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 11:33 am

You know why? Because God is fake.

GMBelial Spiritist Conservative
04/10/16 3:12 pm

Good Luck trying to prove that

TheSocialist INTJ
04/10/16 4:08 pm

Good luck trying to prove the positive claim.

GMBelial Spiritist Conservative
04/10/16 4:35 pm

The proof is all around you if you are willing to see it. There is way too much order in the Universe to be nothing more than random coincidence. We constantly see cycles of renewal around us. The laws behind those cycles is the influence of the Creator no matter how it is named.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/11/16 4:12 am

That is not proof. It is just a coincidence that in this universe we were created and therefore thought there was a creator because of the coincidence.

GMBelial Spiritist Conservative
04/11/16 11:24 pm

Too many "coincidences" to not be a coincidence. The variety of systems and system within systems and the myriad of cycles that makes the universe run like a machine. There would need to be an Intelligence far beyond our own capabilities and comprehension to plan all of these details and allow the system to evolve and change.

As humans, we can develop some systems but we have barely begun to enact cycles in our own creations so that the materials we use maybe reused or recycled over and over again.

If a creator is known by his creation. Then the creation we live in was designed by someone with an unimaginable intelligence to have the Universe running better at its various scales than a Swiss watch.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/12/16 9:20 am

If you study the laws of physics you would know why things follow those patterns. The laws are the only thing that need I be coincidence, they cause everything else to fall into place. The conditions in this universe were sufficient to produce humans, and so you think it isn't a coincidence since you exist, but it is.

GMBelial Spiritist Conservative
04/12/16 7:42 pm

And how did those laws come into being? And just as humans have manipulated the laws of physics to do things like fly and go into orbit. I would posit that some greater intelligence manipulated the laws set in place to create the situation to allow everything we see to come into being. And we know that intelligence has a sense of humor because it created the Platypus.

TheSocialist INTJ
04/13/16 11:34 am

We don't know what created the laws. It is just 99.999...% chance of not being human-like.
And the platypus wouldn't be humorous if not for the universal duck and mammal standards.

liam2013 iowa
04/10/16 9:11 am

Nope. You are going to suffer the same fate as all of us.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/10/16 6:04 am

Maybe, I don't decide any of that

biker4life Texas
04/10/16 4:52 am

Nope. Then again I'm atheist also.

ronderman North Carolina
04/10/16 4:27 am

Thankfully, it's not my call. I will treat you the same either way.

cyanospool The Deep North
04/10/16 2:22 am

Probably. By the people in your life who will give you hell for it ;)

Tariq88 Utah
04/09/16 11:57 pm

I don't know for sure where I am going, so how can I say or know where someone else is going.

smithy0013
04/09/16 10:51 pm

Can you imagine living with a bunch of super pious holier-than-thou Christians? I'll take the embers thank you very much.

jvberg Winter has Come
04/09/16 8:57 pm

If hell is real I'll high five you when we get there

commonman1 Peace
04/09/16 8:57 pm

Yes you will be eternally punished. You will have to live und Obama rule forever. Don't worry Hillary will be there too.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
04/09/16 8:37 pm

I personally believe in a just, fair and loving God that will judge a person fairly to all of the opportunities given to an individual in their life.
I also believe God to be wise, and his plan would be flawed if the largest number of his children were cast into hell. I believe all will have just opportunity to decide if they will follow God.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/10/16 5:25 am

I think cole just said he has rejected such an opportunity.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
04/10/16 7:01 am

I personally believe not but.
As far as rejecting opportunity, that is conjecture. No one other than a God can know all of the workings and thoughts of an individual's life.
I have had the opportunity to feel of the love of God in my life and thus I believe.
Others have not, and others still have been taught to reject such a feeling.
So what is a just opportunity to accept God; simply only God can decide.
For believers, we are taught throughout the scriptures to love all and judge not lest we shall be judge.
So I love everyone, even those who reject, criticize or mock my beliefs.

jmw7477 Indiana
04/09/16 8:30 pm

Nope. My husband is atheist.

dfish at home
04/10/16 3:30 am

Didn't know they had a god/s

jmw7477 Indiana
04/10/16 3:50 am

Yep. I believe in a god and a goddess.

mistah Happy Happy Joy Joy
04/09/16 7:58 pm

Join me in Valhalla instead!

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/09/16 7:45 pm

Nah, the gods don't care what you do

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 7:22 pm

I hope not, but I don't understand taking that sort of risk.

political Georgia
04/09/16 8:07 pm

Pascal Wager's argument? 😉

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 8:09 pm

We have a winner!

political Georgia
04/09/16 8:17 pm

I'm not a big fan of that argument, but I guess we'll discuss this argument another time.

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 8:18 pm

I'm not either, because it doesn't actually indicate any real faith. But it's a starting point.

cyanospool The Deep North
04/10/16 2:25 am

Well, it actually kind of advocates all faiths at once. Why risk it by only following one? Why not opt for the deluxe soul-insurance plan and follow every faith on earth just to cover all bases?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/10/16 5:30 am

@cyanospool, but then you'll be committing idolatry and angering almost all of them.

cyanospool The Deep North
04/10/16 11:03 am

Only a handful of them will be angry. There are many religions that do not explicitly forbid worship of additional gods. Still way better odds than not believing in any of them, if we're going to consider pascal's wager valid.

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 11:06 am

What's your threshold for having too many all powerful gods angry with you? Seems to me that even one would be too many.

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 11:09 am

Since you can't please any of them without pissing off most of them, I think the best plan would be to commit yourself to the most powerful one, who has followed through on His promise to protect His people, and who has a strict policy of love and acceptance for those who are faithful to Him.
That worked for the ancient Jews when they entertained the possibility of other gods, before they came around the understanding that those other gods weren't real.

cyanospool The Deep North
04/10/16 11:21 am

Ststistically, there's no reason to conflate greater depicted power of a deity with the odds of its existence. If we are operating on the assumption that there exists only one true religion and thus only the god(s) of that one religion actually exist, I'd say the odds that a non-permissive god exists should be greater than the odds that they don't. Considering there are more gods that would not be angered than there are those that would, I'd say the odds are still favoring the choice to worship them all.

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 11:39 am

As to your first point, You misunderstood my statement. I didn't say we follow God because He's displayed power. I said we follow God because He keeps his promises. It didn't matter how many babies the Babylonians sacrificed to Marduk. He was still just a statue and statues have a poor track record for keeping promises. If you don't believe me, just ask a modern day Marduk worshipper- if you can find one.

Regarding your second point, if you think you're dealing with a pantheon, then statistical analysis is irrelevant because it only takes one angry or jealous god to ruin your afterlife.

That's why following the one, true God is such an easy decision. We know what to expect, we know He has a long history of taking care of His people, and we know that all those other gods you're so worried about aren't real.

MrMilkdud
04/10/16 11:46 am

But you are on to something. The ancient Roman's and Greeks did have a "temple for the unknown god," where they would make sacrifices just in case they forgot about a particular god or if there happened to be an unknown god in their pantheon. It was a way of hedging bets as you suggest.
Paul makes some very interesting comments about that in Acts 17:23. You should check it out.

caboose2050 Blood Gulch
04/09/16 7:09 pm

I'm an atheist too so no. But even if there is a God it doesn't make sense that he/she/it would punish good people for not having faith.

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 8:44 pm

I would understand people not acknowledging my existence if I was invisible and silent.

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 8:45 pm

Sorry responded to the wrong comment.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/10/16 5:27 am

Not having faith as you describe it from an atheist perspective translates into open rejection and rebellion against God.

caboose2050 Blood Gulch
04/10/16 9:52 am

I can't reject something that I don't believe exists.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/10/16 9:54 am

Just because you don't believe something exists doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I reject the notion that intelligent alien life exists. That doesn't preclude alien intelligent life from existing.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/10/16 10:25 am

Sure, God may very well exist. It's true. But remember, you also reject the existence of many Gods yourself.

Do you believe in Zeus, Osiris, or Shiva? How about Allah? Aren't you worried about going to Tartarus or Naraka?

You reject all of these versions of hell, and you will also be condemned to each and every one of these places if you don't immediately renounce your Christian faith and believe in each of their respective gods.

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
04/09/16 7:06 pm

If someone choose to disavow your existence and thereby refuse to acknowledge the rules for living in your home would you let them live with you forever? Would you want them to? Since they wouldnt want to wouldn't that be kidnapping if you made them?

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 8:46 pm

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 9:07 pm

Yeah I've definitely heard the wind before.

Brrrrrrrrr
04/09/16 6:57 pm

Worry not. Assuming the number at the end our your name was your age, there's plenty of time to change your mind.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/09/16 7:29 pm

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone...

Brrrrrrrrr
04/09/16 7:48 pm

True.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/09/16 6:55 pm

I'm agnostic, so no. Even when I was a Christian, I didn't really buy the idea.

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
04/09/16 7:08 pm

Do we have to buy an idea for it to be true? Not arguing just thought that was an interesting statement.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
04/09/16 7:10 pm

No. I just had a hard time believing it was true.

commonsense America isnt racist
04/09/16 6:55 pm

Ha ha, no. Religion is just like a renaissance fair. Most of the people are just wandering around pretending and hoping that it's real.

clarissarose Edgy Latin Phrase
04/10/16 12:18 am

That comment deserved a follow! 😉

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/09/16 6:48 pm

Get measured for an asbestos suit...

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
04/09/16 6:31 pm

No... but if I'm wrong, I'll meet you there.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
04/09/16 6:30 pm

Us Mormon types don't believe you'll be punished just for being an atheist, but you will be punished for acts that violate your conscience.

Cole12 ...
04/09/16 6:32 pm

That's an interesting way to phrase it - "acts that violate your conscience." What about a person who lacks a conscience? Or what if a particular person's conscience is OK with murder, rape, and other similar things?

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
04/09/16 6:36 pm

We believe everybody is imbued with a conscience that understands the essential rights and wrongs (mental disability excepting), but the conscience can become dulled and suppressed. Repeated and willful violations suppresses it to a point that we call "past feeling." We believe that people will still be held responsible for acts that would have violated their conscience had they not been past feeling.

Cole12 ...
04/09/16 6:40 pm

Ok, thanks for explaining. I'm familiar with general Mormon beliefs, but I had never heard of that one.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
04/09/16 6:44 pm

Unless you've obtained your understanding about our beliefs from a church source then it's unlikely you understand it correctly. There's a ton of anti-Mormon literature out there that's generated by other churches who feel threatened by competing belief systems. I used to be an anti-Mormon and so I'm quite familiar with it all. It's usually based on some truth about our religion, but interpreted completely different than how we interpret it, yet represented as "what Mormons believe." Feel free to ask me anytime you have a question. I'll give you the unadulterated truth.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
04/09/16 6:46 pm

....unadulterated truth.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/09/16 6:24 pm

There is no eternal punishment.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/09/16 6:20 pm

I really don't like having others pretend they decide my fate. It's not their opinion that counts.

However, my opinion is that those that don't believe in anything spiritual are missing out on a rewarding & enlightening part of life.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/09/16 6:30 pm

Not necessarily. I have experimented with several kinds of spirituality but none appealed to me. I don't think I'm missing out on anything, I have a happy, satisfying, fulfilling life without what just isn't for me.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/09/16 7:24 pm

I understand. A lot of believers are fine without organized religion. I get that completely. Some atheist completely deny spirituality exist and they miss what is right in front of them. I'm glad you are happy & only hope for the best for you.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/09/16 6:18 pm

I have a totally unfounded but for me appealing idea: after death, each person gets what they think an ideal afterlife would be, their personal paradise, in a Matrix type simulation, but at any time may opt for simple nonexistence.

BreakfastMash Florida
04/09/16 8:35 pm

Shapeshifting fuck yeah

political Georgia
04/09/16 6:00 pm

Not necessarily for being an atheist.

Cole12 ...
04/09/16 6:01 pm

That's surprising to hear from you.

political Georgia
04/09/16 6:07 pm

I'm full of surprises. Not that you necessarily care since you are an atheist, but I'll just say that some misinterpret a few key Bible verses. I have done some polls targeted towards Christians that relate to this topic. What's the purpose of this poll?

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
04/09/16 6:00 pm

Hell, it's the rationalization they use to scare you into believing in their God. Our God is loving unless you don't like him, then you're going to spend a one way trip to hell to suffer for eternity. 😂 if it was a movie it would be a terrible plot.

xx116xx Christian. Unashamed.
04/09/16 5:52 pm

Yes. I don't want you to, or most people to, but I'm not God.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 5:39 pm

No, I really don't think so. I know this goes against the grain of many Christians, but I just don't believe that the God I believe in as being all loving would let anyone suffer in hell because of that. I'm not entirely sure I believe in hell.

political Georgia
04/09/16 6:11 pm

There is plenty of Biblical evidence to support your original statement. Now, the rest of your comment I disagree with the sentiment of holding God responsible for people not going to Heaven. We can have that conversation another time though.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 6:25 pm

I'm not holding God responsible. I'm saying that a loving God wouldn't even "create" a place that is so dreadful.

political Georgia
04/09/16 6:34 pm

That sounds like a belief system similar to what Mormons believe, I think.

dominiclandry
04/09/16 8:00 pm

What about a just God?

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 8:51 pm

Hmm interesting. I don't see how you can be a Christian really if you don't believe in hell and salvation through Christ. If people who don't believe in God and accept Jesus go to Heaven, then what was the point of Jesus even coming to Earth and getting crucified? That's pretty much the main principle of Christianity isn't it?

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 9:00 pm

Soooooo tired of people on this app telling me I'm not a Christian. I'm already having a religious crisis. It's people like you who push me further and further away from Christ. You can disagree with my views. But to tell someone they aren't really Christian is probably not what Christ Himself would like to hear.

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 9:05 pm

Sorry I didn't realize it was a touchy subject for you. I'm not a Christian so I was just wondering since that seems to be a common theme among modern Christians.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 9:11 pm

That's OK. Sorry I overreacted. I get this a lot on this app and I'm feeling extremely lost and confused right now.

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/09/16 9:27 pm

I understand and I hope you can figure everything out. Sorry again I certainly could've worded my original statement better looking back at it.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 5:48 am

I think Jesus would definitely set people straight. He wasn't the majestic wizard we see Him as in the movies. As to the points mentioned, what would we need salvation from if there isn't Hell? What would the punishment of sin be? What would the purpose of Christ be? I'm not saying you're not a Christian, just proposing the questions to you. God is loving, yes, but He is also just. Equally just and loving. The idea that He sends people to Hell, while widely believed, is false. We're headed there already because of our sin. Jesus went to the cross, defeated sin and death once and forever, and saved us from it. Those who believe are saved.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/10/16 6:34 am

Feel free to believe what you want. I'll continue to believe what I believe. Either way I'm sure we will all meet in heaven together.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:17 am

Are you not willing to discuss my questions?

Kay41 the Midwest
04/10/16 8:23 am

What you have to understand is that right now I'm struggling with what I believe. My beliefs are in turmoil due to a variety of things. I'm am at a stage where I am feeling lost religiously and don't feel that I have a "home" in religion. So, the answer is no, I won't address your questions right now. My struggle is real and I don't want to feel worse about myself by trying to put into words what I can not yet understand fully myself. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to be real about my own needs.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:47 am

Maybe I can help. You can ask me questions if you want

Kay41 the Midwest
04/10/16 8:57 am

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

dominiclandry
04/10/16 8:58 am

That's what I and other Christians are here for. We're not supposed to struggle by ourselves; we are created for community

Kay41 the Midwest
04/10/16 9:02 am

It's good to know that I have support. Thank you.

pkurt88 Las Vegas, NV
04/09/16 5:35 pm

I grew up in a very religious household, and I still go to church today. But, demonizing Atheists does not make a whole lot of sense to me anymore.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
04/09/16 5:11 pm

You're going to hell but no worries, it doesn't exist either.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/09/16 5:05 pm

No lol. But it's fun to make believe.

sydwel
04/09/16 5:05 pm

Nope, I don't believe in Hell. Hell would have some of the best, most interesting people if it existed anyway. We could both go enjoy their company.

gow488 Korea
04/09/16 5:01 pm

Of course not. I'm also an atheist.