Chimama April 9th, 2016 8:40pm

Inspired by @MrMilkdud: The majority of people in a given poll have the same opinion, therefore, that opinion is the correct one.

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 2:30 pm

Wrong. But in that poll, they were right and you were wrong.

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 2:58 pm

My actual rebuttal to your points was fine, it just went over your head.

The quote you've been whining about throughout this poll actually had to do with why I wasn't wasting any more time on you.

Sorry I hurt your feewings.

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 3:03 pm

Like I said, it went over your head.

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 3:04 pm

And now you're trying to drag me back into orbit around the little black hole that is your intellect.

I'm done.

MrMilkdud
04/09/16 3:07 pm

If you'd like to read my winning arguments, go back and read them. I'm not doing this again.
Good bye, chimmy.

sep
04/09/16 2:08 pm

Obviously wrong, especially given that some people phrase their polls in such a way that very few people with opposing views want to participate.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 1:57 pm

From the material you've quoted (I haven't read the original threads) it doesn't seem to be about concensus of opinion at all, but about a number of persuasive arguments, from differing perspectives, explaining a given stand on something. Given that, the statement in the poll question isn't at all what MrMilkdud write, implied, or meant.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 2:07 pm

What Kay said below, exactly.

I probably agree with you about constitutionality in this case. That's irrelevant to the poll question, AS YOU WROTE IT, and AS YOU COMMENTED ABOUT IT in the first comment.

I didn't come here to argue the constitutionality point. I didn't participate in it, in that poll. I won't do it here.

I hope you're aware of SOH's policy about polls that attempt to portray other users negatively.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 2:15 pm

Just stop. You're using this poll to complain about another user. I will not post any more replies here.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 2:27 pm

OK, I'll break my own damned resolve and reply to that: I didn't realize this was going to be a "bash-a-user" poll or I wouldn't have commented. I thought that reasonably pointing out the issue with the logic of the poll would be sufficient.

What I usually do with polls that clearly just bash other users is use the "report as inappropriate" button. I try not to get involved in the discussion at all. Same thing when I see users being abusive to others in comments.

It is NOT about me treating users differently depending on any "soft spots." I've reported friends as well as people I dislike. I've reported (and at times ignored, and more often just unfollowed) liberals as well as conservatives. Etc. I try VERY hard to be consistent. And MrMilk and I are not exactly friends.

So just quit it, please.

Over and out, hopefully.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 1:47 pm

I don't see the quote below as representing what you say it does on the poll question. Granted, I did not read the comments in poll you are referencing. However, my take away from the quote you supplied is that all other users were giving evidence contrary to yours and you didn't want to consider their evidence.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 1:56 pm

I don't know the context of this quote. I'm saying that I disagree that it is saying if everyone had the same opinion, then that opinion is the right one. "You don't see it despite everyone explaining it to you in different ways." This part sounds like everyone else was giving evidence contrary to your opinion. I have no dog in this fight. I'm just saying that your chosen (isolated) quote doesn't necessarily say what you want it to.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 2:00 pm

That's exactly my take on this too, Kay. And I didn't read the original material either, or at least not enough of it to even remember what the subject was.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 2:03 pm

Chinama, that may be the case. Again, I didn't read the comments. However, your quote as it is written does not imply what you think it does without context. I agree with Susan.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 2:07 pm

That isn't the point. The point is, if you are going to use a quote to back up a statement you make, the quote really does need to back it up. Your poll is about the quote, not the TSA. That is what I am responding to. Did he mean exactly what you are implying he meant? Perhaps so. But, this isolated quote does not specifically imply that.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 2:08 pm

And, give Susan some credit. She is one of the most unbiased people on the app.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 2:11 pm

Cough up the money then; I was writing my reply above before you posted this one.

And you apparently have no clue about my "soft spots" or why I might or might not choose to reply to a given comment.

What I have a "soft spot" for is fairness, integrity, and truth. I'm not always 100% spot on with any of those, but that's my goal.

Kay41 the Midwest
04/09/16 2:16 pm

Well, Chim, I'm done here. You are not willing to see the flaw in your poll. You keep writing the same line again and again but refuse to see the significance of the next line when not in context of the comments. For one final time... If you want to use a quote to back up your point of view, make sure the quote actually does that.

susanr Colorado
04/09/16 2:16 pm

(And thanks much for the very kind words, Kay.)