Praetorianus April 9th, 2016 2:32am

And they say there are no dumb questions... From a German dumb questions compilation, which is dumber: "If I download large files on my laptop, will it get heavier?" or "Can we land on the Sun in winter when it's not so hot?"

JHawk3205 MD
04/09/16 10:41 am

In theory, you could land on the sun when it's later in its dwarf stage, but the human race would never survive that long- also, there'd likely be no reason, and the gravity would kill you. Earth wouldn't survive the red giant phase

JHawk3205 MD
04/09/16 10:42 am

So our colonization of another planet would be mandatory for that to happen. All in all, I see no scientific reason to send people to a dormant dying star..

04/09/16 5:42 pm

Definitely wait until the white dwarf has cooled to a black dwarf and have the means to neutralize the gravitational pull.

JHawk3205 MD
04/10/16 2:18 pm

If we had the means to neutralize the gravitational pull, I feel like we'd have more interesting things to do than walk on the sun.. Lol

burdman Nowhere
04/09/16 7:41 am

Ugh some people are so dumb! Why would you go to the sun in the winter when you can just go at night!

JulieB The Lake House
04/08/16 11:32 pm

There ARE stupid questions, I agree. More examples:
Are you ready yet?
Do I look fat in this outfit?

04/08/16 11:42 pm

My favorite is:
Woman to her boyfriend: "does that dress make me look fat?"
Boyfriend: "No, it's your butt that makes you look fat."
Expect a very emotional breakup 😏

JulieB The Lake House
04/08/16 11:46 pm

See? Stupid question. She shouldn't have asked it. 😊

04/08/16 11:17 pm

I quietly traipse about to deliver the third dumb question, and it's SOHAH: It's again very dumb, here we go: "I want to have intercourse with my virgin girlfriend but heard the hymen breaks. Will the bang wake up my parents? How loud is the bang?"

deletedacct
04/08/16 11:02 pm

Both these equally hurt my head. It's like watching Napoleon dynamite over again 😏

logicalphallus Minnesota
04/08/16 8:17 pm

discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/how-much-does-the-internet-weigh

It seems like your computer would indeed probably weigh more if you downloaded a lot of files onto it. We're talking something like quadrillionths of an ounce, but still something.

04/08/16 8:46 pm

One of those things technically correct but I doubt the one who asked about it thought about it. He was probably worried his laptop gets to heavy to carry 😸

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/08/16 8:07 pm

One of my 4th graders said this morning at recess we can't even get close enough to the sun to die on it.

04/08/16 8:45 pm

And it's right. The material with the highest melting and boiling points is tantalum carbide but even that would evaporate before reaching the Sun. Nothing can exist in a solid state on the "surface" of the Sun.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/08/16 8:55 pm

I know, was just pointing out even kids know this stuff

04/08/16 9:37 pm

This was meant for some people frequenting SoH who may not be as informed as a fourth grader 😹

Liberty 4,032,064
04/08/16 7:58 pm

I could see Sanders seriously asking those questions.

04/08/16 8:05 pm

Not sure. You can think his policy is all wrong but I don't think he's uneducated. Smart people can have dumb ideas.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/08/16 8:38 pm

Aside from policy, he's a little senile and honestly just not that bright. He was just what I (and my wife) thought of when reading the poll aloud. I actually read the question about your computer getting heavier in his voice without even consciously thinking about it, haha.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/08/16 8:40 pm

Sort of like the congressman that thought Guam might "capsize and tip over" if too many people lived there.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
04/09/16 5:10 am

I'm NOT a Bernie supporter, but I don't think he is dumb or senile.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/09/16 7:23 am

He can't even remember what was said thirty seconds ago in debates. If he's not there yet, he's certainly well on his way.

ClayTownR California
04/08/16 7:57 pm

If we assume that a computer's "wiped" drive is just a collection of 0's, installing/downloading files or software will make it marginally heavier due to the fact that energy indirectly has mass.

04/08/16 8:03 pm

Hmmm, tricky. I think it takes the same amount of energy to set the drive to any state, including all zeroes.

ClayTownR California
04/09/16 5:05 pm

Wouldn't it therefore have potential energy, though?

missmorganmarie ...
04/08/16 7:55 pm

😨

😂😂😂😂

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/08/16 7:41 pm

Everybody knows that winter on the sun is different than in this hemisphere.

04/08/16 7:52 pm

There is no winter on the Sun, it's always the same balmy 10,000F in the "surface" (photosphere) 😎

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/08/16 7:55 pm

Ok, I jest, but clearly when it's winter on the sun it's got to be winter here.

04/08/16 8:01 pm

Not sure if you ARE jesting. It's colder in winter on Earth because the Sun doesn't get as high above the horizon or shine as long as in summer.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/08/16 8:04 pm

Got it.

But we don't want to experience a solar winter, do we.

04/08/16 8:07 pm

Definitely not. It's claimed that due to lower solar output in the distant past (or space dust blocking sunlight) Earth froze over at least once and life barely made it through.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/08/16 8:12 pm

We live in a fragile bubble.

I'm glad we are exploring the universe & colonizing mars. We have a lot to learn & accomplish.

04/08/16 8:51 pm

One of my most important issues few acknowledge. We shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket. If something like a big asteroid hits Earth, it's good to have a second planet. It's unlikely but IF, risk assessment says we're either toast or survive.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/08/16 7:39 pm

Nothing written in German is more stupid than Angela Merkel's refugee plan.

04/08/16 10:35 pm

I actually fell for it at first (oh, a young workforce infusion to counter low birth rates) but now see it doesn't work. I made a mistake and admit it. She should also admit the mistake and renege. A mistake isn't a problem, insisting on it is.

MrMilkdud
04/08/16 7:35 pm

Landing on the sun seems dumber to me because it reveals a broader range of ignorance about several converging topics.

The computer question is pretty dumb, but involves a very narrow range of ignorance.

04/08/16 7:34 pm

I think the file weight question is even dumber because operating computers is a common experience while some people simply don't know anything about astronomy.