Praetorianus April 9th, 2016 1:37am

Ridiculous warning labels mainly exist to avoid lawsuits. Should a company that fails to display a warning label that anyone with half a brain finds self evident be liable for damages?

drinkdrank Ohio
04/10/16 11:15 pm

There are alot of stupid labels. One thing that effects me personally is when a company (say, dunkin donuts) puts up a generic food allergy warning saying that they are not liable for any products that have traces of peanuts, treenuts, eggs, milk, etc. I have a treenut/peanut allergy, so if I eat their donuts, i eat at my own risk, I understand that, they make nut covered donuts. But I won't ever drink there coffee, or order anything else, because I want some reasonable protection. If the employees swap the cap for a hazel nut flavor with a chocolate syrup flavor it could send me to the hospital with $20k fees. The odds of that happening, less than 1/20000 im sure. None the less, it's not worth going there when there is someone else that can make me coffee without the overhead liability label. About half the places within walking distance of campus (not on campus) have one of those generic warnings, and many likely don't need one. Just one for deserts generally.

Highlander1 Iowa
04/09/16 9:12 am

Instructions unclear, label stuck in eye.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
04/09/16 7:15 am

I get it guys... I understand the line of thinking of "how could anyone be so stupid as to do that?" But on the other hand if there aren't warnings where do we draw the line on where common sense begins and ends? It's easy to say "oh, that's just common sense", but different people have different definitions for that and there's no way to standardize it.

Bobnpt The Ocean State
04/09/16 4:36 am

George Carlin: think how stupid the average person is and realize the half of them are dumber than that

Wackacrat Harford County
04/09/16 4:06 am

I have a boot brush fixed to the floor. The directions say to place my foot in with my shoes on, vigorously move shoe back and forth, then to repeat with the other foot. Something's wrong though. I fall every time and both my feet don't fit in it.

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/09/16 2:52 am

I think i hears a story once that a person with nut allergies tried to sue a peanut company for not putting s warning label on a bag of peanuts

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/08/16 8:45 pm

This country needs tort reform badly. The greasy lawyers have turned our justice system into a giant money making scheme.

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
04/08/16 8:28 pm

They should be held accountable, but not to the extent that they have in the past.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
04/08/16 8:21 pm

"Take pizza out of box/plastic wrapping before placing in oven" is one of my favorites.

RB20 Indiana
04/09/16 11:38 am

Warning: Coffee may be hot

Liberty 4,032,064
04/08/16 7:53 pm

Of course not, but stupid and greedy people will always be there to use government to steal from people.

FarmerManE djent
04/08/16 6:53 pm

Don't pick up lawn mower to use as hedge trimmer? You're crazy

TierasPet
04/08/16 6:48 pm

No but for liability purposes, I'd put it there anyway for two reasons. Some people really are that stupid and others are smart enough to act that stupid and win millions in damages they don't deserve.

imanag My heaven on Earth
04/08/16 8:21 pm

Sadly, that's all true.

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 11:01 pm

Considering that I've met people who have never seen washing machines before, or never used a sitting toilet (just a squatting one), I think that there's a line of genuine ignorance that exists as well. And when it comes to clothing label instructions... There are many companies that write humorous things on them ( www.boredpanda.com/funny-tags-clothing-labels/ ), so the sumo one and the hat one I just lumped in with those.

TierasPet
04/09/16 3:03 am

LOL. Those are hilarious Maj. I liked, don't slap the panda best.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/08/16 6:47 pm

You'd be surprised on how stupid people are, or how smart they are to sue companies for it.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/08/16 6:40 pm

Contents of cup extremely hot? Do not point binoculars at the Sun? Do not use hair dryer in the bathtub? I think companies should not be obligated to pay damages resulting from extreme stupidity.

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/08/16 8:47 pm

I like it when they print "do not eat" on packaging materials.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/08/16 8:56 pm

You may refer to silica gel, a desiccant. It seems some people confuse them with sugar packs.