LibArtie April 9th, 2016 12:58am

As an atheist, I'm offended when others assume I believe in God by saying things like "It's God's plan.," or "Have a blessed day."

liam2013 iowa
04/09/16 8:54 am

You are being too sensitive. If someone blesses you it just they way of saying have a nice day. If you are really bothered why not wear a sign that says I am an atheist.

04/09/16 8:27 am

Another RWNJ name caller. Welcome.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
04/09/16 5:45 am

I'm also an atheist, but I evaluate it based on the intention, not the wording itself. I obviously don't share the same beliefs as that person, but presumably, they say it with some reasoning.

RyanX
04/08/16 10:47 pm

As an atheist, I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you really are offended by such trivialities. It's one thing to really be dismissive of or discriminatory towards someone who doesn't believe in God, a whole different thing to use well-meaning turns of phrase in passing. At worst it's a bit irksome but not offensive.

04/09/16 4:40 am

Religion offends me, so all I ask is that those who believe in it keep it to themselves. I don't impose my beliefs on others.

CDUBS Dallas, Tx
04/08/16 10:20 pm

Maybe stop being so sensitive.

EarlyBird Portland
04/08/16 9:59 pm

Everybody has a reason to be offended these days. 🙄🙄🙄

04/09/16 4:34 am

It offends me when people presume I'm ignorant.

CDUBS Dallas, Tx
04/12/16 12:00 am

You must get offended a lot on here. I haven't read anything of substance from you. Always just ultra left wing nonsense.

04/12/16 8:08 am

Likewise from you and your right wing sonatas.

voc I am...what I am
04/08/16 9:34 pm

Why would you be offended by people being nice? Seems silly to me.

MuffinToots
04/08/16 8:43 pm

Grow some thicker skin. This is your choice to be irritated by something so trivial. There are bigger problems in the world than someone trying to be nice to you or bring your comfort.

catpillow Florida West Coast
04/08/16 8:42 pm

Lots of people can't conceive of the possibility that other people don't follow the same religion they do. Those greetings annoy me a bit too, but I try very hard to accept that the other person means to wish me well.

voc I am...what I am
04/08/16 9:39 pm

Why? People are just being nice. Why wouldn't you just say thank you and move on? I know you said that's what you try to do, but why does it bother you?

KingMilo Earth
04/08/16 7:53 pm

Well may God bless this question

donkong Hanoverian
04/08/16 7:36 pm

I'm an atheist but I don't get offended by stuff like that. What's it hurt?

04/08/16 7:40 pm

I don't like the presumption that I believe in a god.

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 11:18 pm

It's not a presumption that you believe in God. It's their language. People always speak from what they know and is close to them. If you talk to a Hindu, you're gonna get Hindu metaphors. If you talk to a pantheist, you're gonna get pantheist metaphors. If you talk to an atheist, you're gonna get atheist metaphors.

Do you get annoyed if foreigners wish you Buenos Dias? Or Konnichi wa? It's the same thing, only the difference is life experience. It applies to jobs and areas of study. People speak what they know. Now, if the speak the language of asshole and are doing it to piss you off, that's another thing. But since atheists aren't required to wear yellow stars, how are others supposed to know you don't speak their language so they can be polite enough to speak yours?

04/09/16 4:47 am

I usually agree with you Maj but not on this. Your analysis is flawed. When someone injects God into a conversation, there is a presumption that I share that belief. That's where I take offense. Customs and foreign language is not analogous.

Maj Worth Economist
04/09/16 9:19 am

Yep. We're gonna be on opposite sides here. In all my travels, I've learned that people just speak what they know - I've enshallahed and omed and whatever-that-was-ed. They knew I didn't share their beliefs, but they were focused more on the reason that inspired their God-tinged comments than some presumption that I was the same religion as they were.

But then, my brother-in-law doesn't understand that when my mom says "pray for me" to her peeps on Facebook, she's not literally telling him to pray. She knows he's an atheist and doesn't pray. She just wants the good luck vibes sent into the universe on her behalf. And it doesn't matter if it's a "you can do it!" in an email, or a literal prayer... That's her language.

04/09/16 9:24 am

I appreciate your prospective Maj!

Maj Worth Economist
04/09/16 9:40 am

Thanks for dealing with my ranting. 😉♥️😊

04/09/16 9:43 am

LOL, I easily out ranted you:)!

augustin Oklahoma
04/08/16 7:07 pm

Since I'm not an atheist I'll answer this from the other end. I suppose as a religious person, I could get offended every time someone attacks God or my religion. I just don't see the point in getting upset over it though, so I just let people say what they want without it affecting me. I have better things to do than be offended.

04/08/16 7:10 pm

I'm sure there are things that offend you too, whether or not you have better things to do.

augustin Oklahoma
04/08/16 7:19 pm

Sure. Everyone has things that offend them. It's their choice to become angry though. I strive to be slow to anger. Just a part of my personality, I guess. It seems some people are happiest when they're angry. I'm just not one of those people.

augustin Oklahoma
04/08/16 7:26 pm

You did. Being offended is being angry.

04/08/16 7:29 pm

I didn't know that. Must be my NY values. Do you think I'm angry now?

augustin Oklahoma
04/08/16 7:33 pm

Maybe, I don't know. There's really nothing to be angry over.

04/08/16 7:38 pm

Right. I'm trying to tie my awful analogy into my argument and simply can't. So let me just say that I disagree with your suggestion that being offended equates with anger. They're very different.

augustin Oklahoma
04/08/16 7:44 pm

Ok. I can agree to disagree on that. I'm just here for discussion, that's all. Just learning about other people's viewpoints.

ADLK1996 New York
04/08/16 6:57 pm

It gets annoying
I roll my eyes
I don't like the idea of some man in the sky who smites people and has a giant ego

stammtheman Mamou
04/08/16 6:45 pm

Hey Artie, as the middle eastern way of life gets a larger footing in the USA, prepare yourself to be offended.....to death....

04/08/16 6:50 pm

Stamm, conservatives are miserable unless they're frightened. You can sleep under your bed tonight if you like, I'm good; thanks just the same.

stammtheman Mamou
04/08/16 7:02 pm

I ain't conservative, I'm human. Thanks for showing your strength.

sydwel
04/08/16 6:25 pm

I'm an atheist and I'm not offended by passing mentions of God.

04/08/16 6:27 pm

You will be after another couple of decades of life's experience.

sydwel
04/08/16 6:29 pm

I am only frustrated by suggestions that belief and prayer would "fix" things that aren't real issues (ex: sexuality) or things that need real world treatment (ex: depression).

04/08/16 6:35 pm

Yes, of course. Much more than that too.

sep
04/08/16 7:02 pm

I feel the same way as sydwel ( and I've been around for a few decades.) "Have a blessed day" is just some religious people's version of "have a nice day." I don't understand being offended by it. "It's God's plan" might bother me, but it would depend on the context. If it was an attempt to justify suffering, I might be offended, but more by the callousness than by the fact that God was invoked.

04/08/16 7:08 pm

What offends me is the presumption that I subscribe to "your" beliefs. Keep God to yourself.

chili2016
04/08/16 6:22 pm

In the same vein, I get aggravated when I ask how someone is and they reply "I'm blessed". I have no clue what an appropriate response to that answer is. Also, I guess my version of God does not place anyone above anyone else, and I interpret someone saying they are blessed as implying that other people are not blessed.

04/08/16 6:25 pm

I used to be polite, not anymore. I also dislike when people say "I'll pray for you."

Bobnpt The Ocean State
04/08/16 6:33 pm

Try being really sick and listening to all the "I will he praying for you".

04/08/16 6:36 pm

It would make me sicker. I guess prayers can influence health:)!

Jimmo Texas
04/08/16 6:00 pm

I think you should choose something more worthwhile to be offended by.

04/08/16 6:08 pm

Agreed. Why be offended by the mention of an imaginary man in the sky?

GlockMan1 Alabama
04/08/16 6:19 pm

Because God is 1) Not imaginary 2) not a man 3) not in the sky.

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/08/16 7:22 pm

Interesting view point..... I like it!

Jimmo Texas
04/08/16 7:49 pm

Really Lib why do you care? And if you are offended by the fact that someone would care enough about you to ask their God for help on your behalf, something is definitely wrong with you.

04/08/16 7:59 pm

No thank you. Keep your religion to yourself. If you choose to believe in magic, don't impose it on me.

Jimmo Texas
04/08/16 8:02 pm

By the same token. If you choose to be a butt hurt moron, keep it to yourself.

04/08/16 8:05 pm

You responded to my poll question. You're just as welcome to leave if you wish. I won't even be offended if you don't say bye.

Jimmo Texas
04/08/16 8:06 pm

Very well. Seems a bit strange to post a poll and not want to consider dissenting views.

04/09/16 4:49 am

Well then you let your imaginary friend down.

04/09/16 5:26 am

Now we're both being silly. I'm not bothered by your comment because it's inauthentic.