AnarchoComrade April 8th, 2016 8:35pm

Your 16 year old (3.8 GPA) stays out with friends until 2am on a school night. He comes home smiling and sober. Do you give him an artificial repercussion (take his keys), or do you let him experience natural repercussions (being tired next morning)?

CDUBS Dallas, Tx
04/08/16 11:15 pm

Why is everyone adding to the scenario?

In my scenario, he fell asleep after scoring with his girlfriend (who is the only 3 time homecoming queen in history). I give him a high five and tell him to get some sleep, because all the college scouts are coming into town to watch him break the national record for most touchdowns thrown by a high school quarterback in history.

And you just added a stupid curfew into yours. My kid is awesome and yours is just late.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/08/16 7:51 pm

Uh, considering his curfew is likely 10 or 11 he is definitely grounded.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/09/16 3:35 am

Because
1) he is a 16 year old kid
2) living in my house under my rules with a
3) 50/50 chance that the government says he cannot drive after 11
4) on a school night.

Ellock Perpetually Tired
04/08/16 6:35 pm

Both because I wouldn't let my 16 y/o be out that late so it would involve deliberate disobedience

Ellock Perpetually Tired
04/09/16 4:59 am

Because at 16 I doubt they have the responsibility to make that decision. If they show signs before hand that they are mature and willing to act like an adult, as long as I know where they are, sure they can stay out.
So really, I may not care at all. As long as they manage their responsibilities. But it really depends, I could just see myself saying 'okay you can go out with your friends but be back by 12' or something along those lines, which is why I said that. And legally I don't think a 16 year old can drive past midnight in my state.

EmeraldShift Liberty, Justice For All
04/08/16 2:30 pm

@AnarchoComrade you should ask the same question replacing "sober" with "drunk" and being tired with being hungover on a school morning.

CMD1973 Oxford iowa
04/08/16 2:24 pm

You need to have made some rules beforehand. If you don't set limits of what is acceptable behavior then how do you expect to be able to discipline them now? Talk to your children.

phen nebraska
04/08/16 2:11 pm

Depends on if parents gave him a curfew. If he broke rules, he gets consequence

ronderman North Carolina
04/08/16 1:48 pm

I take his keys and he is tired in the morning. As a matter of fact, we are doing yard work after school.

AnarchoComrade Anarchist Federation
04/08/16 9:02 pm

Artificial consequences. All he learns is not to piss off dad.

ronderman North Carolina
04/09/16 5:06 am

I would expect you to say something like this. No offense, just differences in opinions.

This is something that will be clear before he gets keys in the first place. These rules will be a condition of key ownership. He will have a phone with which to call if he is caught in a situation that he can't get out of and has to be late. Grace will be shown at that time.

sydwel
04/08/16 1:43 pm

More inclined to let it be natural unless other factors are in play, like missing something important while out or repeatedly staying out longer than permitted.

AnarchoComrade Anarchist Federation
04/08/16 9:03 pm

I agree that if it is a constant occurrence, and especially if grades or other responsibilities start to lack, then parental action is needed

Maj Worth Economist
04/08/16 1:41 pm

If I had a curfew set, then I might talk to him about not making it home in time in which case, the repercussion is that he's not going out with his friends on school nights anymore. But if I didn't, why do anything?

evanlauer Redmond, WA