Sk8BoredR April 8th, 2016 1:24am

Trump keeps saying he wants to bring jobs back to the USA & yet he still continues to have his name brand products made in China & other nations providing them with jobs. Should he put his money where his mouth is & bring those jobs home to the USA?

catpillow Florida West Coast
04/07/16 8:53 pm

As I understand it, the plan involves changing the rules so that it is more profitable for manufacturers to use American labor. I'm not convinced it can be done without breaking treaties.

Jimmo Texas
04/07/16 6:42 pm

If there is an even playing field sure.

JustWondering Margaritaville
04/07/16 6:33 pm

Yeah and if his supporters are serious than they will pay the extra money for American made
Products.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 6:30 pm

His campaign merchandise is made in the United States, however it's hard to run his other companies in the United States. With no reform no one would buy his products because they'd be too expensive, it's hard to run a business without doing that. However, he hasn't outsourced his companies, but rather his production.

Trump wishes to reform this, so businesses don't have to do this in order to be successful.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 6:31 pm

Also he sells his name to a lot of clothing companies that produces clothing from foreign countries, but he himself has no control over this.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/07/16 7:36 pm

What actions are you expecting Trump to take to decrease the cost of producing in the U.S. such that manufacturing costs are on par with the cheapest in the world? You realize labor costs are the biggest part of the equation right?

And Trump doesn't determine who uses his name? He's unable to insert a clause that says "my name can only be used on products solely manufactured and produced in the U.S.? For a guy who claims to be so clever, I'd be surprised if the concept escaped him.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 7:43 pm

If someone offered you millions to use your name on their brand of clothing would you do it? Keep in mind currently when you signed that contract you weren't running for office.

I do realize labour rights are part of the problem and that's why the product is so high in price. I'd assume that lowering the minimum wage in the U.S. would get more unskilled workers employed and on the assembly lines to make things cheaper, although I'm not saying this is Trump's policy you can view his positions on his website.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/07/16 7:47 pm

So you expect him to be able to accomplish something, even though you don't have a firm idea of how he's even going to approach it? Isn't that blind faith?

And does this version of me care or not care about US employment? The version of me that doesn't give a crap about US workers would obviously take the $1M. The version of me who actually does care about US workers, would decline the $1M. Which does that make Trump?

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 7:54 pm

Well like I said above it's hard to make a profit as a corporation in the United States without outsourcing your production. Although Donald Trump dosen't outsource his jobs or companies. But he does do international business and has some great golf courses around the world. He's employed thousands of people in the United States with his companies, something most politians haven't accomplished.

I'm not informed on his position on this issue because I've been busy researching Monarchy for the past month along with going to school. Although a good friend of mine gave me a summary. I will check it out tomorrow probably, but for now I will admit I'm not completely informed on his position on this issue.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/07/16 8:01 pm

Let's say there are two companies that want to use Trump's name. One produced outside the U.S., the other within. The foreign producer offers you $10M to use your name, the U.S. producer $5. Now keep in mind, this is cash in your wallet, you are not creating jobs. If you're Trump, with his billions of dollars, you're telling me you'd screw US workers and take the $10M? How much money does an individual need? And how little does this guy care about US workers? Like pretty much every position, his change of heart(suddenly caring about US workers) comes at a tellingly convenient time.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 8:04 pm

But no company offered him 5 million to keep it in the United States...

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/07/16 8:38 pm

Haha my lord that was a hypothetical example. If you don't think there are American producers who would pay to use his brand if they got a discount on the rate for producing solely in the US, you're sorely mistaken. If the cost of the supply is decreased, the demand will buy it. Even if it's $2 versus $10... Trump needs the extra $8M? He's always cared more about enriching himself than the nation or its laborers, and I don't think you'll see a clearer example than in this.

Would at least agree that your original statement, that he can't control where the companies who use his name produce their goods, is now evidently incorrect?

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 8:47 pm

You can't use this hypothetical example because this deal was never offered to him. I'm sure he'd just accept both their checks, and they both would use his name. That's what they do for the MAGA merchandise.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/07/16 9:19 pm

Mon dieu, Luft. Your original comment is excusing the foreign manufacturing of goods that bear his name, explaining that he can't control them. Clearly Donald Trump is able to control who he does and who he doesn't do business with. If you can't admit, I'll say it for you, your statement is self evidently false and deceptive. To maintain it, IMO, is somewhat ludicrous.