Shazam April 7th, 2016 6:13pm

Tonight is the very last episode of American Idol with the final winner being revealed. Will you be watching or DVRing?

spring27 California
04/07/16 11:56 pm

Had to watch the last show to see all of the returning contestants and winners. Really fun stroll down memory lane. I haven't watched several of the later seasons, so I didn't know a lot of those singers. But, fun to see Latoya London, JHud, Bo Bice, the whole soul guys group number, and Kellie Pickler from the earlier seasons. Oh and Jordin Sparks & Melinda Doolittle! One more: David Cook!

The show did uncover some great talent, we probably wouldn't have heard otherwise.

susanr Colorado
04/07/16 3:40 pm

No. I've never had any particular interest in it.

I did actually watch a little of it fairly early on, but I really didn't care for the process in general, or the hype.

rons WOKE is sick
04/07/16 3:02 pm

I watch the losers in the beginning then quit.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/07/16 2:49 pm

Proud to say I've never watched it..

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/07/16 12:24 pm

Down voting again? A clearly written, Non-biased, non-polarizing poll with appropriate answer. What is wrong with you bunch of basement-dwelling wussies?!?

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/07/16 12:26 pm

That's a shame. It was a show way ahead of its time, and its impact on pretty much everything in our entertainment world has been massive. Oh, and it has generated some incredible performers along the way!

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
04/07/16 12:32 pm

I don't see it as much different in concept than 'Star Search' and while it did bring a few talents out....I don't like the concept of it. It's a shortcut to stardom that thrusts unprepared people into the spotlight and gives people false ideas about success in that industry. Full disclosure....I've seen Kelly Clarkson and Daughtry in concert (Mrs Squid likes them). Kelly opened for Maroon 5 and she was good. Daughtry headlined at the Oregon State Fair and he was the worst headliner I've ever seen.....he's barely an opening act. His lack of experience and stage presence showed.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/07/16 1:18 pm

SQUID - I'd counter that the biggest thing I like about Idol is it shifts the power to say "yes" or "no" for whether a singer is talented from a single recording exec to the people who actually listen and buy music. Most (but clearly not all) of the finalists have been chasing that dream for a very long time, and Idol had given them an opportunity to be successful very rarely achievable strictly via the club/fair circuit. Sure. There were a couple 15 yr olds who made it very far. I think one with little to know experience acrually won. Most were like Daughtry (didn't win) and Rupert and Kelly who had been doing the grind for yrs before Idol. I like that. I like that listeners get to choose. As far as Star Search goes, the biggest difference is while with SS we saw this one snapshot of a performer, on Idol we see the performers develop over the season. Some, like one of this yrs contestants Trent came in incredibly raw and through a shit ton of work have become really good singers.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/07/16 1:19 pm

Anyhow, that's why I like the show. I don't think it's so much a "short cut" as it is a way to circumvent the drama and politics of the recording industry and just let great singers have a chance at success. One of my fav shows.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
04/07/16 1:38 pm

We can agree to disagree...but I will say this. 'Idol' alums are not going to have 40+ year careers. We have geezers like Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Bob Seger and Madonna still selling out arenas because there hasn't been any authentic acts in the last 25 years to take their place.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/07/16 1:43 pm

SQUID - I think a couple may have similar staying power, but truthfully both within Idol and without I kinda think the days of the mega group who is touring into their +60s may be gone. I think Katy Perry might be one. I could see Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood doing so as well. VERY few others on the FM dial do I think will have that potential.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
04/07/16 1:51 pm

And I'm not agreeing to anything Bucko! You're straight up wrong!

Kay41 the Midwest
04/07/16 11:16 am

I'll watch. I've always liked American Idol.

Seneca imbeciles for trump
04/07/16 11:15 am

Does not the Bible clearly tell us to not create idols?