DerekWills April 7th, 2016 3:15pm

Passover (פסח) is coming up and I've been reading up on how to celebrate it properly, but there's so much information, I'm not entirely sure. Can someone give me a Campbell's soup version and any tips for someone who travels as much as I do?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/08/16 10:58 pm

Ozzy's answer below looks great to me. Alice may have more to add.

Suzan Hawaii
04/07/16 2:24 pm

Get invited to a Jewish families home. The Passover's traditions are terrific.

goldz oh this world
04/07/16 2:12 pm

Well there's the basic laws of chametz - bread that rose. You can find kosher for Passover things in most stores. Do you have a place to eat the Passover Seder?

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 2:14 pm

I'm not sure where I'll be on the 22nd. Possibly Oklahoma City, but nothing is confirmed yet.

MrMilkdud
04/07/16 10:12 am

There's a synagogue near my house that hosts a Seder meal for people in the community who might not have anywhere else to go (singles, travelers, elderly, etc). Maybe you could find something like that where you're going to be.

MrMilkdud
04/07/16 10:16 am

And I think the Jewish preschool my kids attend is part of a community center, and they have these Seder kits for families that have food and other things in them.

MrMilkdud
04/07/16 10:18 am

Oops- that should have said "which is part of a community center..."

Thank you, auto correct, for making it look like I don't know what's connected to my kids' preschool.

ozzy
04/07/16 8:44 am

Passover is the longest continuously practiced religious holiday on record.
The Passover Seder (order) retells the story of exodus from slavery in Egypt to freedom in the desert, where Moses receives the 10 commandments, to the next generation entering the promised land of Israel.
It includes the 10 plagues that G-d sent down upon Egypt to convince pharaoh, the symbolism of such things as the hurried bread of affliction - matzoh, the bitterness of slavery in the horseradish root- marror, the sweetness of freedom in a wine and apple mix - charossetz, the honor to G-d in the sacrifice of the paschal lamb - shank bone.
The story also involves children who recite the 4 questions that encompass how we see the story and include ourselves in the exodus - "this is how WE were slaves in egypt and G-d remembered his covenant with his people and set US free, returning US to OUR promised land". This approach makes it personal for each person, reinforcing slavery to freedom as G-ds covenant.

ozzy
04/07/16 8:46 am

G-ds covenant with his people Israel

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 8:55 am

Any tips on the best way to do all of this when I'm out of town for work? I know I'm not supposed to work, but I can't take off at the moment, so I'm going to need forgiveness on that part.

ozzy
04/07/16 8:56 am

We also keep the front door open and an empty seat at the table with wine for the prophet Elijah to join us (symbolic of course).
The Seder includes 4 glasses of wine even for children (at least in my family), and discussions from Talmudic rabbis relating to freedom.
The symbolic matzoh is hidden (afikomen) and children are sent to find it. The winner usually gets geld/gelt (chocolate coin shaped money) or money.
There are also songs and prayers.

ozzy
04/07/16 8:59 am

It is probably most important to be with others to celebrate. It is customary to invite others, strangers and even non-Jews. Also important is to not eat bread (or other starches that can rise - rice, some beans, any bread) for the 8 day period of Passover.
Other than that it is just a long communal meal with symbolism (and no bread)

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 8:59 am

I didn't know about that! That's awesome!

ozzy
04/07/16 9:00 am

The Passover book is called a haggadah. Google it. Some supermarkets give out short versions free

ozzy
04/07/16 9:01 am

Hope that helps

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 9:01 am

It does help a bit. Thanks Brother.

ozzy
04/07/16 9:02 am

Oh - it is also the precursor or spring cleaning. Orthodox Jews clean out the kitchens prior to Passover to remove all "breads" from the house. One custom is to donate these to the needy.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 9:04 am

On the intermediate days, you don't hold Seder correct? It's just on the first two and the last nights right? Every other day is to continue avoiding leavened bread, grains, etc, but there's no special meal right?

ozzy
04/07/16 9:11 am

Correct.
I only do Seder the first night.
Matzoh is great on day 1 and nasty by day 8. Lol
This is also the one holiday where we eat gefilte fish. Better smothered with horseradish sauce. Trust me. Lol

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 9:12 am

Haha! Well I do love horseradish.... Do you still fast on the intermediate days?

chinito Florida
04/07/16 2:12 pm

Derek, you only have Seders the first 2 nights. Where are you going to be? I'm sure you can find a synagogue that will invite you to a Seder.

goldz oh this world
04/07/16 2:15 pm

Gefilte fish with horseradish!! My grandparents' house in four words.....😂

Derek, the Seder traditionally starts off with a passage that includes the lines, "Anyone who is hungry, come and eat, anyone who is needy, come and celebrate Passover." And it's also a tradition to keep the doors unlocked.

So if you hear any Hebrew-sounding words coming from a house on Passover night, you can just walk in. They'll be glad to have you.

goldz oh this world
04/07/16 2:18 pm

Ozzy...you only do Seder the first night? Why?

ozzy
04/07/16 3:03 pm

Idk. I guess that all my family can take of each other??? Lol.

goldz oh this world
04/07/16 3:19 pm

😂 in Israel the tradition is only one Seder. Then it gets complicated for my Israeli cousins who come to America.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 8:54 am

If I understand right, the morning of passover, I get rid of all leavened bread and fast, only eating matzot until 2 hours before sunset. Then the Seder is where I get lost. I know we eat bitter root, horseradish, matzah soup, and something else, with 4 glasses of wine, but all that gets jumbled up. I travel a lot for work and will be gone when Passover begins. I guess I'm wondering what I should do.

ozzy
04/07/16 2:20 pm

He's right. Most synagogues would welcome you

joeish11 Texas
04/07/16 3:50 pm

Most Chabad houses probably will.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
04/09/16 5:59 am

There's a lot of good information in other comments, but I'll add my "two cents."

First of all, there is no fasting. You must have misunderstood something you heard or read. You are right on, about ridding your house of bread and other grains ("chametz"). Since you are traveling, you can do this ahead of time. Then, try to avoid chametz for the rest of the holiday.

The Seder is, as others have mentioned, a communal or family thing. There's no meaningful way you can do it alone. If you know where you are going, look online for a list of local synagogues. Contact a few of them, explain your situation and see what they can find for you.

There are two Seders (first and second nights), but some people only have one. Here is a link that may help, depending on where you are going. Your best bet is if you are going to a big city, with a large Jewish population. Good luck!
m.chabad.org/holidays/passover/seders.htm

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 8:22 am

As a practicing Orthodox Jewish Rabbi I think I could explain it to you.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/07/16 9:30 am

Not in public, I usally leave it near my gold sack at my house.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/07/16 8:16 am

@ozzy @GrandmaAlice, I'd greatly appreciate y'alls input on this. 😊

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
04/09/16 6:03 am

By the way, I didn't get this notification, because you put a comma after my name. There's an SOH flaw, that a tag can't be followed by any punctuation. I saw this poll, because of another tag by @missmorganmarie

I commented above. Good luck!