JustBob April 7th, 2016 12:55pm

Paul owns a bar in the same strip mall as an AA meeting hall. To drum up more business, hands out fliers in the parking lot "trade your chip for 2 free drinks." The meeting managers are getting a court order to stop him. You're the judge, stop Paul?

liam2013 iowa
04/10/16 9:45 am

The business is harder to move to a new location than the AA group. Judge will side with them.

corino Utah
04/09/16 10:56 pm

Paul, those people are alcoholics. Some of them are court ordered to attend AA. There is legislation intended to prevent you from selling excess drink to people you know have had too much. Restraining order granted.

catpillow Florida West Coast
04/08/16 5:53 am

Shame on Paul. He's really being a jerk. He hasn't broken a law, though.

Wackacrat Harford County
04/08/16 4:02 am

As disgusting as Paul is, he is with in rights. He is a business owner promoting his business to grown adults. It's like these Drs pushing pharmaceuticals on their patients.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/07/16 6:06 pm

No way. That is a perfectly reasonable promotion, and it seems more aimed at non-AA customers who would find it cute than the members themselves who would just ignore it and call a friend. If they are so close to the edge they fall off the wagon for that, they probably weren't going to make it through another day or two anyway.

scubaagb
04/07/16 11:25 am

Paul is a big jerk and if I was a patron of that bar I would let him know I wasn't ever coming back. BUT he has every right to do it. Let the market decide if he deserves to stay in business.

JDoe Its a gift
04/07/16 11:22 am

That's an old scenario. It was even something that Moe did on The Simpsons years ago.

TheCameron UCF
04/07/16 12:45 pm

Everything was on the Simpsons at one point.

croopertrooper Greater Cincinnati Area
04/07/16 9:59 am

No of course not. Consenting adults making decisions. However, I would try to make some forgery chips of my own and scam some free drinks if I could.

Bev
04/07/16 9:41 am

Those 12 step groups are worse than religious nutwings. If I had to attend that drivel I'd pay double for a drink... Never mind free. Good grief, grow up ffs.

Ever notice how anyone attending any 12 step mumbo jumbo speaks in cliches? They have some stupid "saying" for everything.

"Oh dear, my child has terminal cancer"
12 step response: "let go and let God"

They turn out a bunch of robots that think they can answer everything in life with "I am powerless..." What a stupid attitude. Great idea to tell a bunch of sniveling grown ups they are powerless (insert sarcasm).

BarryB Was it something I said
04/07/16 11:31 am

I'm sorry you have this bad a view of AA. In my case, they helped me get my life back. In the past 70+ years, they've done the same for millions of people.

They aren't the only game in town, but I don't believe I would be where I am today without the help of this program and the people. One of those cliches you mentioned is "Take what you want and leave the rest".

Bev
04/07/16 11:38 am

I hear you. I'm jaded no doubt😄

BarryB Was it something I said
04/07/16 3:49 pm

It's a tough thing to rationally understand and evaluate AA, or any possible solution, when your life is unraveling and 12 Step groups are, by definition, not built to promote themselves. I found the best chances for successful recovery is one alcoholic/addict sitting down with another alcoholic/addict.

allswel Minnesota
04/07/16 3:53 pm

Well said BarryB.

Not sure what your dealing with Bev, I wish you luck with it.

I have seen some AA people get somewhat "cultish" about it, but I have never seen any of those people die from that. I have been a pall bearer at more than a few alcholic's funerals who cold not find a way to stop drinking.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
04/09/16 7:38 am

There is an alternative group to AA,. I forgot the name of it, that is not that religious. My sister and a few friends went to it. They were turned off by the religious overtones of AA..

BarryB Was it something I said
04/11/16 3:14 pm

You're probably talking about Rational Recovery.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
04/07/16 9:39 am

Tar & feather him for being a royal asshat!

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
04/07/16 7:26 am

I'd be interested in comparing the results if the question were modified to say that someone left the bar after redeeming their free drinks, drunk drove, and killed someone. Should the bar owner be held accountable to any degree?

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 7:35 am

Ooo, I like it, different issue maybe, but I still like it. As for now, I'd be more interested in dwelling more on the incitement theme, one's words or actions that cause another to harm themselves. Example:

ronderman North Carolina
04/07/16 7:36 am

Depends on how drunk and can you prove that the bar owner/bartender knew that the person was drunk and driving.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 7:38 am

Mike and John are sitting in a psychiatric waiting room. Mike expresses to John that he is thinking of killing himself. John says to Mike "I don't blame you, if I were you I would have done it a long time ago. The best way is pills, lots of them. Best of luck Mike." Mike leaves and is found dead the next morning. Should John face any liability?

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
04/07/16 7:53 am

This user is currently being ignored

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 7:57 am

Not that I know of with inciting others to harm themselves, inciting violence against someone else, we do, but not against ourselves. It would also appear, based on the results so far, not too many of us think people should be held accountable

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 9:16 am

I do think it's worth finding out if we believe that inciting others to commit violence against a third party should be punished.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
04/07/16 7:14 am

EARN those chips, b1tches!

/s

allswel Minnesota
04/07/16 7:07 am

A bar did that nearby my AA home group. We made up 5,000 One Day "chips" and put buckets of them for anyone who wanted one with a sign, "Good for a free drink at ...."

They stopped their give away fairly quickly.

HoosierFan
04/07/16 7:04 am

Immorality in itself isn't a crime.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 7:05 am

Immorality that causes damage?

political Georgia
04/07/16 7:01 am

He should be allowed to do so.

professorwho Madness and Genius
04/07/16 6:50 am

Capitalism at its finest

Kay41 the Midwest
04/07/16 6:03 am

Paul is a despicable human, but he does have the right to advertise. Sounds like AA needs to move.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
04/07/16 6:25 am

This user is currently being ignored

Kay41 the Midwest
04/07/16 6:44 am

He is despicable for purposely preying on those who are very vulnerable in a way that could ruin their lives. Some in AA are barely holding on living their lives one day at a time to make it through. I've personally seen the destruction caused by alcoholism and I've lost a lot because of an alcoholic. I'm going through an extremely difficult, devastating, and, awful time right now because of alcohol/her choices due to alcohol. He can advertise, but targeting the alcoholics is what makes him despicable to me.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
04/07/16 7:26 am

This user is currently being ignored

TierasPet
04/07/16 6:02 am

No, why would anyone hold an AA meeting next to a bar? Move the meeting.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 6:25 am

This question was inspired by a strip mall in my area. They have an ice cream shop next door to a Weight Watchers.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/07/16 6:26 am

Maybe an AA meeting next to a bar is an attempt to save as many as possible

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
04/07/16 6:41 am

This user is currently being ignored

TierasPet
04/07/16 10:25 am

I've seen some badly located Weight Watchers facilities as well. I do think that it's important to pick locations carefully but AA is non-profit and can meet in churches, libraries, restaurants, etc. weight Watchers is for profit so they need to pick more carefully. I think it's nonsense to expose people to the very thing they are trying most to avoid if you can help it but Nemacyst makes a good analogy. How many bars do you have to pass to get to the library? Temptation is everywhere. I'd still move the meeting.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
04/09/16 7:41 am

I've seen where Weight Watchers is right next to a McDonald's or a donut shop. A willpower thing I guess

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
04/07/16 6:00 am

This user is currently being ignored

MrMilkdud
04/07/16 6:00 am

On what legal grounds?
Are alcoholics a legally protected group now, too?