MrsCrayonWax April 7th, 2016 10:45am

Where is the money coming from for Bernie Sanders' "free college?"

thomas12266
04/11/16 8:43 pm

Steal from the rich and give to the poor.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/09/16 1:23 pm

Taxpayers, just like "free" high school. I know, it's a radical concept.

04/09/16 3:08 pm

It's a little different wouldn't you say?

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/09/16 4:52 pm

I don't. A college education is essentially of the same importance as a high school degree in the 40s and 50s. So on the individual, it's of the same importance now as something we've long been paying for.

Societally though, we educate youths not out of a sense of obligation or good will, but due to national interest. IMO, It is very much in our interest to have an educated workforce. I honestly don't see a difference in terms of the both the individual or state interests. Do you?

04/09/16 5:17 pm

I was thinking more in terms of expense. All the excess fat and bloat.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/09/16 7:21 pm

What'd you mean? Are you talking higher education in general or state universities? Keep in mind, we're free to require the public institutions meet any determined thresholds we devise to receive full funding.

04/10/16 12:30 am

I'm thinking public colleges and universities.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
04/10/16 3:22 pm

I suspect there is a lot of bloat in public higher education. Some regions probably have it worse than others, I'm thinking of extracurriculars like sports which take on a life of their own in some places.

But the system can be built from the ground up, we don't need to rely on existing institutions if they aren't going to be suitable for our goals. If our goals are correct, we can set out in making a system similar to how high schools function, if not more efficient. I just want all folks to be able to get educated, and I want our nation to have an educated workforce. That doesn't require a lot of the unnecessary things we associate with higher learning institutions as we currently know them.

musiman28 Cotton country
04/09/16 5:09 am

Out of hard working people's pockets.

CzarCastic
04/07/16 10:48 pm

Basically everyone who's using this app + a few million innocent more hard working Americans.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
04/07/16 8:15 pm

Will be coming from me within a few years.

rons Thanks America
04/07/16 5:55 pm

Your children's piggy bank.

goldz oh this world
04/07/16 5:20 pm

Legalizing drugs and criminal justice reform will save us billions.

04/07/16 5:36 pm

Yes they will but you have to go to the root of the problems as well

rons Thanks America
04/07/16 5:56 pm

I want to smoke what Bernie smokes.

PresWK Minnesota
04/07/16 4:43 pm

The middle class and small business

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/07/16 3:28 pm

Taxes. It's not a mystery lol, I'm surprised you're asking.

04/07/16 5:12 pm

Did you see the video? I know where it's coming from but this Bernie supporting politician couldn't for the life of her explain it. Lol I felt slight sad for her.

liam2013 iowa
04/07/16 12:44 pm

It is coming from the money everyone will save under his universal health plan. So he says.

JudicialJedi321 Please Watch 2000 Mules
04/07/16 12:29 pm

The poor and middle class families that it's supposed to benefit, that's the parodic of socialism, it try's and helps people but only leads to eternal suffering.

Mark3
04/07/16 12:01 pm

...and then finally they came for you.

MrAngerer
04/07/16 10:26 am

The back pockets of the middle class.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
04/07/16 9:40 am

IDK & neither does he. Utopian dreams.

TheCameron UCF
04/07/16 9:21 am

His proposed wall street tax

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
04/07/16 9:07 am

Borrowing more money and raising our taxes!!! Yay!!

allswel Minnesota
04/07/16 9:02 am

While I do not support "free college," I strongly support affordable college.

In 1975, you could pay for tuition at a public university by working 10 hours a week at a minimum wage job. Now it is more than 55 hours, and you still have rent and food to buy as well as to e for school.

I also have an issue with the phrasing of the question. The implication of, "where does the money come from for....." type questions always sets the premise that in order for someone else to get something, you have to get less. This is not a zero sum game.

The GI Bill was probably one of the greatest investments this country ever made. Even though it had high costs, it was one of the larger contributors to the post war boom.

A healthy, educated population is the greatest resource, and investment this country could ever make.

allswel Minnesota
04/07/16 9:03 am

* as well as time for school. ^

04/07/16 9:11 am

I'm more in line with you. Affordable college and better interest rates.

04/07/16 9:12 am

I phrased the question in the same way Chris Matthews did. I would have phrased it differently had I been asking on my own.

allswel Minnesota
04/07/16 3:41 pm

I did not mean the phrasing comment to be directed at you, more at all of us, including myself.

It is the same as the statement, "I am for smaller government." It really doesn't mean anything and does little to contribute to a discussion.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/07/16 8:41 am

In Florida, the lottery was supposed to benefit and help fund education. Originally, "A"students with community service hours received college tuition, books, and fees. Bright Futures now covers less and less of expenses, as lottery money is diverted elsewhere. "Free college" is just another way to gouge money that will later be used for other purposes.

04/07/16 9:14 am

I agree with all above in that college should be more affordable. Interest rates are ridiculously high on government loans. Free college is not feasible and it in some ways devalues the degree imho.

Seneca imbeciles for trump
04/07/16 12:13 pm

Do human beings still inhabit Florida or is it just the reptilian overlords now?

Ritter97 St. Louis, MO
04/07/16 6:32 am

Our pockets, whether we decide to go to college or not.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/07/16 6:10 am

My $15 ($7.50 after taxes, of course) pay check from my minimum wage job

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/07/16 6:10 am

.. per hour

DivineOne MAUMELLE
04/07/16 6:27 am

I feel you

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/07/16 5:54 am

I'm so sick of this. There is free college in Germany and they still have a balanced budget. Why does America want to keep tuition fees? Start spending on education already.
www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 5:57 am

And they have public health care. I don't know what they specifically have, but I know France has a public option, which I think is ideal.

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 5:57 am

Well not ideal, but the best we can get given these circumstances.

kscott516 Revelation 5 6
04/07/16 6:31 am

Because schools cost money to run. The only way to provide it for free is to drastically raise taxes and/or cut spending. Got to get off the "everything should be free" train or it will derail and kill us all.

DivineOne MAUMELLE
04/07/16 7:05 am

Above are the tax rates and college cost for France basically 45% top tax bracket ours is 68% effective tax rate and in both you still have to pay for college. If you want to see our education system fail go ahead and make it free. The answer is give the education system back to the states and cut all government cost out of it. France gets away with having gov run systems because they are the size of a state here in America.

04/07/16 9:16 am

I agree with Kscott.

ronderman North Carolina
04/07/16 2:49 pm

Are American students busting down the doors to get to Germany? Seems like that'd be the case if the German schools were free and superior to American schools?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/07/16 5:51 pm

The problem is the costs of living abroad and that courses usually are in, surprise, German!

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 5:59 pm

For example, I plan on going to university in France

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/07/16 7:33 pm

One more thing about living costs: German colleges usually have no dorms, you don't live on campus but with parents or rent an apartment. Germans get an interest free loan but foreigners should calculate $5,000 per semester rent.

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 7:40 pm

Also true. More benefits are available to natives.

ronderman North Carolina
04/08/16 3:57 am

Which is another reason American universities come with a cost.

ikeurban21 B L C
04/07/16 5:31 am

Even the poor will get a 23% tax increase. He wend send this country to hell

04/07/16 5:12 am

Tuition: does this include books, housing, and a stocked meal card?

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 5:33 am

I'm unsure, I've wondered this myself. I know in France (where I hope to go to school), tuition is very low, and books and stuffs are subsidized because I'd be a student.

04/07/16 6:18 am

I'm surprised Bernie isn't going after the exorbitant hikes in state tuition (which was always supposed to be the more affordable option) and the ridiculous hike in interest rates. For example my first loan was .5 and 1% interest. Now they are 6 and 6.5%.

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 5:09 am

Speculation fee on Wall Street. According to his website, it will cost about 70 billion a year.

ozzy
04/07/16 5:07 am

Right out of your paycheck

ozzy
04/07/16 5:22 am

You will be in for a harsh reality, my friend

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
04/07/16 5:31 am

His intention is to put a speculation fee on Wall Street speculations. But even still, we could cut 70 billion from military spending easily.

ozzy
04/07/16 6:24 am

Whenever they target the rich, the middle class gets hit as well

EPluribusUnum The Midwest
04/07/16 5:00 am

I'm pretty sure a tax on Wall Street billionaires

DivineOne MAUMELLE
04/07/16 5:52 am

Which will be handed down to the production end resulting in a increase in the cost of the product

dawl adulting
04/07/16 4:40 am

Trump should pay for it for making us put up with him.

DivineOne MAUMELLE
04/07/16 4:10 am

The same place all socialist get their money they will raise taxes be it across the board or on the rich The middle and lower class will pay it thru increase in the cost of products they buy. It is the same game they always play. They don't understand that anytime you increase the cost of production the increase is reflected in the cost of product.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/07/16 4:33 am

I want to adopt you as my child.

04/07/16 5:10 am

If Bernie magically won, do you think any of this would ever pass?

DivineOne MAUMELLE
04/07/16 6:07 am

I don't think so would you be willing to take a higher tax increase. The first thing that has to be done to decrease to cost of college is change the laws of tenure there are too many professors that don't even teach and can't because they have been convicted of crimes that set in the teacher lounge and continue to draw a salary with regular raises. Get rid of all of the dead weight and huge salaries of administration staff and then let's see what needs to debate done to make college more affordable. There are many ways to get corporate America involved like increase the tax write off of donations. Or do like the state of Arkansas did we have a lottery all proceeds go to a college fund. And are distributed on a gpa scale.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/07/16 6:40 am

Mrs., If Bernie would prevail, yes eventually. When Dems have the Congress and the White House, they will take action on these crazy ideas. Happened in the first two years of Clinton and Obama that extreme ideas and concepts were pushed through.

DivineOne MAUMELLE
04/07/16 7:20 am

Here is how you put your kids thru college do the same thing I have done I work 168 hrs every two weeks have for 26 yrs. My kids work hard to get good grades my oldest has a 4.0 and just got a full paid scholarship to a four year college she earned just like I earned every dime I will spend on the things that are not paid for. I'm sorry that you can't get something for nothing I'm sorry you have to earn it you will put your best effort forward if you have to pay for the cost of your own failure. This is the land of opportunity not the land of redistribution.