MrMilkdud April 7th, 2016 3:30am

The Giant Pygmy Tortoise exists on one island in the Pacific Ocean. Completely independent of human intervention, a parasite finds its way to the island and, unchecked, may drive them to extinction. Should we intervene or let evolution do its thing?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
04/07/16 8:24 am

I'd say let it go, but some atonement for the other carnage we've wrought would be good for our souls.

Chukar retired police officer
04/07/16 7:42 am

This is a wrong use of the term evolution.

04/07/16 7:48 am

Go see my comment to RJ.

04/07/16 7:51 am

In fact, you may want to make a note to yourself to read through a poll before you try to correct someone.

Chukar retired police officer
04/07/16 5:44 pm

I responded to what the poll asked. It is not a case of evolution. When I answer a poll I put my comment up for my response to the question.

04/07/16 5:47 pm

I'm sorry you struggled to understand the poll. I explained my word choice below. If you have that much trouble with this sort of thing you're better off just not answering the poll at all because this sort of niggling bullshit makes irritates the shit out of people.

04/07/16 5:58 pm

But, since you clearly haven't read my comments below, here's the short version:

1. Natural selection is an evolutionary process.
2. A species that goes through an episode of natural selection and is survived only by a set of members with a particular, persistent trait that gave them an advantage over those that didn't survive can be said to have evolved.
3. "Natural selection" has 17 characters, "evolution has 9 characters, and so "evolution" is the more economical choice when dealing with the poll character limit.
4. Given that natural selection is an evolutionary process, and I assumed people on this app (present company excluded) would be capable of figuring out what I was talking about if I substituted a reference to a part with a reference to the whole, I made the apparently challenging decision to use the word "evolution" instead of "natural selection" to keep from having to reword this poll.

Does that help?

JHawk3205 MD
04/07/16 4:26 am

Couldn't hurt to save some, at least to gather DNA, etc. but there are loads of micro systems in nature that hosts hundreds of different species that completely die out because of small environmental changes elsewhere..

JHawk3205 MD
04/07/16 4:27 am

It happens, it sounds unfortunate, but we should make the best of it by limiting our intervention, but putting forth some kind of effort.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
04/07/16 2:33 am

Likely not worth the energy or effort to save it in the wild, and it's demise is not from human effect, so there's not a strong ethical reason to do it. Attempting to preserve a small population in captivity might be okay, as long as acquisition of the captive individuals is not done in a way that further threatens the species' survival.

garrry Anchorite
04/06/16 10:46 pm

Get copious amounts of DNA samples and do a thorough autopsy once it's dead. Its genetic code or the autopsy may provide valuable data or allow for cloning later. But don't do anything irrational and try to keep the dying thing alive.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
04/06/16 10:37 pm

Survival of the fittest

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
04/06/16 10:38 pm

I'm persistently confused by evolutionist's compulsion to interfere with evolution.

knetzere Illinois
04/06/16 9:33 pm

Sooo.... Regular sized turtles then?

04/06/16 9:42 pm

As I understand it, and I'm not a wildlife biologist, so you'll have to forgive me if I get this wrong, but one of those adjectives refers to their size, the other to their attitude.

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/06/16 8:56 pm

Let nature take its course and then we can pave the entire island with asphalt.

04/06/16 9:12 pm

Lol

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/06/16 8:47 pm

I'm all for preserving nature but trying to protect some species like a snail or tortoise just because it exists is unnecessary. If the animal has no use to us then let nature do it's thing. Nature dosen't care about your feelings and the species will be replaced by another animal, a stronger one. Preserve air, land, water, and culture not wildlife.

badgerben Las Vegas
04/06/16 9:21 pm

Not that I am in favor of interference, but that type of thinking is fairly narrow. An ecosystem relies on all of its parts. To eliminate parts because they aren't "useful" is how the interdependent nature of species falls apart.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/06/16 9:25 pm

I'm not saying that we on purposely destroy it, but rather let nature do what it does.

RJ1969 SoCal
04/06/16 8:45 pm

What's your definition of 'evolution'?

04/06/16 8:50 pm

In this case, most of these tortoises will die, but some may survive that have some sort of natural resistance to the parasite. Those tortoises may reproduce, and over time subsequent generations of tortoises might be less susceptible.
If you play the definition game with me, I'm putting you on ignore.

04/06/16 8:53 pm

And "natural selection" wouldn't fit in the character count, so I went with the word "evolution," and ground my teeth waiting for someone like you to come in and say "that's not exactly what evolution is!"
But natural selection is an evolutionary process, and people understand what the question was asking, so I'm fine with it.

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/06/16 8:58 pm

RJ needs to open a science book and not make milk explain to him basic science.

RJ1969 SoCal
04/06/16 9:04 pm

I just asked a simple question?

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/06/16 9:07 pm

It was simple alright.

04/06/16 9:08 pm

RJ likes to feel like the smartest person in the room, and feels the fastest way to get to that is to point out niggling scientific details that don't really affect the philosophical point of the poll. Laserbeam does the same thing. Maybe it's a California thing. One more reason to never go there.

There really should be a meme for this.
4 cells, "what you think you look like when you point out minutiae," what people think you look like...," what you really look like," and "what your mother thinks you look like."
The first cell would be a picture of NDT in a superman costume, last three cells would be the same picture, in different stages, of a nerdy kid being punched in the face.

04/06/16 9:09 pm

RJ, it wasn't a simple question.
You know what you were going to do.

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/06/16 9:14 pm

It is an elitist pseudo intellectual tactic commonly used by the left.

RJ1969 SoCal
04/06/16 9:31 pm

What is the definition of evolution?

04/06/16 9:33 pm

Goodbye RJ.

04/11/16 1:34 pm

What kind of gold? What karat? How are you buying it and what's the exchange rate? How can RJ possibly understand your comment without those crucial details?
Please try to be a bit clearer with your comments.

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/11/16 4:43 pm

What is the definition of gold?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/06/16 8:38 pm

I'm mostly in favor of saving endangered species, if only in case something about them may one day prove useful to us. Maybe one day we find that they have a gland that produces a substance that cures some forms of cancer or such.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
04/06/16 8:32 pm

Make like Elsa in Frozen and just "let it go, let it go..."