Praetorianus April 6th, 2016 4:22am

What would you spend more time on watching with binoculars: the night sky or wildlife? Alternative suggestions such as sport events or people can be made in comments.

liam2013 iowa
04/06/16 3:08 am

It is too hard to keep steady focus using binoculars at night a good telescope is better. Sports are better seeing the whole field or court without binoculars. Wildlife or bird watching is ok. One thing I won't do is stand holding my cell phone recording an event. I rather keep my attention on what going on than on the phone .

EarlyBird Portland
04/06/16 1:59 am

Is this an "after hours" question? :)

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/06/16 2:26 am

Judging from the post directly below it could be though it wasn't intended to be 😎

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/06/16 1:35 am

Does wildlife include sunbathers? 😂😉

Seneca imbeciles for trump
04/05/16 11:53 pm

I take them out in public and ride the bus. While looking out the window I keep saying the word BIRD every few seconds.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/05/16 11:20 pm

Being legally blind even in my "good" eye, I can no longer use binoculars. But if I could see well again, I'd use a good telescope like the one I just got my son for the night sky, and binoculars or a spotting scope for wild animals and birds.

MediaBlackout Carry on, Carry on.
04/05/16 10:18 pm

I'd buy a telescope if I wanted to look at the stars

susanr Colorado
04/05/16 10:17 pm

Definitely wildlife around here.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/05/16 10:33 pm

Is it more because the wildlife is so interesting in your area, or because light pollution is a problem?

susanr Colorado
04/05/16 11:44 pm

The light pollution isn't too bad where my apartment is, but I'd rather be looking at wildlife, even if it's not too exotic in town (except occasionally). If I'm up in the foothills, the wildlife is great. Light pollution is less there too, but I have access to a telescope up there - although I haven't used it on my own yet.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/05/16 9:26 pm

Even though I'm avidly interested in astronomy, it would be wildlife, birds to be specific. Unless there's a lunar eclipse or a comet, the night sky is beautiful but mostly immutable within a human lifetime while wildlife keeps me focused 😏 longer.

rlands
04/05/16 9:35 pm

Even meteor showers??

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/05/16 9:43 pm

Meteor showers are best watched with the unaided eye. They are too spread out and the meteors too fast to follow with binoculars.