pauldabb85 April 5th, 2016 5:26pm

Your first born child was born an intersex child with the outward appearance of a female and anatomically fit with male genitalia. Would you want the male genitalia removed or would you raise your child the way they are?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/10/16 12:16 pm

I would have a DNA test done to determine the sex of the child, and proceed according to that information.

ronderman North Carolina
04/07/16 3:01 pm

I would follow the advice of my doctor.

susanr Colorado
04/05/16 9:35 pm

No immediate surgery; that earlier practice led to some real disasters. Wait until the child has developed a sense of their own gender, and start working with appropriate medical and mental health professionals.

I have a friend and former coworker who was born intersex, except that she appeared female so it wasn't an issue until she was older. She has XY chromosomes but with a mutation in a gene on the Y chromosome that codes for a testosterone-releasing protein, so full male development didn't happen in the womb.

Fortunately (because she was born before much of this stuff was well known, and before treatment was very well thought out), her apparent female sex at birth matched her female gender as she developed mentally. If her rudimentary testes and lack of a uterus or ovaries had been discovered at birth, there might have been an attempt to surgically transform her into a male - which would have been a huge mistake.

Rosebud Ohio
04/05/16 5:33 pm

My husband and I discussed this. We'd leave them alone and let them make the choice if they so desired later on.

liam2013 iowa
04/05/16 1:20 pm

The correct thing to do is let the child grow and not do any surgery until the.child is in their early teens. At that time or soon the child will let it be known which gender it feels more comfortable with.

m96 Central Florida
04/05/16 1:18 pm

I believe in bodily autonomy. they'll be raised with the pronouns "they" until they can decide otherwise. similarly, their genitalia will remain the same until they can decide otherwise.

CDUBS Dallas, Tx
04/05/16 12:48 pm

Is this what a fruit loop ambush looks like? I'm out

MrsCrayonWax
04/05/16 12:15 pm

I'd like to see what the folks against transgenderism would do in this situation.

susanr Colorado
04/05/16 9:42 pm

My guess would be that they'd push for immediate surgery, such as was done in the past, in most cases. I think it would be very difficult for them to deal with raising a child with indeterminate genitalia and unknown gender - the social uncomfortableness might be really unbearable for them. I feel really sorry for folks who might get stuck with that predicament.

Or maybe, more hopefully, the experience might transform them, allowing them to accept not only the situation of their own child with great grace, but open them to accepting the reality of transgender issues as well - as sometimes happens when a parent strongly opposed to homosexuality
finds themselves faced with a homosexual child. One can hope.

AnarchoComrade Anarchist Federation
04/05/16 11:21 am

I'll let them decide what gender they are
I'm not going to put someone through surgery without consent

IamPriscilla Idaho, USA
04/05/16 10:53 am

No, sugery. I might approve of some hormone therapy to make them look more masculine though.