Shazam April 5th, 2016 3:46pm

Today's Challenge! Name a major US manufacturer publicly traded on the NYSE or NASDAQ that manufactures all their products only in the US! Ready? Set? Go!

04/07/16 5:01 am

Nope. Cat has had mfg plants outside the US since just before or just after WWII. I can't remember which.

Seneca imbeciles for trump
04/06/16 1:07 am

KKKmart. Their sheets are wonderful.

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/06/16 1:37 pm

Wrong, they also trade in the Confederate States of Murica

04/06/16 4:57 am

Private firm, mfg in both US and UK.

fcdrvr
04/05/16 8:53 pm

Snap-on tools are 100% made in the U.S.A.

CDUBS Dallas, Tx
04/07/16 7:58 pm

Wrong, not anymore they aren't. There isn't a hand tool manufacturer that doesn't import from China. If you have hand tools made in the U.S. Hold on to them.

fcdrvr
04/07/16 8:08 pm

Their entry level brand Blue-Point is made in China. But if it says Snap-on it is made in the U.S.

04/06/16 5:02 am

Nope. Calphalon was bought by Newell-Rubbermaid years ago. The majority of NR is made over seas, as is many of the Calphalon products.

Malekithe Hades
04/05/16 8:16 pm

Redwing shoes

Wino I need a drink
04/05/16 9:10 pm

The key is the stock exchange. Gibson, Crayola (owned by Hallmark), Redwing, and Tabasco are all privately owned companies. You might be correct on the others, I don't know much about them.

Malekithe Hades
04/06/16 2:26 am

None are "major" either.
Hard to find any.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/05/16 7:08 pm

isn't there a furniture manufacturer that is 100% USA ?

04/05/16 7:26 pm

Publicly traded? I highly doubt it.

leilu SoCal
04/05/16 5:49 pm

Drew Industries, but they're not a major manufacturer.

leilu SoCal
04/05/16 5:51 pm

Nevermind, they have a plant in Canada.

usaftw123 lolrektville
04/05/16 5:41 pm

Maybe Boeing? Aren't most of their plants down south?

Wino I need a drink
04/05/16 3:45 pm

I've been thinking about this all afternoon. All my favorite American manufacturing companies (All-clad, WeatherTech, and such) are privately held companies. To be fair, when I've read about them, the owners discuss the fact that they couldn't justify what they do (treating employees well, making a good product by using the best materials, and so on) to a board who would be solely concerned about "the bottom line."

cpaswr just say the letters
04/05/16 5:34 pm

I grew up in Bolingbrook where Weathertec has their factory.

Wino I need a drink
04/05/16 6:40 pm

My husband grew up in Joliet, the factory store is on the way to the in-law's (handy because we have messy kids).

04/06/16 5:05 am

WINO - it's really exceptionally hard to do this...maybe impossible. The closest we've come are Snap-on above and Tesla below. I would argue neither could be considered a "major manufacturer," but they may be the best examples we can get.

Wino I need a drink
04/06/16 6:40 am

Those are the only two I've seen so far.

getupbaby South City
04/06/16 9:15 am

Well if you can't trust Lockheed Martin, who CAN you trust?!

stammtheman Mamou
04/05/16 12:44 pm

Weathered auto floor mats
My pillow

stammtheman Mamou
04/05/16 12:45 pm

Weathertec*

Wino I need a drink
04/05/16 3:39 pm

WeatherTech is a private company, not traded on the stock market (at least last time I checked).

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/05/16 12:15 pm

Tesla, for one. Using a Panasonic battery or Continental tires doesn't make the thing foreign.

04/05/16 12:29 pm

ZOD - I thought about Tesla when I wrote this poll, and completely agree they meet every qualifier except "major manufacturer." I looked it up before I posted the poll. They produce about 1K cars per week (~40K/Yr) which is a major milestone. It completely pales though to a firm like Ford that makes +161K/week and about 8 million every year. I really really hope Tesla makes it, and they've done MUCH better than being my gen's Tucker which I honestly thought they would be at launch. They're not in the big leagues yet though and have a long long way to go.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/05/16 12:46 pm

They probably build more cars than Cessna does airplanes, and their cars are sold all over the world. I'll think about it, but if the third largest US automobile manufacturer doesn't qualify as "major", I don't know who might. I think HD probably should qualify too, even though they outsource a LOT of foreign-made parts and assemblies.

04/05/16 12:52 pm

I haven't actually checked, but I believe the list still goes: GM, Ford, Chrysler, but if they've passed Chrysler, that's huge. Of course, Chrysler is also I think still partly owned by Ferrari. I'll have to check on Cessna, but at some point market size also comes into play. In other words, if Cessna builds 30K planes every YT, but has a 60% share of the new small plane market, they're not a huge manufacturer, but are absolutely Goliath's in the industry. Tesla right now I would correctly argue is neither.

04/05/16 12:55 pm

Be that as it may, the fact that we're semi-debating whether a firm that builds less than 45K units per year is the best example of a major US manufacturer that produces everything they make in the US kinda REALLY goes to reinforce the point behind this poll IMHO!

04/05/16 1:02 pm

I looked. Cessnas are mfg in the US, Mexico and China. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/05/16 2:01 pm

The old Chrysler went out of business is now an Italian company with some facilities in the US. The F in FCA is Fiat. They shouldn't be counted as an American manufacturer.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/05/16 2:09 pm

Cessna is still a US company though, and still manufactures aircraft in the US, just as Ford and GM have plants all over the world but also manufacture cars in the US. Maybe we need more precise definitions before hinting for The One.

04/05/16 2:33 pm

Z - I tried to be fairly specific on the qualifications in the Q:
1) major manufacturer
2) publicly traded
3) all products made in the US
4) US Firm

If you'd like to further qualify #1, according to Forbes there are nearly 2,000 firms globally that achieve 10 billion in annual revenue. That's 1/10th the size of Ford (basically monthly rev) to put that number in perspective. How about we say 1/2 that? $5BN annual revenue?

Here's the list of firms making in excess of $10BN if it helps.

www.forbes.com/global2000/list/#page:1_sort:3_direction:asc_search:_filter:All%20industries_filter:All%20countries_filter:All%20states

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/05/16 3:25 pm

I think the problem for me is that I'd be surprised if many of those companies with $10billion or more in annual revenue do it without manufacturing anything outside of their home country. If you limit the pool to companies that have not yet added overseas manufacturing to supplement local capacity, the standard for what qualifies as major has to be adjusted too. And at that point, with all multinationals disqualified, Tesla might be the one.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/05/16 3:28 pm

And Wikipedia reports Tesla revenue at $5billion, although the financial report it links to only shows a little over $4billion for 2015. I don't know where they got the 5.

susanr Colorado
04/05/16 10:27 am

I don't even know how to try to find out for a given company, without more research than I feel like doing.

TheCameron UCF
04/05/16 10:27 am

Facebook? Their products are a digital one, but still produced exclusively in US right?

04/05/16 10:30 am

No manufacturing involved in strictly digital firms. My bet though is that their coding is done at least in part offshore as well.

dominiclandry
04/05/16 9:53 am

Dunder Mifflin

04/05/16 8:49 am

I'd almost be willing to offer a $25 gift card to Chili's to the first person who can come up with one!