LadyA817 DFW area Texas
04/10/16 3:51 pm

Wine! I prefer wine!

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
04/09/16 12:21 pm

I've tried seedless purple and they're not bad. Just not as sweet

tydye
04/08/16 8:24 pm

I don't like grapes but I love wine! That counts right? Lol

LedZeppelinFan1
04/08/16 1:05 pm

Idk why but I just like green ones

hannahbell87
04/08/16 11:08 am

As long as they're fermented I don't care very much.

LoyalOkie E Pluribus Unum
04/08/16 9:27 am

They're white grapes. You have red wine and white wine. There's no green wine

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/08/16 2:57 pm

Grapes and wine are two different things. You can absolutely have green grapes.

cnc123 SUPREME 2016
04/08/16 7:31 am

#greengrapesmatter

CDay007
04/08/16 4:00 am

They all taste the same

gonzoboy Arizona
04/08/16 2:44 am

I like Grape Ape!

ParaguasPato Columbus GA
04/08/16 12:10 am

Who are all these people with this intimate knowledge of grapes? I didn't realize we had so many grape fanatics on SoH! I prefer the green (or "white") grapes since they're normally bigger. I can't taste a difference between the two.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/08/16 7:53 am

Well, I actually am a professional produce clerk, so I actually know what I'm talking about.

EarlyBird Portland
04/07/16 7:16 pm

1. Black
2. Red
3. Green
And Concord are amazing!

ShereKhan A very dark place.
04/09/16 5:22 am

A grape is amazing? I'll make sure to discredit that word if you use it around me

PrinceOberyn Vive LEmpereur
04/07/16 7:13 pm

Trousseau Noir makes an excellent port wine for use in mulled wines. So 'Purple' is my answer.

Philistines.

shygal47 Florida east coast
04/07/16 7:10 pm

Purple? like in Concord grapes? not particularly.
I like red seedless dinner grapes. Once in a while I'll get the green ones if the bags of red ones look like they've been pawed over.

tokala
04/07/16 6:40 pm

Hey, SOH, grapes are white, red or black; not purple or green.

I like the black ones the best.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/07/16 6:40 pm

The odd colored ones are probably gone for making wine or jelly, but all grapes for eating are green. And seedless.

PolskaKrew
04/07/16 6:25 pm

卐 Green Grape Nationalism 卐

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/07/16 6:06 pm

<Condescending sigh>

There are THREE colors of grapes. Red, green, and black. Purple is NOT a grape color.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
04/07/16 6:21 pm

Isn't it black, red, and white grapes?

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/07/16 8:06 pm

I've been a professional produce clerk for 5 years. All of your statements are false and invalid.

susanr Colorado
04/07/16 10:32 pm

What color *are* Concords, then?

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/08/16 5:35 am

Concord grapes are rarely available in the midwest but we categorize them as black grapes. Once again, I have five years of experience as a produce clerk, and all of your statements are invalid and false.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/08/16 6:20 am

I wonder if the colors are regional, because in my 42 years of eating them, the sign in produce section for my favorite grapes always reads, "Thompson White Seedless". 😁

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/08/16 6:50 am

I don't know why some people call them white. Thompson-variety grapes are clearly light green.

susanr Colorado
04/08/16 11:00 am

Many sources list the color of Concords as purple, with some saying dark blue to purple, and others noting that any darker-skinned is referred to as "black" (and yes, that green grapes are referred to as "white").

It certainly doesn't make much sense to call green grapes white, but the general classification of white/black is sort of understandable.

But saying that Concords aren't purple is just as silly to me. They're *some* shade of blue -> purple -> black, and the whitish "bloom" complicates the designation a bit, but not a lot.

I'm sure your 5 years of produce experience counts for a lot, but Concord grapes have been part of *my* life for most of my 69 years - including having them growing in my back yard when I was a child, and growing them myself as an adult. (They're still growing on the fence of the yard where I planted them about 35 years ago, although I no longer live there.)

susanr Colorado
04/08/16 11:03 am

And both of those places, ironically, are in the Midwest (Ohio and Michigan).

I believe they are largely grown in the east, at least (Michigan, New York, eastern Canada), as well as in Washington. I think that *most* of them are probably used for grape jelly and jam. I don't think the season lasts long, and I wonder if maybe they don't travel well. I see them here in Colorado (as in most places where I've lived) for a brief period each summer. I don't think they're any *less* available in the Midwest than anywhere else, though.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
04/08/16 3:04 pm

@ susanr - We sell them as black grapes on the rare occasions in which we carried them.

@ Bama - We sell California grapes in the warmer months and Chilean grapes in the colder months. Although there are numerous vineyards in Iowa, we have never sold Iowan grapes in my grocery store since I started in 2011. Therefore, your source is irrelevant.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/08/16 3:10 pm

I'm curious what store do you work for...most stores in every state that any of us (3 adults) have lived typically source local produce at least to some degree.

susanr Colorado
04/08/16 3:17 pm

I don't know where the Concords come from that are sold in Colorado, but when I see them this summer I'll check the source.

I don't understand selling them "as black grapes," even if you consider them black. Concords are distinctly different than most other grapes sold in the us. People generally either like them or really dislike them, because of the "foxy" flavor if not the slippable skin. And in either case, I would think customers would like to know that that's what they are, to distinguish them from other grapes that actually are pretty black, but don't have those properties.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/08/16 3:22 pm

Regarding the use of the terms white & red, I suspect that it is often done in reference to the white of red juice/wine that it would produce.

My friend noted that it might refer to the color of the meat rather than the skin.

rem1ndz
04/07/16 6:31 pm

<I>lol</I>

TiredofIt Texas
04/07/16 5:47 pm

Green grapes are gross.

MJSeals J.D.
04/07/16 5:37 pm

All Grapes matter.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/07/16 5:37 pm

I call them white, but I prefer green seedless grapes. 😃