PamGH April 4th, 2016 1:49am

TN mother charged with neglect. She's no angel, but does making your children walk to school because they missed the bus sound like neglect? She was driving slowly ahead of them. 3.5 miles, it was cold, mother had no drivers license.

professorwho Madness and Genius
04/05/16 8:45 am

She's no angel but she's definitely a dumbass.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
04/04/16 9:50 am

I remember reading that article and thinking "what did she do wrong?"

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 12:12 pm

Perhaps she should've walked with them. How is the elder doing that was in the bombing?

Okie1967 The world is crazy
04/04/16 12:55 pm

I don't know. I haven't been keeping up with it. Too much of a downer for me to focus on.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 3:20 pm

I can see that. How many days till your son comes home? I thought perhaps in your worship meetings they might've said something.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
04/04/16 3:27 pm

We leave tomorrow morning to go get him.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 4:53 pm

Prayers for a safe trip. Lots of hugs.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 9:38 am

Answers are a little confusing to me. Good for the mom. Kids need to learn to be responsible. My oldest son was kicked off the school bus because he was a little pill. So he walked. He sort of learned.

susanr Colorado
04/04/16 10:22 am

Tops, according to two news stories, the children were walking on the white line on the right side of the road, in heavy traffic. Both of them were under 10 years old. As Maj pointed out below, that means there wasn't a sidewalk, so they were on a highway and *almost* in the traffic lane. Little kids, walking 3-1/2 miles like that.

I don't think it's the "make them walk to school" part that has people concerned (both here, and the deputies on the scene), but the issue of safety.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 12:11 pm

Thank you Susan, I didn't read the whole thing. If they had to walk she should have walked with them. Exposing kids to heavy traffic would be dangerous. Not to mention kidnappers.

susanr Colorado
04/04/16 12:33 pm

She was ahead of them in her car, but apparently would drive a while, then stop on the side of the road and wait for them to catch up. The article said she was far enough ahead of them that she wouldn't have been much help in an emergency.

Not to mention that she doesn't have a driver's license and shouldn't have been on the road anyway. I agree that if she was going to make them walk, she should have walked with them, under the circumstances.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 12:45 pm

Broke a few laws there.

donkong Hanoverian
04/04/16 9:16 am

She did everything right except she should have walked behind them instead of drive w/o a license

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
04/04/16 8:20 am

This story is everything I thin about when I hear "Tennessee".

corino Utah
04/04/16 8:15 am

That's not even the main story. What about when the husband shows up and starts a fight with the cops!

susanr Colorado
04/04/16 10:23 am

True, plus the bit about the mom driving the car without a license. But it was the grandfather, not the husband, who tussles with the cops.

jlong105 Indiana
04/04/16 4:53 am

The mother should have walked with them since she does not have a license. Not drive ahead. And for God's sake keep the kids off the highway.

Maj Worth Economist
04/03/16 10:40 pm

www.inquisitr.com/2954614/tennessee-mom-faces-child-neglect-charges-after-making-children-walk-to-school-behind-her-car-after-they-miss-the-bus/

The girls were both under the age of 10. If they're walking the fog line, that means there's no sidewalk, and on a highway... That's a no go as far as I'm concerned. And three and a half miles! That's a bit much.

I get that the mom was trying to show the girls the consequences of their actions, but she did so in the most stupid way. And she did so while driving without a freaking license. On a highway. Going slowly. In morning traffic.

If you're going to drive to school, Ms. Mom, make sure your girls get there in a reasonable period of time because they're supposed to be in class. Find another punishment. Make them walk to the store, or someplace closer. Make them wake up earlier so they have more time in the morning. Make them go to bed earlier so they're better rested. What you did was not wise.

firefly5 the verse
04/04/16 12:09 am

Agreed. This is clearly endangering the kids.

commonman1 Peace
04/04/16 11:25 am

Got to be kidding. The officer was totally wrong and should be condemned for his nanny actions. Let parents parent. Everyone else be quite.

firefly5 the verse
04/04/16 11:49 am

Parenting isn't all discipline. If you're not looking out for the safety of your kids, that's not parenting.

firefly5 the verse
04/05/16 5:31 pm

I'm not saying don't let anything happen to them. I'm not sure just where the line is, but it's on this side of young kids walking down a busy highway.

commonman1 Peace
04/05/16 5:34 pm

Let me judge your parenting skills. Do you think I can be critical. I can. At least they were being parented.

firefly5 the verse
04/05/16 5:38 pm

Judge away. I always welcome advice.

susanr Colorado
04/03/16 7:08 pm

From the article, it didn't sound like just the fact that they were walking to school was the main issue (although I'd like to know what the kids' ages are; 3.5 miles is a long walk for a little kid), but they were walking on the "fog line" in heavy traffic, with the mother "in no position to reach her children safely in the event of an emergency."

Sounds like something kids shouldn't be subjected to.