joesoup April 4th, 2016 12:07am

Are you aware that there is no law that separates church and state?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/03/16 9:18 pm

Just noticed your new (?) logo. Are you a UMC pastor, Joe? I went to a UMC grad school for my Master's, but the church left me years ago theologically. The Social stands of the church became appalling. How do you handle it?

joesoup
04/03/16 9:25 pm

It's not the church I follow its Gods word and no I just attend it

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/03/16 9:29 pm

I thought you were a pastor! Is the Good News movement still active in the UMC?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/03/16 10:14 pm

And don't get me wrong - I still respect John Wesley's theology and love Charles Wesley's hymns. I just couldn't stand it when the social liberals started setting church policy and deciding what my tithes would support, funding things contrary to what Jesus taught.

jvc1133 61535
04/03/16 7:37 pm

Yeah, Jesus, had a comment on that, been ignored on occasion.

musiman28 Cotton country
04/03/16 7:26 pm

Exactly. The only law (which some below are erroneously using trying to say you're wrong) is the first amendment which only prohibits the creation of a national religion or keeping people from exercising their religion.

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
04/03/16 6:26 pm

The First Amendment and Article 6 of the Constitution are accepted as sufficient barriers to the church's influence in the State and vice versa.

kscott516 Masks fail
04/04/16 6:20 am

False. It only goes one way: permitting the freedom of religion. It restricts the state only.

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
04/04/16 10:15 am

It's supposed to restrict the Church from interfering with the State so that laws aren't tailored toward any religion or against any religion, but it's also supposed to prevent the State from interfering with the Church, except in matters where it counts. For example, a priest doesn't have to officiate a homosexual marriage, but a business owner shouldn't be able to not provide a service to someone because they're gay.

kscott516 Masks fail
04/04/16 11:50 am

It prevents the State from forcing a specific religion or preventing anyone from observing their religion, outside of physically hurting others. It is not/was not meant to force business owners to provide a product or service that goes against their deeply held religious beliefs. Anti-discrimination laws were meant to be that they must serve gays but do not have to provide for a gay wedding.

joesoup
04/03/16 5:21 pm

Actually Ben Franklin said it about us being able to practice the religion they want

sydwel
04/03/16 5:20 pm

Implicit concept from the First Amendment.

joesoup
04/03/16 5:16 pm

I'm sure slot of people don't know

Odysseus We All Need A Fantasy
04/03/16 5:10 pm

Yes, no law just common sense. Look at the theocracies around the world. Why would we ever want to go there.

cpaswr just say the letters
04/03/16 5:10 pm

Just like there is no law mandating a national religion.

joesoup
04/06/16 10:58 am

And there should be one to have religions treated the same to an extent