PamGH April 3rd, 2016 10:44pm

Link shows how many states require a license to practice a trade, costs, and educational time. Take a peek at the list and let me know which one you find the most ridiculous.

jmw7477 Indiana
04/03/16 6:17 pm

There's a lot involved in these professions. You know what you have to do before you enter them. If it's not worth it to you, then don't do it. Don't belittle someone else that's done it.

CMD1973 Oxford iowa
04/03/16 5:25 pm

None. I am not going to disrespect the occupation of people who may not have had the opportunities I have had, and jobs I don't pretend to know everything about based on a title.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/03/16 4:08 pm

It may be good intentions but I don't have any confidence the licensing really makes us safer.

susanr Colorado
04/03/16 3:52 pm

I don't think I have a problem with any of them. All of them are in professions where, without proper training, they could cause harm to themselves, and/or others, or do shoddy work that could cause physical or financial harm at a later point.

Think it's silly for a "shampooer" to be licensed? Just for starters, do you know it's possible to cause a customer to have a life-threatening stroke if you do it wrong?

Rosebud Ohio
04/03/16 3:59 pm

Thank you Susan. 👏

Glad I'm not the only one who finds this aversion short sighted.

susanr Colorado
04/03/16 4:06 pm

I think of all the chemicals used (or potentially used), some of the techniques that can do bad things to hair, and I'm just not opposed to having people who do that to other people's bodies *trained* and *licensed.* Maybe not as long a training as mentioned in another poll (I saw this one first), and I'd like to see *reasonable* license fees, but I support the principle.

CMD1973 Oxford iowa
04/03/16 5:28 pm

there is a lot more involved to the job of shampooer than is indicated in its name.

Maj Worth Economist
04/03/16 10:53 pm

Am I the only one kinda peeved by the phrase "lose [X] days to training"? As though being trained and educated in what you're about to do for people every day is a waste of time... That just irked me so much.

susanr Colorado
04/03/16 11:04 pm

I missed that. (I mostly just looked at the list.) The phrase "lost to education" appears there too. Equally galling.

Rosebud Ohio
04/04/16 6:42 am

I missed it. I agree Maj. Learning and training aren't wasted time.