VirtualCongress April 3rd, 2016 10:05pm

ndull proposes Blue Lives Matter Act of 2016

MrJonahSmith
04/04/16 8:49 am

After reading some comments, I changed my vote to nay.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
04/04/16 2:18 am

I dont approve of Hate Crime laws.

Over 50% of the males in my Family are Cops, so its not as though I nor they wouldn't have a vested interest in added protection for Police Officers.

But I believe in punishing the crime, not the motivation behind it.

Hate Crime laws already complicate court cases when they are used. It would be better to do away with them all together.

corino Utah
04/03/16 7:51 pm

Why don't we just make everyone a protected class?

16jcassidy VC Vice Speaker
04/03/16 4:42 pm

Absolutely not. We already have higher punishment for assault and murder of police officers. I'm afraid this will make it to easy to frame people or convict a person if they were acting in rightful self defense. Im not a huge fan of hate crimes in the first place but this is just way to much, cops already have power because of the relationships they have with prosecutors and each other. People don't seek out cops to assault or kill them, cops are killed or assaulted most often in desperation or wrongful self defense by the criminal, not because they are a cop but because they just happen to be shooting at them or trying to detain them. The criminal would be assaulting or killing anyone who would try to detain them. These offenders are given the rightful punishment of a federal felony and are often put in jail for life or put to death.

ndull Minnesota
04/03/16 7:27 pm

Really? People don't set out or seek to kill cops? So those to NYC cops killed last year and the attempted assassination in Philadelphia earlier this year were not targeted? You're a fool if you don't think police have a target on their back.

16jcassidy VC Vice Speaker
04/03/16 8:25 pm

The philly case was terrorism and if your referring to the Eric Gardner revenge deaths then that was a very unfortunate repercussion from mistakes made by cops and our legal system, not bias that is a result of something the victim cannot control. Obviously cops have a target on there back that's why we have much harsher punishments for cop killers and assaulters but using the term "hate crime" is the wrong term. We use the hate crime term to protect people from extreme biases that don't come from a specific event like revenge. Also If you don't like the existence of hate crimes you shouldn't make the term more prevalent. I will say as well that the federal government has never been in charge of defining Hate Crime laws meaning that the only federally defined hate crime protects a group that is mainly comprised of white males which is obviously very backwards.

ndull Minnesota
04/03/16 8:29 pm

Are you out of your mind? It was a premeditated murder of two officers going about protecting and serving. The fact that you are trying to dismiss it as anything else just shows you no nothing about the true climate police officers face today. "Pigs In a blanket, fry Em like bacon" "what do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!"

16jcassidy VC Vice Speaker
04/03/16 8:47 pm

Police shooting deaths were down 16% last year and the year before.

16jcassidy VC Vice Speaker
04/03/16 8:51 pm

However in other news the number of people killed by police are on a steady incline. In the last decade more people have been killed by police than were killed in Iraq. But I'm glad we are focusing on the real issues here in the VC.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/03/16 4:33 pm

Agree with it, but we should need a law like this, so voting no

SouthernLaw Old North State
04/03/16 4:14 pm

Strong YEA! A better solution would be to get rid of "hate crimes" all together, but this is definitely a good start.

goldz oh this world
04/03/16 3:57 pm

I'm not sure who this would help, and I'm scared it will be used to prosecute people who attempt to defend themselves from police officers.

goldz oh this world
04/03/16 4:19 pm

Well it's one thing to be accused of assault and another thing to be accused of a hate crime.

ndull Minnesota
04/03/16 4:24 pm

Right. You'd only be prosecuted if you intentionally targeted an officer

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
04/04/16 2:11 am

How would you prove that, aside from the dummies that write "Im going to target the po-po" on twitter??

Liberty 4,032,064
04/03/16 3:22 pm

Nay. This bill attempts to criminalize motive rather than action and further elevates government employees as a separate and higher class of citizen.

ndull Minnesota
04/03/16 3:30 pm

This code also criminalizes motive rather than action with other citizens.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/03/16 3:48 pm

ndull, that is why I oppose it as stated above

Chimama, insomuch as such laws criminalize thoughts rather than actions, yes.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/03/16 7:23 pm

No and no.

1) "Conspiracy to commit [X]" is an often abused charge that does have a legitimate implementation. No one insinuated that anyone should wait until the victim is dead other than you, so that's an odd question to ask.

Liberty 4,032,064
04/03/16 7:26 pm

2) I do not complain that the police only show up after the fact. That's their primary function: to find and arrest the assailant. That they show up after the fact is not a complaint in the least, but a mere recognition of reality that they don't exist to protect you and that protection of your person and property is a personal duty rather than one to expect from others.

political Georgia
04/03/16 3:12 pm

Nay - I don't oppose the sentiment of this bill. I oppose the concept of having hate crimes. Most crimes are hateful.

ndull Minnesota
04/03/16 3:14 pm

I agree

MrJonahSmith
04/03/16 3:15 pm

I agree with what your saying but if were going to have hate crimes, this should be included. I'm going to submit a bill that eliminates hate crimes.

political Georgia
04/03/16 3:20 pm

Not a terrible point, Jonah. However, I just can't get behind adding another special group.

political Georgia
04/03/16 3:33 pm

I don't believe in doing unto others as they would do unto you. While it would be somewhat funny, I'm going to stick to being consistent and fair. I look forward to Jonah's bill.

MrJonahSmith
04/03/16 3:09 pm

Yes we need some more respect for the police officers in our country.

VirtualCongress Speaker NDAmerican
04/03/16 3:08 pm

I have been getting some messages about bills not being posted yet. I will go through the docket and Virtual Congress profile to make sure I haven't missed anything. So no need to worry!

VirtualCongress Speaker NDAmerican
04/03/16 3:06 pm

Secretary of Defense proposes Blue Lives Matter Act of 2016

VirtualCongress Speaker NDAmerican
04/03/16 3:05 pm

Summary: Makes it a hate crime to target law enforcement officers

VirtualCongress Speaker NDAmerican
04/03/16 3:06 pm

A BILL TO AMEND 18 UNITED STATES CODE § 249 - HATE CRIME LAWS

Section 1: Any premeditated or target attack on a law enforcement officer, including municipal, state or federal, because they are a law enforcement officer is hereby declared a Hate Crime and the attacker shall be prosecuted as such.

Section 2: "Attack" as defined in Section 1 is an unlawful act, be it by hand, explosive, firearm, or any other type of device which is designed to inflict bodily harm.