JustBob April 3rd, 2016 7:03pm

Paul has been paying child support for his 8yo girl. Her acting career has taken off, earning her the lead role in a sitcom, and $70k / yr. Paul is asking to stop support payments and Mom is fighting it. You're the Judge, should he continue to pay?

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
04/07/16 10:07 pm

In Oregon, the father would have a case to have his child support reduced if the mother was using the child's income as a resource for paying living expenses. However, if the child's income was being put in a trust, then the father would still need to pay.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/05/16 3:22 am

He continues to pay.

The child's income is immaterial.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/04/16 9:43 am

Yes he should. The daughters money should go totally into a trust account so neither mommy nor daddy can get their hands on it. Anything the only thing it should be used for now would be security for her and clothing and stuff like that. By clothing I mean for appearances and things.

timeout Boston Strong
04/04/16 6:03 am

I think he should and the money earned by her should go into an account for her when she gets of age.

Brrrrrrrrr
04/04/16 1:16 am

Long after life on earth has ended, if some alien species arrived and started reading through our family court documents, they'll mistakenly think that humans enjoyed writing plays about miserable vindictive she-devils.

lorraineruth Bozeman
04/04/16 12:51 am

If he wants rights to his daughter then yes. You can't "raise" a child and not have financial responsibility at the same time. If he wishes to have nothing to do with the child, then I think he shouldn't have to pay anymore

tech24073
04/03/16 9:53 pm

Depends on the situation. Who left who and why? Details impact many decisions.

logicalphallus Minnesota
04/03/16 8:31 pm

As long as the child is considered a dependent, I think the parent would still have to pay child support.

For instance, if my hypothetical ex-wife is a multi-millionaire and I'm a fast food worker, she can still make me pay child support, can't she? (whether or not it's ethical for her to do so is another matter)

I'll admit to not knowing how a child's income is handled when said child is still so young.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
04/07/16 9:51 pm

In Oregon, the multi-millionaire wife would likely have to pay child support to the fast food worker father if he had regular visitation.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/03/16 8:17 pm

Yes. As long as he gets his share of the revenue.

PresWK Minnesota
04/03/16 8:02 pm

Child support shouldn't exist in the first place, people shouldn't have to pay for children they don't get custody of. If the parent can't afford to raise the child they can give custody to the other parent or put them up for adoption.

commonsense America isnt racist
04/03/16 6:47 pm

I think the parents get a certain % of that amount for room and board to help pay for the child. The rest goes into a special account until they are 18. So depending on that percentage id say no.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
04/03/16 4:06 pm

70k a year should be put away for her and Paul should keep paying

SpecialJ Illinois
04/03/16 3:35 pm

Well 70k means her needs are met, child support is unnecessary. The whole point is so kids aren't raised on a single parent's salary.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/03/16 1:53 pm

No. He has probably paid more than enough at this point already

rons screw politicians
04/03/16 1:43 pm

Should be banked for her future drug habit.

jmw7477 Indiana
04/03/16 1:33 pm

He helped to make that child. If he's a part of her life, then he needs to be a part in every way.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/03/16 12:50 pm

Not sure why he's paying it in the first place, so I can't really say

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 12:52 pm

Court order to meet the needs of the child

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/03/16 2:41 pm

But I don't know why he isn't there

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/03/16 12:22 pm

He's paying his half of support for the kid. That the kid has a job and earns a little money, whether from mowing lawns or by being an actress has nothing to do with it. Some parents might, but I don't think they should be spending the kid's money to cover their parental obligations.

screename1 Washington State
04/03/16 2:08 pm

I totally agree.

rlands
04/03/16 12:14 pm

Probably not, but if that situation changes perhaps he should once her income runs out.

rlands
04/03/16 12:16 pm

Wait actually idk. How does that even work? Does her mom get that money so she can manage it? If so I stand by my original comment. Otherwise idk cuz the child support is really to the mom for taking care of the girl - not for the daughter herself, right?

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
04/03/16 12:04 pm

When said Paul I thought you were reffering to Rand Paul at first.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 12:06 pm

This new feature is sweet! I can comment without voting:)

Luftwaffe South of Heaven