Praetorianus April 3rd, 2016 3:38am

If a war refugee doesn't respect the culture of the host country, he shouldn't be taken in just because he's in danger in his home country.

Highlander1 Iowa
04/04/16 6:48 am

If this is like a hidden message with Germany "respecting German culture" and raping women is not the same thing.

lorraineruth Bozeman
04/04/16 12:58 am

The host country reserves the right to treat refugees the way they treat their own citizens. As a refugee you are a guest, and guests should uphold the host's rules.

PresWK Minnesota
04/03/16 7:51 pm

Not necessarily the culture, rather the laws and people of the country

Ellock Perpetually Tired
04/03/16 7:23 pm

Yes but it's tricky. Because on one hand country A isn't responsible for country B or country B's citizens. So A doesn't HAVE to let anyone in (I know it's not that clean and some laws dictate that yes. You do have to let them in) so if A decides that's a rule, then the people from B have to deal with that and either obey it or stay in B. However I also see how it's hard to define "respect" for their culture and it's a subjective thing so it could be a slippery slope.

liam2013 iowa
04/03/16 9:01 am

Many US citizens constantly disrespect the culture of other countries. Should this mean all of us should be banned from foreign travel.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
04/03/16 5:26 am

The latter part is true regardless of your opinion on the former.

Odysseus We All Need A Fantasy
04/03/16 3:45 am

Agree, but the host country needs to understand the difference between respecting a culture and adapting to that culture. It takes a generation or two to adapt fully to a totally different culture.

Wackacrat Harford County
04/03/16 3:18 am

Our house, our rules.

suppressedID science is in the way
04/02/16 10:13 pm

Anyone why would say yes is just looking to feel good about themselves.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/02/16 10:08 pm

Granted, my experience was with Bosnian refugees. To a person, they would have preferred to have never been forced from their homes. While they were appreciative of American hospitality, they wanted to return to Europe, but being brought to America made this more difficult.

Throwaway77
04/02/16 10:04 pm

That's a slippery slope. Kinda sounds like if an American doesn't "respect" American culture or doesn't agree with or criticizes the current Government they should also be exiled...

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 10:08 pm

It's difficult to word but see my explanations below. I was mostly thinking about the "respect" that a house guest should show the owner of the house, NOT acceptance or agreement.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/02/16 9:18 pm

Absolutely agree.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 9:45 pm

While I expected some differences in the party filter, I'm amazed how clear cut it is.

sydwel
04/02/16 9:08 pm

As long as no one is hurting anyone, I don't really care. What does respecting a culture look like anyway? That's way too subjective. There are native citizens who don't respect aspects of US culture. I don't like every part of what I see as US culture.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 9:38 pm

It's okay if it stays in your mind but see my explanations below.

sydwel
04/02/16 9:53 pm

Well yes, violent crime should be unacceptable. I think that goes beyond simple lack of respect.

Luftwaffe Libs are the intolerant
04/02/16 9:06 pm

You come to our country, you respect our culture and ways of doing things. I'd expect the same when I visit other countries. You should be grateful you're out of danger, that's all the benefits you deserve.

LeftLibertarian Makeshift Dorm
04/02/16 8:54 pm

If they aren't violent they can want me to go to hell for all I care

TheCameron UCF
04/02/16 8:49 pm

"doesn't respect the culture of the host country" What the fuck does that mean? It sounds a lot like thought policing, to me.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 9:06 pm

I was mainly thinking of Syrian refugees calling the Germans "pork eating outsiders nobody would miss" and inciting violence including rape. If you don't respect a culture, it often won't just stay in your mind. People will get disruptive.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 9:37 pm

Suppose I'm a buddy who just lost his home in a hurricane. You agree I can bunk with you for some time. I criticize your apartment, your cuisine, your religion. I light up a fat cigar. You say I shouldn't smoke. I say "who cares." Are we fine 😹

TheCameron UCF
04/02/16 10:41 pm

If someone breaks the laws of a country they should be punished accordingly and justly, but the notion, that refugees who come to a new country and say "the food sucks here", which is comparable to "disrepecting the culture", should be kicked out is ridiculous.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/03/16 6:17 am

Agreed. There's a difference between respecting the culture and respecting the people. I'm not a fan of American culture. But I respect Americans.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 8:43 pm

Looks evident to me. Some may think "any port in a storm" but if you are a guest somewhere after escaping a war zone, count your blessings and behave civilly. If you don't like the culture of your host country, don't complain if they reject you.