ronderman April 3rd, 2016 1:52am

A former Uber employee has just created a new rider service that only hires female drivers and will only pick up female riders. Is this a great idea for the safety of women or is it blatant discrimination?

bnnt Los Angeles
04/06/16 11:18 pm

If there's a market for it, more power to them.

scomichekavi
04/04/16 6:10 pm

I think it was MEANT to be for safety. But it may change.

Ellock Perpetually Tired
04/04/16 5:11 pm

Because there's no such thing as a woman predator that will hurt a woman.

Honestly I don't really care. Go for it. If it makes you feel safer go ahead. But don't be delusional and think everyone is out to get you and you need an umbrella of protection.
Statistically you are more likely to be assaulted by a stranger IF YOU ARE A GUY. Most of the time the woman knows the guy that assaults her.
But if it makes you feel safer, that's important too, so go for it, I don't think it's discriminating.

Highlander1 Iowa
04/04/16 6:50 am

Because all men are threats to women's lives?

ronderman North Carolina
04/04/16 9:35 am

No, but the ones shay are a threat don't wear tee shirts stating that they are a danger.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/04/16 6:43 am

it does not bother me, but I am not sure how sustainable that it will be.

ConservativeCA Joe Biden is barely alive
04/03/16 9:44 pm

Lol, imagine if a man did this for only men. He would probably be imprisoned and receive death threats from feminists.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/04/16 6:35 am

or not.
It is more likely that men who utilized the service would be mocked and the service derided by other men.

PresWK Minnesota
04/03/16 8:10 pm

If a man did something like this for just men feminists would claim it was the "patriarchy" and that it is just a "boy's club"

SpecialJ Illinois
04/03/16 3:43 pm

It's statistically supported discrimination, just like how teenage girls can't have male doctors for their examinations involving private parts.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:47 pm

Uh, I did as a teen. Do you have a cite? I hadnt heard of that.

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/03/16 3:34 pm

Just females or females and males that identify as females?

willow
04/03/16 3:18 pm

I would use this service.

I feel uncomfortable being alone with a man in any circumstance (besides my hubby). Stranger, friend, or family. At home, in a car, in an office at work.

What is the harm in allowing people with a preference to choose?

SpecialJ Illinois
04/03/16 3:41 pm

You have a problem if you're afraid to be alone with male friends. Either you have the wrong friends or you have a psychological problem.

willow
04/03/16 5:32 pm

I just feel like it's inappropriate when there are alternate options available.

Obviously, there are some things that can't be avoided. But given the option of having a female driver, I would take it.

ronderman North Carolina
04/03/16 6:54 pm

Special, I wouldn't call it a problem. I would call it being cautious and having guardrails. As a husband, I wouldn't want my wife to be comfortable with strange men alone or with male friends alone if it can be avoided.

I will not be alone with a woman if it can be avoided. If it can't be avoided, I will call or text my wife to let her know. It's just the wise thing to do.

Mark3
04/05/16 7:10 am

Indeed, willow. People should be free to choose.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 1:26 pm

Discrimination based on the stereotype that men are dangerous. I don't understand how people change the definition of discrimination to make it more palatable when they decide to act that way, instead of proudly announcing "you're damn right I discriminate based on gender"

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:25 pm

Its not really a stereotype. Most men arent dangerous- but most people who are dangerous to women are men. These same men generally dont behave this way to other men. Its a matter of preventing a bad situation from happening. Discrimination isnt always bad, though it can be used in bad ways.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:35 pm

I think To be considered a stereotype it doesn't have to suggest that most men are dangerous, just has to suggest that they have a greater propensity over women to be violent to be a stereotype. Frankly I don't see the difference in this and saying I only give rides to people in suits

think4yourself Not a safe space
04/03/16 3:35 pm

Typical double standard.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:36 pm

Because people wearing hoodies are more likely to rob me.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:37 pm

People in suits arent more likely to assault you. This wasnt created for no reason.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:38 pm

People wearing hoodies are more likely to rob me than people wearing suits, should I be allowed to discriminate to be safe and not offer the hoodie a ride?

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:39 pm

I doubt there are formal statistics on that one.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:41 pm

Is it ok to discriminate based on statistics?

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:44 pm

Imo yeah. My safety isnt worth avoiding stepping on feelings. And there are businesses that discriminate based on dress- many high end stores and restaurants do and no one is complaining.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:44 pm

And discrimination "used in bad ways" is really suggestive. I for one would be bummed if I were denied a ride because I might be a rapist

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:46 pm

Again, a woman being proactive about her safety is gonna step on some feelings, yours included. Luckily there are other services you could get a ride from. Interesting we constantly tell women to be vigilant about their safety but then get upset when they start acting on it.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:48 pm

This poll question reminds me a lot of Lenny Kravitz song "Mr Cab Driver" but I understand the cab driver turned down Lenny because he was concerned for his own safety

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:50 pm

Ha, I havent heard that one.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:57 pm

You should really listen to it, the part where he says "Mr Cab driver don't like dreds he thinks we're all crooks" really reminded me. And don't get me wrong, had the question been "should a driver service be allowed to discriminate based on gender?" I would've answered "hell yes!"

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 3:59 pm

Because I don't think the government should be making business decisions for companies

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 4:08 pm

They have to walk the line between giving businesses freedom and making sure everyone has access to services like this, not a position I envy. Dreads dont have any kind of statistical link to violence, but if formal dress is allowed why not this. Seems unreasonable imo, but a lot of legal things do.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 4:12 pm

Probably looking out for his own safety, who knows, maybe personal experience with someone without dreads, either way it's discrimination, seen as a "good way" by one and a "bad way" by another, as all discrimination seems to be seen

CyanEide
04/03/16 1:19 pm

Technically, it is discrimination, but it's probably a good idea

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 7:31 am

Safety. Ivehad too many creepy encounters with male cab drivers, including one who watched me get raped. Id be way more likely to use this.

missmorganmarie ...
04/03/16 12:28 pm

wow. that's terrible πŸ’œ

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 3:22 pm

And the worst thing is that this behavior wont show up in a background check if the guy is good at getting away with it. Appreciate the support❀️

GingaNinja43 Indiana
04/03/16 7:02 am

Hmmmm...I thought democrats were against discrimination.

Mark3
04/03/16 6:03 am

Does anyone not discriminate, and often?

alkie New York
04/03/16 5:50 am

Discrimination, but I don't have a problem with it.

Mark3
04/03/16 6:02 am

Yup. There's lots of it. I pick wild mushrooms, and if I didn't discriminate, I'd be dead very quickly.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
04/03/16 5:15 pm

Mark: I get it.

If I want a good installer it's a tall, strong, healthy person, probably male? If I want a baby sitter it's somebody that loves kids -probably a female.

If I want somebody to work in people's homes occasionally alone or alone with a female client then I better discriminate for everybody's safety.

It's dumb not to discriminate when needed.
It's just ironic when it is endorsed by those that normally oppose it.

They don't get it.

Mark3
04/04/16 4:02 am

Well said.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
04/03/16 1:19 am

The intention is safety, but it is definitely discriminatory. Rather, they should do a background check on drivers

Wino I need a drink
04/03/16 11:19 am

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

swervin Maryland
04/02/16 11:47 pm

It's a great idea and it is discrimination. I agree that any business should be able to serve and hire/fire whoever they want.

catpillow Florida West Coast
04/02/16 10:19 pm

I understand it, but it's still discrimination.

Mark3
04/03/16 4:00 am

Anything wrong with that discrimination?

Paulverizer
04/02/16 10:05 pm

...I mean isn't this both? We discriminate against others who we feel threatened by, so this service creates a safe space for women (which I support) by excluding men from their environments, which is of course assuming only men sexually assault women but if you look at stats that is mostly the case. That assumption is discriminatory, but hell you can't have perfect safety so I guess it's better to have some sense of security when you're being driven home than worry about little things like broad based stereotypes but whatever floats your boat

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
04/02/16 9:40 pm

Until someone says "they identify as female" and are denied either a job or ride, sue and the whole thing goes away.

More of a liability waiting to happen than an asset as a company in my eye.

MrsCzarCastic
04/02/16 9:09 pm

While there are still a few kinks to be worked out (i.e. no ride for boys over 13), I think the idea of an all-female driving team is a good one. I see a lot of males commenting that this isn't a good idea. While some women are definitely psychos, I think a lot of women would feel more comfortable being driven home after a night of drinking with another woman behind the wheel. I am in no way saying that all men are sexual predators out to rape every woman they see. But having a female driver would definitely increase my comfort level with being driven by a stranger, especially if I were alone or with a couple of my girlfriends.

MrsCzarCastic
04/02/16 9:12 pm

Girlfriends. Not sure why that got cut off.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
04/02/16 9:42 pm

Didn't take you for the 4:30 Chip strip!

MrsCzarCastic
04/02/16 9:51 pm

Yeah, I don't know what that means. Sorry.

MrsCzarCastic
04/03/16 7:59 am

I am by no means a partier, but I would prefer a female driver, especially if I had been drinking and my husband was not with me.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:07 pm

It's discrimination, and they should have every right to do it.
I don't think it's a smart idea, though, because I'm much more likely to carjack a car with a couple of women in it than a car with a couple of guys in it.

Also, If some rapist is in a rapey mood, this is an easy way for him to find a victim.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/02/16 8:19 pm

I think it's stupid from a business perspective as well.

They're effectively refusing to serve 50% of potential clientele and they're going to find it especially difficult to find a female labor force when the car driving labor market is almost completely saturated with males.

So you'll have low quality drivers relative to Uber and Lyft AND you'll be dealing with lawsuits while refusing to serve 50% of the market.

I can't imagine this actually taking off.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:25 pm

As far as being a good business idea, I don't think servicing the entire population is necessarily a requirement for running a good business.
There are numerous successful businesses and business models that target a very specific group, and don't worry about appealing to other groups.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/02/16 8:38 pm

While I agree in principle, this company's business strategy is markedly different.

They aren't just marketing to women, they're excluding men. They're creating constraints.

For example, consider a situation where a husband and a wife just finished a nice meal and want to get home. The wife may be able to use this company's app, but the husband cannot.

Due to the fact that they want to travel together, they will likely forgo the use of this service in favor of a more inclusive app.

A strategy like this may have worked we were selling tampons or shampoo, but this is a business that benefits from pooling, from involving members of both sexes in car. Excluding one sex will lose you sales. It's inevitable.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:40 pm

They may not care, and they may be filling a nitch we aren't aware of.
Time will tell. I'd certainly pass on investing in them, though.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/02/16 8:07 pm

Maybe I'm outta the loop, but has uber been having problems that would require this new service?

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:08 pm

I don't think so. My guess is that this is just some crazy feminist thing about men being animals.

sydwel
04/02/16 8:12 pm

Don't think the ideas that women need greater protection or that gender discrimination is okay has anything to do with feminism, but alright.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/02/16 8:16 pm

If they were having such a problem, it wouldn't be as simple an answer in my opinion, but if it's fine, easy: discrimination

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 7:35 am

A lot of women in my area been having problems with male drivers. Id think it was fine too if they had problems the other way.

MrChris80 California
04/02/16 8:06 pm

Its the kind of discrimination Im fine with.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/02/16 7:52 pm

It's gender discrimination, plain and simple.

They aren't instituting a background check, so the implied safety is purely based on the gender of the driver.

This should not be okay with anyone. While male drivers may be more likely to deliberately hurt their passengers, this is a clear violation of equal opportunity in employment.

We need to condemn this.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:09 pm

Condemn it but don't ban it. If it's really such a horrible idea, it will fail.
If women want this, there's no reason we should force them not to have it.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
04/02/16 8:12 pm

I agree. I don't think anti-discrimination should be legislated into law. It's a social issue and business policies will change when social pressure forces them to change.

Mark3
04/03/16 4:05 am

What a good exchange.

It's a shame the very word discrimination has become so poisonous.

Discrimination is necessary to life.

ClayTownR California
04/02/16 7:28 pm

Because somehow lesbian rapists just cease to exist every time someone wants to be sexist.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/02/16 7:26 pm

Not all discrimination is bad.

chinito Florida
04/02/16 7:23 pm

Great idea.

dlaw4570
04/02/16 7:22 pm

If only men were hired and would only pick up, drive, men that would be discrimination! But this is different! Right?

sydwel
04/02/16 7:16 pm

Whatever good intentions they may have had about increasing safety, it's discrimination and I'm not a fan.

Maj Worth Economist
04/02/16 7:09 pm

It's discrimination. I wasn't sure until I got to the part of the article where Uber and Lyft could be running checks on their contractees, but don't. I think the goal is laudable, but the idea of just having some sort of background check procedure, and maybe standard of conduct, would make the biggest difference... And there's no reason to not offer that to everyone. They're basically saying that if I want to feel safe, my family couldn't use their service without my husband being left behind. That's ridiculous.

chinito Florida
04/02/16 7:30 pm

What about the safety of the drivers?

Maj Worth Economist
04/02/16 7:36 pm

That's a good consideration, but I don't honestly think that gender really matters when it comes to intoxication. And I'm not honestly sure that men as passengers are particularly more prone to harm than women when they're sober. I'd have to have more information on that.

chinito Florida
04/02/16 7:55 pm

Let's use common sense. Imagine you have a beautiful teenage daughter. She gets an Uber at 3:00AM to a secluded location. Would you rather she have a male or female driver?

Now imagine she is the driver and a drunk passenger gets in her car. Would you rather the passenger is a male or female?

Don't think only about the the likelihood of being attacked but also would she be able to defend herself?

chinito Florida
04/02/16 7:56 pm

Maj Worth Economist
04/02/16 8:42 pm

I'd rather her driver be screened than not. It doesn't matter whether they're a guy or girl. And I'd rather her not ferry drunk people from place to place even though that's one of the points of Uber and Lyft.

And ultimately my pint remains... If a small family like mine wanted to feel safe using a service like this, we couldn't. What if I need a ride and my son is 15 and it's just us? How is that serving me as a woman to leave the people I love behind - in unsafe conditions?

Mark3
04/02/16 7:01 pm

It's blatant discrimination, and it's just fine.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 7:01 pm

Discrimination. Maybe your next driver is a female psycho, a Lizzie Borden. Men aren't usually raping and murdering pigs. Those are rare cases, and having a female driver doesn't guarantee your safety.

chinito Florida
04/02/16 7:29 pm

The odds change drastically!

ADLK1996 New York