goldz April 3rd, 2016 1:14am

Eric Drexler (thanks @omniku for recommendation!) writes about a future in which nanotechnology will ensure eternal youth. It will also allow us to explore space indefinitely, so no overpopulation. Do you think eternal youth will help or harm?

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 9:06 pm

The world would have a difficult time supporting such a notion, both with housing and food. I am in agony every day of my life. Why not work on fixing that instead of making it so people live longer? Let's not forget, the intelligent and the idiot would have a chance to extend their lives. I pray I die before I see this happen.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 8:31 pm

I'm amazed how few recognize the possibilities. With an average lifespan of 500-800 years (an insurance company calculated that, if aging and disease are no more), people could do longterm projects we can only dream of. Yes. This includes settling space. In that controlled environment, many would live for thousands of years. They can pursue multiple careers. We'd adapt to a longer life.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
04/02/16 8:10 pm

What could go wrong? Aside from war over who gets to stay and who has to leave.

dominiclandry
04/02/16 7:42 pm

Does the brain also not mature? If so, it would be horrible. Either way, it would be horrible.

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 7:44 pm

Yes, the brain matures. Why would it be horrible?

dominiclandry
04/02/16 7:46 pm

I can't think of any positives besides ones that are vain

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 7:47 pm

What about no death or disease?

dominiclandry
04/02/16 7:50 pm

I hate to be morbid and inhumane, but would the population cease growing? It would get very crowded if not.

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 7:51 pm

We could also explore and settle space indefinitely. I mentioned it in the question but it wasn't so clear.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
04/02/16 7:29 pm

That would be great. It wouldn't matter how slowly you built wealth because you would still have plenty of time to enjoy it and keep building.

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 7:33 pm

Although with nanotechnology this advanced, wealth will be irrelevant because all needs and wants can be automatically produced at little cost.

Also, everyone else would be just as rich or richer.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
04/02/16 7:44 pm

The technology described wouldn't do anything more towards meeting people's needs.

Potentially true on the latter point, though the vast majority of people don't attempt to build wealth but rather everything they earn and then go into debt to buy even more stuff they can't afford. As far as people as a whole, I don't think it would change all that much. If anything, they'd likely be even less responsible since in their mind they wouldn't have to plan for about retirement.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
04/02/16 7:46 pm

Should say "squander everything they earn." For some reason autocorrect didn't like that.

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 7:46 pm

Drexler goes into the many uses of nanotechnology and one is completely automated, dirt-cheap production. But I think if anything people will be more responsible- they have centuries to live with the consequences of their mistakes.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
04/02/16 7:51 pm

Well I guess when it's his story, he can make up whatever he wants, haha.

I think you're thinking what if what you would do in that situation rather than what others would do. Never underestimate people's stupidity and short-sightedness.

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 7:53 pm

It's a nonfiction, scientific book. Not a story.

But you're right, it's a big mistake to assume everyone is rational.

UniversePlan Michigan
04/02/16 6:41 pm

This user is currently being ignored

goldz oh this world
04/02/16 6:51 pm

Well if that happens you can arrange your death.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
04/02/16 7:08 pm

Exactly. You aren't actually immortal. Jumping from s cliff will still kill you. All it does is eradicate diseases and aging, not suicide or accidents.

cpaswr 864511320
04/02/16 6:31 pm

We all need to die sometime.

goldz oh this world