DerekWills April 3rd, 2016 1:08am

G-d forbid you ever have to really face this decision. Men: Your pregnant wife has been in an accident and you can only save one. Women: Assume you're unable to make the decision. Who would you want the father to choose?

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
04/07/16 9:33 pm

Logical, not-pregnant PartyFree says save me. Illogical, pregnant PartyFree would probably say save the baby.

commonsense Read another book
04/05/16 10:36 am

Id say the mothers life is way more important than the unborn's.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
04/03/16 10:32 pm

I love my girlfriend and I don't want children. Easy decision.

thomas12266
04/03/16 7:08 pm

The mother would want the child's life to be saved.

Preox Earth
04/03/16 7:07 pm

Save the wife,finding someone that you would consider a wife can take a really long time.A kid though can be fairly easy,adoption if needed.

inge MIA
04/03/16 11:58 am

When my ex and I had this conversation due to the liver issues I've had my whole life, I made him agree that he would save our son. If I was in this situation again with a six year old today, I would have my husband save me. My son growing up without a mother is my biggest fear.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
04/03/16 10:42 am

Definitely the mother. She can have more babies.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
04/03/16 9:36 am

Gotta go with saving my wife. It would kill me to make that decision.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/03/16 8:19 am

Definitely the mother.

Brrrrrrrrr
04/03/16 8:08 am

Fortunately, 'you can only save one' is a fantastic (relating to fantasy) dilemma which exists primarily in pro-choice rhetoric. If a doctor says that with absolute unflinching certainty, go to a real doctor and get a first opinion. A real doctor may ask you which one to prioritize, he may tell you that trying to save both will result in a higher chance of both dying...so on and so forth. But he's not going to say that you absolutely must let one die to save the other.
For anyone who doubts that a real doctor will never give up on trying to save someone, there are doctors who tried to save Kennedy after chunks of his brain and skull landed on the trunk.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 7:38 am

Id want myself to be saved. And if it was my partner Id save them.

ozzy
04/03/16 7:36 am

In Jewish theology the choice is the wife. As an adult, she is a functioning life, while the fetus does not really get recognition before surviving 8 days outside the womb.

steelcity Pittsburgh
04/03/16 5:52 am

My wife comes before my children in my marriage. I believe one of the major drivers of divorce in this country is that spouses put their children in front of their spouse and it results in the degradation of marital relationship.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
04/03/16 1:24 am

When I was pregnant, I told my husband to let my daughter live if this ever happened. It is something every pregnant couple should discuss.

swjboucher Just Run
04/03/16 4:06 am

My wife and I had the same conversation. I agree ever couple should have this talk.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/02/16 10:41 pm

We have been trying for years. Will be spending more money to try again this summer. If it came to it, I'm confident both my wife and I would say save the baby.

PrinceOberyn Io Himeros
04/02/16 10:36 pm

It's harsh, but if whatever is afflicting them isn't damaging the reproductive organs, you can breed again. Save the mother.

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/02/16 10:36 pm

Where is her husband telling her that she should take it easy?

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/02/16 10:32 pm

You can't even bring yourself to honor God.

PrinceOberyn Io Himeros
04/02/16 10:38 pm

He's Jewish you fucking dumbass. Him 'bleeping' it out is in respect to God. It's an ancient practice!

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/02/16 10:44 pm

So you're saying that Jews don't respect God? You're the moron.

PrinceOberyn Io Himeros
04/02/16 10:50 pm

You really are illiterate aren't you? I said he was respecting God. It is an ancient Jewish practice to avoid using God's holy name out of reverence to the third commandment. In modern English it's done through the use of 'G-d'.

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/02/16 10:57 pm

Well we'll see if Moses parts the Red Sea again before God makes his return. Only time will tell and only a few will be left to write about it.

PrinceOberyn Io Himeros
04/02/16 10:58 pm

What in the fuck are you talking about?

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/02/16 11:03 pm

I pray for you. ✌🏻️

PrinceOberyn Io Himeros
04/02/16 11:06 pm

Hmm...right. I can't believe I never asked, but how many times have you been beaten up by a rich guy in a bat costume?

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/02/16 11:08 pm

Why do you always have to resort to anger? Did your parents not teach you better?

CdtLJM New Jersey
04/02/16 11:39 pm

Why is it bad to address Ad-nai as G-d?

GrandmaALiCE
04/03/16 4:59 am

Cowboy, allow me to help out here. In fact, this is a custom many Jews follow, as a sign of respect. Rather than try to explain it myself, below are several sources. Please read them.

@DerekW is actually being respectful. Having said that, not all Jews follow this custom, so you may see me writing the complete name.

judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/Why-Do-Some-Jews-Spell-God-G-D.htm

www.jewfaq.org/m/name.htm

m.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/166899/jewish/Why-Dont-You-Spell-Out-G-ds-Name.htm

www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/About_Writing/about_writing.html

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/03/16 5:29 am

Wow. That's weird. Honoring God without saying his name. I've never heard of such a thing. Thank you, grandma. ✌🏻️

GrandmaALiCE
04/03/16 6:10 am

Glad I could help. Did you read the articles I linked?

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/03/16 6:13 am

Two of them. Enough to get what your saying.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/03/16 8:40 am

It's god, not Voldemort. It's ok to say call your god by his professional job title.

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
04/03/16 8:57 am

I know, right? That's what I don't understand. God wants us to worship him, but saying his name is somehow wrong? I've never heard this before.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
04/03/16 9:02 am

I agree fully. Typically, names are intentionally unsaid due to fear and/or despisal. If your god (oddly enough, named the same thing as his title) wants you to live in fear of him, maybe it's time to start shopping around for a new deity.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
04/03/16 10:40 am

Seriously I didn't know that. You learn something new every day

GrandmaALiCE
04/03/16 2:26 pm

Laser, I never said "fear." Religious Jews aren't fearful. They don't believe, if they write the complete name, they will be struck down by lightning! 😂

Fear is a negative emotion. Action X may lead to bad consequence Y. I stop at red lights, even if no cars are coming, because I FEAR the cop who may give me a ticket.

Respect, honor and love are positive emotions. I don't fear my husband. Not at all! However, I do certain things that I'd rather not do, because these actions please him. Of course, that's an imperfect analogy, because my husband and I are equals.

The idea is that the name of God is to be treated with utmost respect. You don't want to write it down, then erase it or destroy the medium it is written on.

Old prayer books, for example, are buried in a cemetery, with honor. That's why some Jews follow the practice of writing G-d, where they know the words will soon disappear.

@chinito @ozzy @Nkarta

chinito Florida
04/03/16 4:13 pm

I believe it also has something to do with the the third commandment " “You shall not take His name in vain".

Religious jews even avoid saying any of God's names when they are not reading from the Torah or praying and just say Hashem (which literally means "The Name") instead. Also, the common way to write God in hebrew is to just write the letter ״ה״ to avoid spelling His name.

K4tn1ss Dont look in the closet
04/02/16 9:31 pm

F you 49%. THINK of the mother's thoughts. God help this Nation

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/02/16 9:26 pm

Just a half century ago, women would have been nearly unanimous in choosing the baby. Now, it's "just a baby. We can always have another to replace him or her."

God help us. Please give our nation Mercy, NOT Justice.

scmama South Carolina
04/03/16 3:45 am

I was rather shocked by the results of this poll, especially from the women.

peterseb Idaho
04/03/16 6:56 am

Remember the women we asked to vote how they thought their spouse (husband) would vote. The % might change if women voted for how they would vote.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 8:08 am

I mean, its just a woman doesnt sound better. She isnt replaceable either.

GrandmaALiCE
04/03/16 9:34 pm

Peterseb: "Remember the women were asked to vote how they thought their spouse (husband) would vote."

That's not what the question asks. In fact, it says:

"Women: ... Who would you want the father to choose?"

GrandmaALiCE
04/03/16 9:35 pm

Tom, how do you know it would have been different 50 years ago?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/03/16 9:36 pm

aj, the maternal instinct causes most women to be willing to sacrifice themselves to protect their children. At least it always had until the advent of modern self-centered feminism.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 9:44 pm

Wow, thats not based on any kind of science. I fail to see whats selfless about letting your wife die so you can have a kid. I shouldnt be surprised. Women arent generally valued in systems like yours. I think Ive learned all I need to about your religion.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/03/16 9:46 pm

As I was growing up, I can remember multiple episodes of westerns on TV and also western movies where this scenario came up. The women ALWAYS said, "Doc, don't mind about me! Save my baby!" That's a reflection not only of 19th-century values, but of prevalent American values in the 1950s-'60s.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 9:48 pm

Tv isnt real life....and newsflash, those were written by men. This shows me how women are valued in this kind of religion. Selfish women thinking they might have equal value to a baby!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/03/16 9:59 pm

Oh - that was meant for Alice, but it also responds to aj's latest comment. Aj, it's not that ANYONE "values the woman's life less." It's that the woman feels she has had a chance to live a life, however short that may be, and everyone conceived deserves that chance. So the maternal instinct says, "It's been a good life, and I wish it could have been longer, but my baby deserves a chance to live a life too." That's not me or Christianity speaking - it's an inborn human instinct in women that even an evolutionary biologist would admit contributes to the survival of the species. You know me. Don't keep forgetting that and assuming the worst instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt. ❤️

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/03/16 10:04 pm

Im not sure why you think you have a place speaking for any woman in regards to that, though you using tv as an example says a lot. And easy to say given its not you tying in the childbirth bed. Its a sad choice, yeah. But choosing the baby is just as selfish, if not moreso. The woman will consciously perceive death, unlike the baby, who would grow up motherless. You can conceive another child- you cant so easily replace your wife. If you truly view both lives as equal, why is choising the mother so wrong to you?

GrandmaALiCE
04/03/16 10:05 pm

I agree with aj that TV doesn't reflect real life. Thinking about the women I am close to, I respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

aj1545 Cat Lady
04/04/16 7:02 am

@tlaney- I understand that perspective and why some would view it that way. Yes, some mothers would prefer the baby be saved. Also, many wouldnt. This is a tragic choice either way, but to say women are all selfish and corrupted by feminism if they want to be saved is not true and insulting. There are good reasons to save the mother. And if both lives are really equal, either choice should be morally acceptable. It is up to the woman. I slso think you underestimate how many women wanted to live in the past- and often had that choice forcibly taken away. Ive studied childbirth history and thats the what I read. Women were maimed and killed to save babies before they were allowed agency in the process.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/02/16 8:52 pm

I will choose the path my mom did when the doctor told her that during labor Dad would likely have to choose who they saved & say the baby. (Thankfully, Dad didn't have to decide & we both survived labor.)

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:13 pm

My wife was adamant with our last child that if anything were to happen the doctor save our child first and her second. She was having some complications and this was a serious and well considered statement at the time she made it.
I'd have respected her wishes.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:14 pm

But I voted "mother's life" because that would have been my gut reaction if faced with this situation without talking to her about it first.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
04/02/16 7:45 pm

We could have or adopt another child. But I certainly wouldn't want my child to grow up motherless. I know my husband would feel the same way.

fredd TrumpLand
04/02/16 7:33 pm

Save my wife. Have another kid. Adopt if necessary.

ADLK1996 New York
04/02/16 7:27 pm

Save the wife. Can have another kid

ronderman North Carolina
04/02/16 7:23 pm

My wife and I had this conversation before getting pregnant with our first child. There was never any question. My wife comes before the baby. She didn't like it, but she agreed to it.

firefly5 the verse
04/04/16 12:05 am

We had the same conversation. It's one you're glad was strictly hypothetical.

ronderman North Carolina
04/04/16 7:05 am

Hypothetical, but a very needed conversation.

ovcourse It is a Journey
04/02/16 7:07 pm

My wife, ovcourse.

sydwel
04/02/16 7:00 pm

I'd pick myself and I'd pick my spouse if either of us were in that situation.

voc I am...what I am
04/02/16 6:44 pm

Why do you put a - in place of the o in God?

SticksandStones Proud Prude
04/02/16 6:47 pm

To be respectful, I believe.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
04/02/16 6:48 pm

It's a Jewish custom to show reverence to Him. His name in Hebrew doesn't have vowel points, so we don't know how to pronounce it. We carry that over to His title in English.

voc I am...what I am
04/02/16 6:48 pm

Ah. Thank you for explaining.

evoecon nearest binary system
04/02/16 6:28 pm

Mother. The laws on killing others has an exception for self-defense.

phen nebraska
04/02/16 6:24 pm

We have had this conversation with our first baby. Wanted to cover all bases