JustBob April 3rd, 2016 12:03am

Nancy an Jim are both in their 80s and own their home outright. They've decided to erect a tomb on the property so they will never have to leave. The family is fighting their decision arguing that it will affect resale. You're the judge, pick a side.

Maj Worth Economist
04/07/16 11:42 pm

If it's legal, Nancy and Jim. The kids can move N&J once they're dead.

liam2013 iowa
04/06/16 4:09 am

I am afraid you might have a problem with the local laws. You can't just bury people anywhere. If the authorities ok it then let them go ahead. The family can do with the remains and structure anyway it wishes since the couple can't stop them when they are dead.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/04/16 6:46 am

welcome back!
I side with the owners. As long as it is legal, it is their property.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/04/16 7:46 am

Thanks, happy to be back

PresWK Minnesota
04/03/16 8:11 pm

The will of the property owners should be followed first over the greedy wants of their shitty kids that just want to make money off their deaths

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
04/03/16 10:19 am

Depends on big the property is according to NY. I also read about rules and regulations about scattering ashes. Some were ridiculous, but I understand a few.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
04/03/16 10:21 am

Like you can't be around people. Who'd want to be walking on a beach and get ashes in your face? Then you find out it's HUMAN ashes. EWWWWWWWW

singkitty In the cloud
04/03/16 6:17 am

Ultimately it's up to the owners, however there are laws in a lot of places that stipulate that human remains can't be on residential land so I'd want to make sure it was legal first.

jmw7477 Indiana
04/03/16 6:49 am

This is what I was thinking.

Torfin Never Behind
04/02/16 11:19 pm

It depends upon local laws..here in MO it is a lot easier to do this sort of thing.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/02/16 10:15 pm

Welcome back! I missed you. I think it's illegal to be buried on your own property. It would depend on the legalities of disposing of bodies.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/02/16 10:22 pm

Thanks Tops! I missed you too. I've looked, couldn't find anything saying we can't be buried on private property

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
04/02/16 9:54 pm

This isn't a hard decision. Nancy and Jim own the property, so they can do what they wish and certainly don't have to get the family's consent.

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 9:16 pm

It would depend on the acreage. What if they built some kind of weird tomb? If it is 3 or more acres, yes. I want to be buried in my property, but it's not even 1/2 an acre, so this would be odd for future owners. And for genealogy this is weird. We have a hard time finding our ancestors in these little plots. And what if the family wanted to visit the grave? Ding dong. "Yes, can I visit the grave today?" "Today isn't a good day." Hmmm. "Can you put these flowers on it for me?"

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
04/02/16 8:45 pm

It's up to whoever pays the property taxes after they're gone. If these two nuts have a trust set up to cover that in perpetuity, then they get my vote.

usaftw123 lolrektville
04/02/16 8:24 pm

Does the family own the property? No, Nancy and Jim can do whatever they want.

singkitty In the cloud
04/03/16 6:18 am

Unless it breaks a law. There are a lot of places where this would be illegal.

ronderman North Carolina
04/02/16 7:26 pm

My parents bought a house a few years ago and discovered a family cemetery on their property. Now, if anything goes wrong in the house, my dad blames "Dilly" (one of the women buried in his back yard).

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/03/16 12:42 am

Just like a man to blame a woman.

Rosebud Ohio
04/02/16 6:36 pm

I 💖 this kind of poll!

dlaw4570
04/02/16 6:24 pm

Zoning is going to determine the outcome along with state laws and possibly local regulations. If N & J are of sound mind and not otherwise restricted its their decision, it can always be destroyed after they're dead..."we ain't afraid of no ghost!"

dlaw4570
04/02/16 6:43 pm

Sure! Just use a bulldozer! ;)

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/02/16 6:46 pm

Aww, poor Nancy's head went tumbling, I meant without all the frowny faces

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/02/16 6:09 pm

Their place, their tomb. They shouldn't care about resale, because they won't be there to sell it or benefit from the sale. If they have the money, they could probably even put the property in a trust and fund its maintenance, assuring a peaceful place to decompose for the foreseeable future. Don't want me buried on MY place so you get a bigger inheritance? That's OK, rest easy, you ain't getting anything anyway.

rons on top of the world MA
04/02/16 5:49 pm

When the die repaint it as a playhouse.

rons on top of the world MA
04/03/16 5:36 am

You've been gone for a while.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/03/16 12:10 pm

Yea, been looking for a job and had the crazy notion that if they saw this side of me it would muddle things up

rons on top of the world MA
04/03/16 2:34 pm

Well, I Enjoyed the Justbob neighbor stories.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
04/02/16 5:48 pm

They are 80, at that point their family is there to help them, take care of them, and take care of their possessions after they die.

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
04/02/16 5:35 pm

While I may think it's really foolish to erect a tomb on the property, unless there are zoning issues, they can do what they want.

logicalphallus Minnesota
04/02/16 5:26 pm

If Nancy and Jim own the house, then why would anyone else have a say in the decision? Seems like they should be able to do what they want with their own property.