Psychoanalysis April 2nd, 2016 5:27pm

Is the profession of the Psychiatric-Physician (Psychiatrist) fraudulent?

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/02/16 1:28 pm

We do examine the brain via scans , operations on the brain while the patient is awake, & other various methods. Regarding schizophrenia, we have recently identified a number of bio markers & we know that schizophrenia is genetic but also related to the environment in which one grows up in. It's the same for depression. Those with treatment resistant depression that is chronic, usually have relatives who are/were also chronically depressed & there are genetic mutations that we've recently discovered to support this. Transient or situational depression is almost always caused by environmental factors. SAD is something that may not be a legitimate disorder simply because so many people get it PLUS, there are a large number of people who suddenly pop out of their "chronic depression " during the darker months- this clearly does not support SAD in that there is a reverse SAD for chronic patients. We're learning new things all the time but the human body is still mysterious!

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
04/02/16 11:14 am

I have work with psychiatrist and psychologist and have seen the great work they do in helping individual suffering from mental illness. I am sure there are some bad apples but on the whole, I think they are very professional and do a lot of good.

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 11:03 am

I would be more inclined to call it a job of guessing and judgement. Psychiatrists can't physically examine the brain. I think it's time to let them. The biomarkers for depression haven't succeeded. Neither did the ones for schizophrenia. Psychiatric researchers have 10 years to prove every mental illness in the DSM 5. Can't wait to see what comes of that!

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/02/16 1:00 pm

What What?! Project FND, first & foremost, psychiatrists are medical doctors, hence my tag "FancyN,MD." Just like a GP or an ER MD, we all start med school together & we all finish as MDs. Psychiatrists then go on for another 4 years in residency, 3 of those years must be in psychiatric residency. Then we take a massive 2 day exam to become board certified shrinks by the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology. Finally, if you wish to work in a sub-specialty like pediatric & adolescent psychiatry or forensic psychiatry , then you're off on another 2-4 yr post-residency/fellowship. It took me 12 years to become certified in everything that I am today. Psychiatrists use science & medicine to treat psychiatric disorders. It's very rare that we come across a case where we're totally baffled as to what the patient is suffering from. At that point, we consult with colleagues & yes, there's guess work. Still, psychiatrists are medical doctors before "head docs."

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 1:31 pm

That is why. I hate it they can't know more about the brain. It wasn't a cut. It is because there are so many chemicals that are unknown in the way they work. I think judgement for it is highly respectable for the only division of medicine that can't have access to the organ it treats. And because of medication, what a patient presents as, it is the responsibility of the psychiatrist to fit them with a correct medication. Unfortunately, medications are a constant trial and error, which becomes the guessing game. We are put through many medications until one works. Unlike a laceration, where we are sewn up, or breast cancer and surgery and possibly chemo and radiation are given.

On the side or the psychiatrist, they give medication based on years of training and study, but they can't "see" inside the brain to know whether it repaired anything. I find it one or the most fascinating parts of medicine, in that it must be frustrating to not know each time whether a medication will work.

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/02/16 1:39 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by "psychiatrists have 10 years to prove every mental illness in the DSM V. " I dislike the V & prefer the IV -TR & I'm in the majority with that. Everything that's in the DSM is there because it's the main source of all mental health diagnostic information & classification. The DSM is basically a book of mental disorders with the appropriate symptoms filed into various categories. Nothing needs to be proved.

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 1:40 pm

I also know this is a difficult job. Analyzing and making judgment calls based on something told from a patient perspective, and possibly family. If a patient lies well enough a bad psychiatrist may believe. My friend who lives with me sees a psychiatrist, as do I. I pay to see her so I see no point in lying. However, my friend pays to see her psychiatrist and we found out 2 days ago she is a drug addict. The psychiatrist missed this, and prescribed her klonopin, which she quickly user up.

Had the psychiatrist done a drug test and seen inside her brain, I hope a different path of treatment would've been given. But the friend had us all fooled.

I don't see it as the fault of the psychiatrist. I find it a fault in medicine in general. Knowing and seeing the brain of each individual would change the way a trained psychiatrist diagnoses. I would hope.

I hope that makes sense. My head is out of order, as we with FND say. They can't see inside our heads either. Which would help!

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/02/16 1:47 pm

That's true . It's very frustrating to work with a patient who's body or brain rejects the majority or all of the meds available to treat whatever the disorder/disease is. Still, we do all types of scans on the brain, like MRIs , & they have revealed a lot of info that we're just learning about. Maybe there is a reason we don't know everything about the brain now & perhaps we never will. If we were able to crack the secrets of the brain, then people might take advantage of that & use it for nefarious purposes such as turning citizens into androids or what have you without the public being able to tell the difference between a real human & an android-human. Plus, the mind is something different from the brain. That's an entirely different subject to study.

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 1:48 pm

I agree. The DSM V was fought by many psychiatrists. You know it's controversy. One of the reports we happened upon in our research was a call to have the RCoD used in conjunction, not in place or the DSM V, but if they are to put out the mess that became the DSM V they had 10 years for researchers to prove the science behind the claims. FND, for example, is in it, but is not a mental illness. We find it frustrating, because GPs and neurologists see it as a mental illness because of where it's placed in medical manuals. We get no treatment. We are poked in the eyes during dissociative seizures, told we are psychotic and to stop faking. Every ailment we have is fake to doctors. We are horribly disabled, but no disability. It's a crying shame for it all.

ProjectFND USA
04/02/16 1:57 pm

I don't think the brain would be replicated with such ease. I think this is the season of brain discovery. I see it all around. The discovery last month of the vessels that connect the gut to the brain! It's miraculous! But this means it has an impact on the mind as well as the brain, because they can't be separated. A great researcher keeps telling me this. They are one, and must be treated as such. As psych drugs and the pill have disabled my CNS and brain, I think it only fair science delve deeper to help the psychiatrist. An MRI tells a small story. An fMRI and MEG tell a better one. We are a ways off from such intricate science and psychiatric exactness.

I hope this didn't offend you. Wasn't means to. I respect this field greatly and know it saves lives. It says something about the doctor who chooses to help people in their suffering, and not have exact science to cure or improve each patient.