Brandon1995 April 2nd, 2016 5:22pm

A federal judge just struck down one of Mississippi's most disgustingly bigoted law. The law would make pre-martial sex illegal, ban same-sex marriage, and would deny the existence of transgender people.

jvc1133 61535
04/04/16 6:29 am

Way To Go ! !

PresWK Minnesota
04/02/16 2:02 pm

Individual rights > state rights

KingMilo Earth
04/02/16 12:06 pm

Haha, another liberal lying about what a bill actually does to make ppl mad at "evil" republicans

Brandon1995 San Francisco
04/02/16 12:10 pm

Look up "House Bill 1523". It says sex is reserved for only married people.

KingMilo Earth
04/02/16 12:16 pm

It doesn't make it illegal tho, and besides, I actually agree with that

Brandon1995 San Francisco
04/02/16 12:19 pm

Why should someone's sex life be your business or the government's business?

KingMilo Earth
04/02/16 1:06 pm

I was just saying its for marriage, not that it should be illegal

kscott516 EB rules
04/03/16 8:24 am

"It says sex is reserved for only married people."

It says that but you didn't understand the bill. It protects private citizens from being forced to act against their deeply held religious beliefs. I.e. The bakers in Oregon that were sued.

kscott516 EB rules
04/02/16 12:03 pm

Where does it say anything about making premarital sex illegal or about transgenders?

Brandon1995 San Francisco
04/02/16 12:10 pm

Look up House Bill 1523.

kscott516 EB rules
04/03/16 8:23 am

Ok just read it. You clearly did NOT. The bill simply protects private citizens' rights to freedom of religion, including not being forced to sell flowers or cakes for a same sex marriage etc. It has literally nothing to do with banning same sex marriage or anything to do with transgenders.

Brandon1995 San Francisco
04/03/16 8:28 am

Nope I've read. The bill states that marriage is between a man and a woman, sex is reserved for marriage, and that transgender people don't exist. If passed, public officials could have used this law to deny service to gays, and couples who have pre-martial sex

kscott516 EB rules
04/03/16 8:49 am

The bill states that private individuals believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and that the Gov't should not coerce them to take actions that violate those beliefs. You're not understanding the bill at all.

Sicilian New Orleans, La
04/06/16 11:46 pm

I think the fact this debate between you guys is a problem in itself. Not that y'all are arguing, but that there is room for debate. If a bill is not abundantly clear, it leaves exactly what is happening to happen. It gives the state the ability to say, "that's not what we meant". Bills and Laws need to be made crystal clear so there is no debate as to what had been out into effect.

kscott516 EB rules
04/07/16 4:35 am

I've read the bill and it is abundantly clear. It spells out everything. I think the real problem is that this person has not read it but is taking only what they heard as fact.

susanr Colorado
04/02/16 11:30 am

I had heard about the ruling regarding same-sex couples adopting - I'm all for that, of course.

I don't see anything in the article (and hadn't heard about it elsewhere yet) about premarital sex or transgenders. Did I miss something?

susanr Colorado
04/02/16 12:32 pm

Thanks for the link; I'll take a look at it when I get a chance later. (Looks a bit long to go through it right now.)

RyanX
04/02/16 10:28 am

I'm always inclined to believe these extrapolations are a bit distorted from what a bill actually says, any chance you can specify what bill it was? Of course, of those implications are accurate then shutting it down was a great success. I'm just always skeptical of biased interpretation

TierasPet
04/08/16 3:36 pm

I have that same skepticism. I like to read it for myself. I do think this was a good ruling.