kermie April 2nd, 2016 4:41pm

Most people who commit violent crimes have experienced significant trauma in their lives. Most people involved in their arrest, conviction, and punishment have not. Is this fair?

MrsCrayonWax Kathys Klown
04/07/16 6:50 am

I think I'm hearing a mental health component to your argument? That aside, what are the official sources on those two claims?

scubaagb
04/05/16 7:23 am

Kermie,

I'm confused as to why this is not fair. I understand your question and that you're upset about people's responses.

But how can we say only someone who has gone through the same situations as someone else should be allowed to arrest a person.

No two people go through the same situations.

I agree people going through trauma is a terrible reality of our society but to say perpetrators or suspected perpetrators could only be arrested by a police officer who has been a victim or the same trauma that they have committed, or the arrest is unfair seems a bit far fetched to me.

Maybe I am missing something.

kermie gaytopia
04/05/16 11:13 am

I'm not suggesting anything like that. I'm not suggesting anything at all, really, but everyone has jumped to the assumption that I am, which is irritating. All I'm asking is simply, is that fair? No. It's not fair. That doesn't mean we have to change it.

scubaagb
04/05/16 3:11 pm

I agree people get a little crazy when they are behind the screen. The golden rule is so quickly forgotten online.

But my question is what's not fair about it?

kermie gaytopia
04/05/16 9:31 pm

People making uniateral decisions about your freedom who have no understanding of your experience? What ISN'T unfair about that?

scubaagb
04/06/16 5:00 am

Hypothetical: Person A it turns out was the victim of physical abuse growing up. Person A brutally rapes person B. Person A is arrested by police, tried by prosecutors, and convicted by a jury not all of who were victims of childhood physical abuse.

Fair or unfair?

caboose2050 Blood Gulch
04/04/16 8:47 am

We can't just let them continue committing violent crimes.

lorraineruth Bozeman
04/04/16 1:15 am

Being abided does not entitle you to be an abuser. Bottom line is that your actions are your own.

Torfin Never Behind
04/02/16 11:27 pm

Life is not fair and to expect it to be is foolishness.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
04/02/16 11:22 pm

It's not fair or unfair. It just is. Quality of life isn't something that falls from the sky that we need to find the best way to distribute. I sympathize for the criminal and want to prevent future criminals but standards are more important than

dfish at home
04/02/16 8:46 pm

Life's not fair.

jvberg Winter has Come
04/02/16 5:52 pm

A lot of people don't live the lives of these people and can't understand what they go through on a day to day basis.

Suzan Hawaii
04/02/16 2:55 pm

Police have the exact same psychological profile as criminals.

chrismisen atlanta
04/02/16 1:12 pm

fair is a tough word to universally define. i dont know if those situations are fair, but i am fairly confident that there isnt a hugely superior system just waiting to be discovered. i think we really just have to hope that it will continue to get better as it has in the last decades.

kermie gaytopia
04/02/16 11:12 am

Christ, you people ruin this app. I didn't suggest any "solution" or "fix." I don't even know if there is one. I'm simply noticing a feature of American life and the answer is pretty simple: no, it's not fair. Why is everyone immediately becoming so aggressively defensive and argumentative? God forbid we have a moment of compassion for people who've experienced trauma without disgusting dismissiveness. I feel gross now. I feel sorry for all of you, actually, that you think the whole world is out to get you at every second and you can't take a moment to feel bad for someone else's experience.

Donaldo Hot Sauce In My Bag
04/02/16 11:50 am

I do feel bad for people in messed up situations. I know life isn't fair, and it never has been, but I still feel sympathy for people quite a bit. But as soon as they turn around and do something terrible to an innocent person, then they fucked themselves over. I feel bad for people until they do evil things

thebarr
04/02/16 2:35 pm

^^ Exactly this.

kermie gaytopia
04/02/16 3:19 pm

Um, that's like saying "I love gay people I just think they're sinners and shouldn't get married" lol

thebarr
04/02/16 6:05 pm

No, that's like saying people are responsible for the choices made of their own free will. A radical concept, I know.

dfish at home
04/02/16 8:48 pm

You sound unstable

caboose2050 Blood Gulch
04/04/16 8:52 am

I feel bad that that's what they made of their life, and hopefully they get a chance to turn it around. but they still have to be held accountable. A lot of people go through trauma without going on to commit violent crimes.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/17/16 2:34 pm

I know I'm late for the party and I usually don't do this, but I had this girlfriend when I was younger, we broke up because we were better off as friends. She was like a sister to me. She was so beautiful and so damn sweet. She was living with her new boyfriend and some bastards came in to kill him. She answered the door and they shot her in the chest with a shot gun.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/17/16 2:36 pm

I have no fucking idea how hard that worthless piece of shit's life was or what kind of struggles he had to endure. All I know is I loved her so damn much and he took her from me.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/17/16 2:39 pm

I don't know where he is now, but I do know where she is, she's in the ground right where he put her. He may be out on parole after someone bought his whole " my life is hard" story. That's not fair, but it's also a fact of life. I can't bring myself to show any fucking sympathy to this worthless motherfucker

thebarr
04/17/16 2:59 pm

He's maybe out on parole. She's dead. How's that for unfair? Thanks for sharing the other side of the "life is hard for violent criminals" nonsense.

kermie gaytopia
04/17/16 5:25 pm

I'm so sorry that happened Bob.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
04/17/16 8:46 pm

It's ok, that happened 20 years ago, that wound has been a scar for awhile. I bring it up to point out the reason some of us seem so callous to these people is because we had our own struggles to endure

Donaldo Hot Sauce In My Bag
04/02/16 11:05 am

Should cancer patients only be treated by doctors who have also had cancer?

dlaw4570
04/02/16 10:55 am

Why do you feel that people who commit violent crimes have experienced trauma? Any proof? Studies? Are you suggesting one causes the other? Innocent due to prior experiences? Sounds like a cop out...IMO

myob
04/02/16 10:55 am

I hate absolutes questions with lousy answers.

getupbaby South City
04/02/16 10:22 am

Not fair, but what's the alternative?

thebarr
04/02/16 10:41 am

Exactly right. You're making sense now.

thebarr
04/02/16 9:53 am

Life isn't fair. This is not an excuse to commit violent crime.

kermie gaytopia
04/02/16 10:13 am

Not sure how you got that from the question.

thebarr
04/02/16 10:22 am

Ok, then the answer is: Not Fair. So what? Utterly irrelevant.

Life isn't fair. The sooner people realize and accept this, the sooner they will start being successful, happy people that aren't affected by life's occasional unfairness.

getupbaby South City
04/02/16 10:35 am

Yeah, people have been saying that kind of shit for decades now. It's not a solution, it's just you being dismissive.

thebarr
04/02/16 10:40 am

There is no solution for the inherent unfairness of life. Trying to fix it only makes it worse.

Some ideas ought to be dismissed.

dominiclandry
04/02/16 3:59 pm

Solution: don't be a criminal.

getupbaby South City
04/02/16 4:37 pm

Solution: don't be a criminal. I'm so glad the crime problem is over now that someone said it out loud.

dominiclandry
04/02/16 5:26 pm

Look, I get that there are other issues that need to be taken care of, but the foremost of those is that crime is never acceptable or excusable. Without that, no one will take it seriously.

getupbaby South City
04/02/16 5:30 pm

Criminals don't care what acceptable by society's terms. So I've been told in gun debates. To solve the crime problem, you need to solve the drug problem and to do that, you need to fix poverty.

getupbaby South City
04/02/16 5:32 pm

And if you want, we can bring single parent households into the mix along with teen pregnancy. There are so many issues, boiling it down to 'criminality is unacceptable' isn't even inching toward the solution.

thebarr
04/02/16 6:04 pm

There will never be a "solution" until people begin to hold criminals responsible for the choices made with their own free will.

dominiclandry
04/02/16 7:32 pm

I'm not boiling it down to that. I'm saying it's very important to still let that part be known. Everything else you said is spot on.

dominiclandry
04/02/16 7:34 pm

Although we might disagree on how to fix those other things

phen nebraska
04/02/16 9:52 am

Almost everyone alive has experienced trauma in their lives. Just the way we process it and learn to deal with it that differs us

kermie gaytopia
04/02/16 10:12 am

Not the kind of trauma that turns people into violent criminals, no, we haven't.

phen nebraska
04/02/16 12:23 pm

The trauma didn't turn ppl into criminals. The lack of coping skills and resources and therapy to deal with it, along with poor choices turns ppl into criminals