Show Of Hands August 8th, 2012 12:00am

Have you ever truly been afraid for your life? (UserQ)

Paris
08/16/12 1:14 am

Met a shark face to face. I don't know how I got away unharmed seeing how I saw the inside of his mouth before I had the great idea to turn around and run.

along Maryland
08/15/12 10:03 am

For sucked into a whirlpool in a river, thought that was it, but then it spit me out.

08/12/12 8:11 am

when in combat serving in Iraq

miniEll
08/11/12 5:06 pm

2 years ago, there was a man who attacked me. He ended up cutting my throat open. I really thought I was going to die... I have never even so scared. And I'm still battling it in court.

ishady 86451132020
08/11/12 3:00 am

I'm concerned that the ppl who run the country are backed by a religion that would burn ppl at the stake who believe differently than they do.

CP
08/11/12 1:05 am

Held up on a subway by five guys in ski masks, terrifying.

08/10/12 7:59 pm

Was at a 4th of July get-together and someone brought a cannon. Turns out when you just pour the rest of the gunpowder in its probably too much. The cannon exploded while everyone was standing around watching and shrapnel went right between a buddy and I at head level. Luckily only the house was hit

StaffSgtKip Florida
08/10/12 3:40 pm

Almost hit by a car and then I stepped on a downed power line that was still powered

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
08/10/12 3:26 pm

@profdg: God, I couldn't even imagine...

PSU.labtech
08/10/12 12:26 pm

Almost got crushed between a truck and a wall a few months ago. I jumped onto the hood as it hit. It wasn't going very fast, so thankfully I had no injuries.

08/10/12 10:29 am

Ejected from a Humvee due to an IED. Wasn't scared at the time too much. Adrenaline I guess. But going back on patrol was fairly terrifying.

emilyfc California
08/10/12 8:36 am

I got hit with an oar on my left eyebrow while in the water (luckily I was wearing a life vest) and I witnessed a LOT of blood. Another time, I choked on a vitamin C drop (luckily my mom was home) and she had to hit my back really hard so it'd come out :P

ProfDG I Want Truth
08/10/12 6:22 am

Tet Offensive in Khe Sanh Vietnam in 1971.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/09/12 10:08 pm

Was also hit by a car, but I was so young flying through the air was fun. Not so much fun recovering.

Perot4Prez
08/09/12 9:43 pm

@FrostedMin: I am glad to hear your other big brother had the presence of mind to save you.

Imagine how scary it would have been if you we're wearing a hoodie and trying to wash those Skittles down with an iced tea.

THAT would be really scary.

FrostedMin California
08/09/12 8:51 pm

Oh yeah and I guess one time I was eating skittles with my brother bad choked. It was friggin scary. He yelled downstairs "MOM!!! ____'s CHOKING!!" and my other big brother came up and did the himlech maneuver . It was so scary

Perot4Prez
08/09/12 8:42 pm

On Friday, my neighbor set my apartment complex on fire. I went back in to rescue my dog. I was not afraid for my life. I was focused on saving her.

FrostedMin California
08/09/12 8:39 pm

This is a scary pole... I have never- the closest was when I was VERY VERY little and we got in a car wreck and I had to be shipped to the hospital in an ambulance. It all turned out fine but since I was little I kept on thinking "oh no I'm gonna die!" but that wasn't true. So I guess "maybe"

ELATeacher
08/09/12 8:00 pm

Yep, right before my car flipped over, and as the roof was crushing down on me, ended up with only one minor scratch. Thank God.

beamie Michigan
08/09/12 7:02 pm

My ex husband attacked me with a pair of scissors. I tried to get them out of his hands, and some how he got me in a chock hold. I was able to fight him off. Police arrested him. I live every day in fear he will find where I live now an finish it.

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
08/09/12 6:44 pm

Wuya= same here, but it was like breathing through a bended bendy straw (25% breathing). All through that night, I was saying "help" silently. I knew it wasnt just the normal sickness.

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
08/09/12 6:40 pm

Hardy HURR, I'm gunna pull a prank on the demo-craps! I was scared when OBAMA was elected!!! HARDY HURR. If you haven't noticed, I'm joking.

joshg USS Battleship Alabama
08/09/12 3:45 pm

When I was 28 I had to have emergency brain surgery for a broken aneurysm. The surgery went well but my recovery didn't once my brain began to swelled. I said goodbye to my wife while in intensive care. The experience changed my perspective on life for many years.

Redemption97
08/09/12 3:21 pm

Me and my friend were chased by coyotes... That sucked

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
08/09/12 1:33 pm

...those people who helped me I tried to get the two men's name, but to this day I don't know who they where. The woman who stayed by my side, even though I wasn't SERIOUSLY hurt, we are still friends to this day. The world has good people, I believe that :-)

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
08/09/12 1:31 pm

..until the ambulance came, even though I was not seriously injured. Thankfully, I just had scraps and bruises. Two men actually chased down the drunk driver, got his license plate number and called it in. I. just KNEW I was going to die, but it wasn't my time.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
08/09/12 1:27 pm

...while I spun about three times and almost hit a pole. Thank God I was alone and didn't hit anyone in the process of spinning, but I was pretty rattled. I regained faith in humanity when several drivers stopped traffic, ran to my car and yanked me out if it. One woman wouldn't leave my side...

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
08/09/12 1:24 pm

Got into a nasty car accident back in 2007. Drunk driver hit me from the side when he pulled out into the intersection after running a red light as I was going about 50 mph. HE continued to drive on, even though he just hit me and damn near threw himself into the wrong side of traffic...

08/09/12 12:33 pm

Way too much crack will do that to me

08/09/12 12:00 pm

I had another attack that night where I could barely breathe, but this time my mom put Vicks Vapo Rub on me and surprisingly it worked. I went to the doctor and she gave me the right diagnosis..plus right after the bronchitis was over I got pneumonia. Oy.vey

08/09/12 11:55 am

I had. bronchitis but didn't know it. my lungs were filled up with mucous and I could barely breathe. And being morbidly obese didn't help at all. When I get to the ED, the Dr. tells me I have a Respiratory Virus, and gave me an inhaler and sent me home. CONT

spero42 Warrington, PA
08/09/12 11:08 am

Fell off a zip line and broke my neck. I was touch-and-go in the hospital for a week...

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
08/09/12 10:21 am

Last winter my mom's car spun out of control, crossed 2 lanes of traffic going to opposite way, and slammed into a snow bank. If that snow bank hadn't stopped the car, we would have gone down a hill and into a frozen lake.

08/09/12 10:19 am

I had pneumonia for weeks and stupidly ignored it. I suddenly woke up at 1 AM with about 10% breathing capacity.. Like breathing through a coffee straw. I thought I wouldn't make it to the ER before suffocating. The doctors said I was lucky. It was the most frightening moment in my life.

snafu Washington
08/09/12 10:01 am

When I had food poisoning and was really sick, when my brother was passing a car and the a**hole sped up and a semi was coming, when we rode a tiny boat while in Cabo to go see the arch and the ocean was so rough we asked the guy to turn around...

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/09/12 10:01 am

RoleMode3 so you're saying if you were in a dark theater hiding under the seats in a cloud of tear gas with bullets and debris flying all around you, you might be a little scared, but wouldn't fear for your life unless you were actually injured? You have more nerve than me.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
08/09/12 9:28 am

I believe once a person truly fears for their life once, they will never do so again. Either they will avoid life threatening situations, or they will find the fear has left them.

brothernai
08/09/12 9:10 am

I almost drowned in big waves when surfing. The waves wobble hold me under the water for 20-30 seconds at a time. The only way that I survived was because the waves eventually washed me onto a sandbar

08/09/12 8:46 am

Sorry! Not saying that all these stories wouldn't be terrifying and in some cases life changing situations, because they are. Just not what I had in mind when reading "afraid for your life"

EarlyBird Portland
08/09/12 8:44 am

Role model - don't ruin it! People are expressing their feelings. I'm enjoying all the stories.

08/09/12 8:44 am

I just think that there's a big difference between terrified and fearing for your safety and truly fearing for your life..like fearing for your life to me involves something actually going wrong and being injured, not just almost having something happen

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
08/09/12 8:41 am

Who does think rationally when panicked? So I said no. Even if I saw an arrow coming for my eye I'm not sure I'd be truly scared for my life… Anyway.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
08/09/12 8:41 am

Define "truly scared for your life" for me please? Nearly drowning may have come close since it made me afraid of water for the next 2 years (I was 5 at the time). But I don't know how to define it. Pretty shaken? Yep. Many times. Thought I might die? A few times. Was I thinking rationally though?…

08/09/12 8:28 am

for me most of these people "feared for their lives" in the same way that someone says they are "starving" because they haven't eaten in 10 hours