badattitude December 19th, 2015 2:26am

A recent poll shows that 70% of mothers played outside as children. Only 31% of their children play outside. Is this a disturbing trend involving personal electronic devices?

CrzyChica
12/19/15 8:30 am

There are HUGE amounts of research concerning the importance of movement and play in early childhood development. Kids learn and their brains develop through hands on and physical activity. Too much time with electronics, and too many activities that are adult-directed nowadays.

badattitude no place like home
12/19/15 9:39 am

Right. I make my girls go outside with the horses, goats, dogs, and the lawn for soccer. At least until it's dark.

susanr Colorado
12/19/15 11:32 am

Back in the old days when the only "electronic devices" kids had were televisions (and not a personal one in their own bedroom, either), I raised my daughter without a television in the house. (I didn't prohibit it elsewhere; that would have been mean and counterproductive; so she watched PBS at her grandmother's house and who-knows-what at friends' houses.)

She got razzed by kids at school asking her "What on earth do you do, if you can't watch TV?"

badattitude no place like home
12/19/15 11:33 am

Right? They just thought that was crazy huh. Too funny

susanr Colorado
12/19/15 11:35 am

Her answers: Read. Play games (meaning board or card games, back then). Go outside and play. Read. Talk to people. Read. Play with my dolls. Read. Help cook dinner. Go outside and run around. Read... Etc.

She's thanked me *many* times for not having a TV in the house... And at 48 she still reads (a *lot*), and still plays outside. She does live with a TV now, but doesn't really watch live TV much at all.

I can barely imagine trying to raise a kid without a TV now, or without some kind of electronic device.

susanr Colorado
12/19/15 11:39 am

Personally, I think it's fine for kids to have and use electronic devices, if they're used *well* (and I look to a certain guy in Scotland for good use of electronics in a school, at any rate). But just going outside to play, or study nature, etc., is invaluable in a number of ways.

bartman71 USW
12/18/15 8:44 pm

I don't know that electronic devices are as big a factor, as heightened safety concerns, though electronics are definitely a factor.