PamGH December 18th, 2015 3:48pm

Sarah, extreme rare juv arthritis, massively debilitating, would die in her 20's. At 22 she went to Mexico for stem cell treatment. Her life has is normal 4 the 1st time. I urge u 2 read the story. Why can she not get the treatment in the US?

commonsense America isnt racist
12/21/15 8:24 pm

Crazy religious people will not allow it.

SanFran876 Philly
12/20/15 12:31 am

Because a lot of religious people think that stem cells only come from aborted fetuses (you can get them from umbilical cord blood and even from your own nose mucus membrane as examples) so politicians keep banning stem cell research from its full potential because of religion.
IMHO Religion should play ZERO roll in our laws. This is the land of the free and we should be free to believe (or not believe) whatever we want and while I'm a Catholic I think forcing others to follow my God is wrong. I believe in God we trust but I don't feel I should force that on an atheist or agnostic or anyone who believes in a different deity. If we could just ban all religion from politics and government, we would scientifically and medically advance much faster. Again, just my opinion, but I think it plays a huge part in why she could get treatment elsewhere instead of at home in the US.

Bev
12/20/15 8:09 am

Stem cell research is not banned in the US. Federal funding cannot be used to create and destroy an embryo for research purposes. That's it.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
12/18/15 2:18 pm

Needs FDA approval. They need to fast track some promising treatments. We also need to be protected.

Bev
12/18/15 1:45 pm

The FDA is too powerful. To be fair, if something goes wrong with any experimental treatment then they have to take the blame. They are responsible for telling us that some vitamin is safe or not and our red tape requires years and years of tests.... Not to mention the money involved. If the FDA okayed the treatment then insurance must pay. I doubt that ObamaCare, Medicaid, or Medicare could cough up that kind of money. Private insurance would even balk at that. We should have the option of experimental treatments but someone would have to pay for it. I'm sure medical treatment is cheaper in Mexico because of less government involvement. It's sort of a catch 22....

Wino I need a drink
12/18/15 12:59 pm

I think there are a few factors:
1- the FDA is lobbied by big pharma on a regular basis
2- the FDA needs to be reexamined and reformed because of outdated procedures
3- morons out there have lobbied strong against stem cell research. The progress that we could be making is years behind because people don't truly understand what stem cell research entails. This has been a fight for over a decade and there is still a ton of false information out there.

PamGH Washington
12/18/15 1:04 pm

Bless you for your comment sir😇

googer11 Minnesota
12/18/15 1:39 pm

Wino, absolutely!

TheMobius Siberian Gulag
12/18/15 2:11 pm

Inb4 "big pharma? Tin foil hatz!"

missmorganmarie ...
12/18/15 12:11 pm

that is an amazing story. thank you for posting it. I wish the FDA allowed for this in the US

PamGH Washington
12/18/15 12:17 pm

Thank you for looking at the article. The pure misery this girl lived with could not possibly fit into the poll.

missmorganmarie ...
12/18/15 7:43 pm

agreed. so glad she is healthy and can live a long healthy life

professorwho Madness and Genius
12/18/15 11:43 am

FDA is lagging behind progress, like much of the government is.

stoner38
12/18/15 9:30 am

For profit healthcare

bartman71 USW
12/18/15 12:58 pm

This exactly.

aj1545 Cat Lady
12/18/15 5:23 pm

Came here to say the same.

PamGH Washington
12/18/15 8:58 am

FDA is behind in its rules about fast evolving science. Those in terrible situations should be allowed to try experimental treatment if they so choose.

aj1545 Cat Lady
12/18/15 5:25 pm

I totally agree. Lots of uncommon conditions run in my family. Experimental medicine is hugely important to so many who have no other options, Ive seen them. And in the meantime, you add data to research by recording these outcomes. Whats to lose?