SunsetLeopard December 17th, 2015 6:03pm

I'm talking to a couple for whom I may become a gestational surrogate mother for. Women: If you physically could be, would you ever be a surrogate mother? Men: Would you be ok with your SO being a surrogate mother? (Singles-Answer as if you have one)

breanne Denver, Co
12/17/15 1:58 pm

I'm doing this right now - 14 weeks pregnant. I'd be happy to answer any questions or put you in touch with some surrogacy related communities. It is a very kind thing to do, but I would definitely consider some compensation. It's a lot of work.

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 2:17 pm

That's awesome :) they just lost their pregnancy so it may be a while before they commit but they said they would seriously consider it. The biggest thing I'm worried about though is losing it for them. Especially now that they've already lost one

breanne Denver, Co
12/17/15 2:44 pm

Miscarriage is just as common for ivf as natural pregnancies so I wouldn't let that fear deter you or them. It's a long process especially after their recent loss, but I'm sure your offer of support is a beam of hope for them. Good luck!

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 2:47 pm

Thanks :) and good luck with your pregnancy

MrChris80 California
12/17/15 1:02 pm

Wow, really? Thats a big decision. Are you doing okay SL?

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 1:11 pm

Yea mostly thanks...and yea it is, but this couple has been trying for a couple of years now and they just lost their first successful IVF pregnancy after only a few weeks. I have such a personal connection to pregnancies, babies and the whole family-making process that if I could give someone a baby of their own, it's worth every pain and difficulty.

MrChris80 California
12/17/15 1:30 pm

Thats awesome. :) ... Do consider carefully what you should charge them. May want to have a lawyer draw up a simple contract. Just to be safe and fair. This is so huge. But what an amazing way to bless someone. :)

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 2:16 pm

Exactly :) and if they decide to take this route we can discuss payments later but I don't feel right making them pay too much

bs75758 Michigan
12/17/15 12:58 pm

I would not want my wife to do it. Too much stress on a woman's body.

leilu SoCal
12/17/15 12:41 pm

I would do it, but pregnancy is very hard on my body so for that reason alone I would not.

RebelProud Bungholio
12/17/15 11:36 am

Honestly it depends on how much money we are talking.

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 11:38 am

For free...just maybe help with costs of Dr visits and occasional childcare

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 11:40 am

But surrogates usually get paid anywhere from $10,000-$30,000 going through an agency

Rosebud Ohio
12/17/15 11:30 am

I was looking into it after my first kid. Since then I've had 2 more (difficult) pregnancies. I would only put myself through that hell for a very very special person. So probably just my two best friends (a couple). Frankly I don't ever see them asking me to go through it again though, or being a couple to choose surrogacy anyways.

Pregnancy is hard enough when you're going to be taking home your own child. Kudos to people who do it though.

Rosebud Ohio
12/17/15 11:32 am

And referring to gestational btw. I'd donate eggs anonymously maybe, but never be a traditional surrogate.

SunsetLeopard Still writing my story
12/17/15 11:07 am

This poll is mainly referring to gestational surrogacy as opposed to traditional surrogacy but you can answer for either

*Gestational - A surrogate is implanted with an embryo created by IVF, using intended mother's egg and donor sperm. The resulting child is genetically related to intended mother and genetically unrelated to the surrogate.

Traditional - A woman who is artificially inseminated with the father's sperm. She then carries the baby and delivers it for the parents to raise. A traditional surrogate is the baby's biological mother. That's because it was her egg that was fertilized by the father's sperm.