F1Dan December 17th, 2015 1:51am

Inspired by MrMilkdud: Does Google have any obligation to be unbiased in the results you are shown?

elemental21
12/17/15 12:03 pm

Also inspired by the MrMilk. Does Google have any obligation to explain away conspiracy theories based on your complete lack of technical knowledge?

dlaw4570
12/17/15 9:30 am

Only to their market share...but I still prefer Google over something like Bing...

beast81 Illinois
12/17/15 8:58 am

Obligation? No. But it would be in the best interest of their "customers".

Highlander1 Iowa
12/17/15 7:32 am

Private company with private interests.

jvc1133 61535
12/17/15 5:10 am

Yes, or don't use them, I do the later.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/15 1:15 am

Only if they cared about their users - but I've seen no evidence they do, so...

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/15 1:16 am

Which is why I only use DuckDuckGo.com, my search setting in my browser...

catpillow Florida West Coast
12/16/15 10:20 pm

I guess they really don't have any obligation, but if they give the impression of favoring democrats they might lose republican business... Or vice versa. I think it's in their interest to appear politically neutral.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/16/15 8:56 pm

No, which is one of the reasons Google is not the only, or even the first choice when searching. That their page now defaults to the crappy mobile version in Safari on an iPad is an even better reason, even if that's mostly Apple's fault (the unwanted default - that the mobile version is crappy is all Google).

Muhammad The Prophet
12/16/15 9:16 pm

What's a better alternative in your mind?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/16/15 9:56 pm

It depends on what I'm looking for, and I still use Google a lot, especially for images and entertainment related searches. My first choice for general use is DuckDuckGo, Yahoo for financial related searches, and Bing for politics and news. They all have their strong points, and a lot of the differences are just in the way the results are formatted. I stopped using Google as my first choice back when it started defaulting to the Plus page for search if I was still signed in to any of their other products, which I just HATE. When Google started defaulting to a mobile version on the iPad (and a truly horrible one at that) I started actively avoiding it.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/16/15 10:00 pm

Oh, and Wolfram Alpha for anything involving calculations or distances between points. I don't use it nearly as often as the others, but for some things it is really, really great.

Muhammad The Prophet
12/16/15 10:19 pm

Thanks for the response. I love wolframalpha, but mainly because I'm in a university math course ;)

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/17/15 1:19 am

Hmmm... I've set my default search to DuckDuckGo & that's where all my search go... MacBookPro, iPad Mini 3 & iPod Touch before it committed suicide. Haven't used Google in over 3 years from any platform/device...

MrMilkdud
12/16/15 8:12 pm

No, no obligation whatsoever.

I do think they have an ethical obligation to be open about their bias, if they have any.

F1Dan Parked in your spot
12/16/15 7:35 pm

I don't see how that is relevant to the question. Unless you believe that Microsoft does have an obligation to be unbiased but Google does not. Do you?

rons WOKE is sick
12/16/15 8:06 pm

The lesser of the two evils.

susanr Colorado
12/16/15 6:58 pm

No. But I'm not getting the seemingly biased results that MrMilkdud said he was getting, in his poll question, either. I'm getting some campaign orgs as top hits for some Republicans, & not Sander's org, although the results also vary depending on whether I'm using my iPad or my computer.

F1Dan Parked in your spot
12/16/15 7:34 pm

I've never noticed anything blatantly biased in Google's results unless that is something I was trying to get to come up. MilkDud's poll just inspired a more broad question.

susanr Colorado
12/16/15 7:37 pm

I've heard stuff about them giving some results preference, but I really don't remember the details. (I suppose one could google that to find out...) I'm almost positive it wasn't related to politics, though.

Rosebud Ohio
12/17/15 10:43 pm

I've never noticed a bias either. Not when I was extremely conservative and not now.

TNBONES East Tennessee
12/16/15 6:54 pm

I don't think so. There are other search engines and companies besides Google. Just don't use them.

Korosensei Maine